How Can I Train Myself To Sleep On My Back
Here are a few tips if you want to train yourself for back sleeping:
- First, youll need a supportive mattress to ensure your body can properly relax without sacrificing spinal alignment.
- Your choice of pillow, as weve covered, is key because it needs to maintain a neutral position for your neck.
- A pillow tucked beneath your knees or lower back can also help relieve pressure in your spine if youre stuck with a soft mattress.
- Spread out your arms and legs to better distribute your weight and avoid pressure on your joints.
- Tuck a pillow on either side of your body as a gentle reminder not to roll over.
If youre new to back sleeping, expect it will take some time to build up to a full night in this position.
Brooklyn Bedding Luxury Cooling Memory Foam Pillow
This pillows cool gel surface draws heat away while ventilation increases airflow to keep the surface fresh while you sleep. Another neat feature? Copper graphite, which raises the breathability and antimicrobial benefits. And lets not forget the memory foam, which reacts to your head and gently supports your head, neck, and shoulders all night long. But the best part is that it comes in both a low and high profile, and the site will recommend the right one for you, whether youre a side, stomach, or back sleeper. One reviewer shares that you can even feel the coolness of this pillow through a flannel pillowcase, so theres no need to worry about your choice of pillowcase affecting its cooling qualities. Speaking of flanneldont forget to stock up on the best flannel sheets thatll make your bed cozy and warm.
Best For Pillow For Stomach + Side Combo Sleepers Winkbed Pillow
- washable cover for easy cleaning
- gel-infused memory foam cubes for cool pressure relief and breathability
- zippered cover, allows users to adjust the thickness.
The Winkbed pillow offers adjustable cushion for different kinds of sleepers but it’s highly recommended for stomach sleepers who need a fair amount of cushion for their neck. In addition, this pillow is highly breathable, making sure you enjoy your sleep even while your head is deep in the pillows, making it great for side sleepers as well. The result? You get both cooler sleep and high comfort levels.
Now, the cover is made of textured polyester that has a circular-knit design. It is soft, smooth, and very pleasant to the touch, which means it wont annoy you during sleep. Another cool thing about the cover is that it can easily be removed. It is machine washable, which will make cleaning much easier for you.
Additionally, the cover is zippered. This means you can open up your pillow and either add or remove the memory foam cubes, adjusting the loft according to your comfort preferences.
And heres the kicker: no matter how many cubes there are, you will not feel them. Why? Because the WinkBed pillow has an inner memory foam liner under the cover, which offers additional comfort and eliminates the potential tiny lumps of foam cubes you may feel.
Also Check: Can You Use A Regular Box Spring With Casper Mattress
Dreamcloud Best Rest Pillow
Are you a combo sleeper searching for a pillow especially for when you roll into that side-sleeping position? Check out the Best Rest!
The Best Rest is a cooling, memory foam pillow by mattress giant DreamCloud. I chose the Best Rest because it has nice support for back and side sleepers, and especially back/side combination sleepers.
Damome Soft Down Pillows For Sleeping Queen
- MORE DOWN AND FEATHER FILLING: High quality pillows inner filling is 30% Down & 70% Feather, which is unmatched by other down alternative pillows. It has excellent breathability, allowing good absorption and quick drying. Also, this Down Pillow is very soft thanks to the large down clusters it filled with and it could spring back within seconds.
- GUARANTEED HYPOALLERGENIC: Guaranteed pure natural, high cleanness. You know that a good down pillow does have its natural smell. In addition, being sealed in plastic packaging sometimes causes the scent of these natural products to concentrate to a disagreeable level. At least 4 hours of airing can remove the scent easily.
- NOT POKING OUT: The soft sleeping down pillow adopts unique FOUR-LAYER Design to ensure enough support with soft and completely avoid pin feather poking out. And fine hand sewing piping and hemming can effectively prevent down leakage make the pillow more fluffy and beautiful.
- SET OF 2 VALUE PACK: Its great value for money. Save money for Your Healthy and Comfortable Life. If maintained properly, give them 2-3 hours of sun bathing regularly, it can be used for over ten years.
- PERFECT FOR ALL POSITIONS: Down pillows naturally contour with your upper body better than memory foam pillows. It provides medium support, side, back, and stomach sleepers all agree that this is the perfect pillow for them.
Read Also: How Often Do You Need To Replace A Tempurpedic Mattress
Xtreme Comforts Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
Consumer Score: 80% gave it 4 stars or moreAn affordable, quality shredded memory foam pillow that you can adjust to your liking.
Size options: Queen, king | Firmness: Adjustable | Fill type: Shredded memory foam | Cover material: Bamboo
- Machine washable
- May have initial chemical smell
Xtreme Comfortss pillow offers similar features at a slightly less expensive cost than the Coop Home Goods model. You can remove its shredded memory foam to find the right amount of support, though it doesnt come with any extra to add like Coop Home Goods offers. Its bamboo cover is fairly cool, and its dust mite-resistant and fully machine washable. As one of Wirecutters top picks after years of testing, itsreviewers wrote that most of our back- and side-sleepers, as well as a few stomach-sleepers, have liked it over the years. Some experienced issues with the pillow arriving with a chemical smell, though Xtreme Comforts offers a one-year return policy if this remains an issue for you.
What Pillows Do Hotels Use
With down lauded as the ultimate luxury, many top rated hotels will use down, or feather-filled blend. After all, down pillows are often the best all rounders when it comes to sleep position. So while memory foam options are really good for the individual buyer especially the options that can be customised they aren’t quite as versatile for multiple users.
For the full boutique feel, teaming a best pillow with one of the best duvets will ensure what you’re sleeping under is just as good as what you’re sleeping on.
Don’t Miss: Who Makes The Best Pillow Top Mattress
A Memory Foam Pillow Thats Made To Your Specifications
Fill Material: Memory foam | Size Options: Standard, king | Density: Your choice
Plutos customizable pillowthe first of its kind, the company boastscomes recommended by two Forbes Vetted editors. To get a pillow made just for you, simply fill out a brief online quiz about your current pillow, pillow preferences and sleep style, and the companys algorithm will deliver a recommendation for the best model for you. And in the unlikely event you dont end up loving your pillow, rest assured that Plutos 110-night risk-free trial gives you an easy out .
Our Pillow Testing Methodology
To learn more about what to look for in a pillow, we spoke with Rebecca Robbins, sleep researcher, author, and instructor in medicine at Harvard Medical School and associate scientist at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital. However, there is no one-size-fits-all, best pillow for everyone.
Individual anatomy, sleep habits, and preferences profoundly impact how comfortable a pillow will be from person to person. For that reason, our rating criteria for this guide relied heavily on the following considerations:
Return policy and trial period: It’s impossible to know how comfortable a pillow is going to be for you until you sleep on it, despite how comprehensive our guide aims to be. “The most important thing is trying the pillows out to see what works for you,” said Robbins, which includes being able to touch, lay on, and sleep with a pillow before deciding if it’s right for you. For this guide, we only considered pillows that accept returns of used merchandise for a full refund with at least a 30-day trial window, which gives you ample time to decide if a pillow is right for you.
Adjustability: We prioritized adjustable pillows with removable inserts or shredded fill for dialing in your perfect loft. This creates a more custom pillow that would better suit your needs.
Recommended Reading: Should I Sleep On A Hard Or Soft Mattress
The Best Pillows For Every Type Of Sleep Position
Few things are more sacred than getting a good nights rest, and if you value your sleep, you know the importance of picking the right pillow. A low-quality pillow can be the difference between sleeping smoothly through the night and waking up every hour with uncomfortable neck and shoulder pain.
But finding a pillow thats best for you isnt just about how fluffy and cloud-like it is. The first thing you should consider is your sleeping position. A pillow thats comfortable for a side sleeper may not be the ideal choice for a back sleeper. And if you tend to alternate sleeping positions during the night, it can be even more difficult to figure out what type of pillow is best for you.
Its important to use a pillow thats appropriate for the way you sleep because a lot of tension gets translated into our neck and through the rest of our body, said Gbolahan Okubadejo, an orthopedic surgeon and leader of the Institute for Comprehensive Spine Care in the New York City area. Because we are stationary when we sleep for hours at a time, its critical that we have a pillow that matches our sleep style to optimize our spine health.
Below are some of the best options, whether youre a side, stomach or back sleeper.
Why Its Good For Down Lovers
Even with a higher loft, the pillows super-soft feel makes it easy to compress and fold into the loft of your liking. As I mentioned up top, this kind of versatility lends itself well to combo-sleeping! Sleepers shouldnt feel too stuck while changing sleeping positions on this pillow.
Additionally, down-lovers might like to know that this pillow has been treated with Ultra Fresh Antibacterial Additives, an OEKO-Tex certified technology used to make it hypoallergenic. So, if youve avoided real down because of sensitive skin or allergies, take note that this pillow was crafted to be extra resistant to mold and mildew.
Need more information? Head over to our full Brooklinen Down Pillow Review.
Price: $99119, with a one-year warranty.
Recommended Reading: How Much Does A Queen Mattress And Box Spring Weigh
Best For Neck Pain: The Saatva Pillow
Chronic neck pain comes in all shapes and sizes, and exacerbating it can be avoided with the right pillow on hand. The Saatva Pillow accounts for your personal struggle, thanks to its 100 percent shredded Talalay latex core which promotes flexible support for your neck and head.
The 100 percent organic cotton pillow cover is breathable and moisture-wicking. With its hypoallergenic latex core, youll sleep incredibly soundly. Theres a nice balance of supportive construction and pressure-free components. Although it is on the expensive side, with the premium price tag comes first-rate comfort.
Weekender Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Pillow
Regular memory foam pillows may also work well for back sleepers, especially if they dont tend to shift a lot throughout the night, shares Dr. Okubadejo. The insides of this Weekender pillow arent just composed of regular, old memory foamits gel-infused, ventilated memory foam. Youll notice immediately how your pressure points will be relieved and supported, like a cozy hug. The gel and vents also promote a cool feel and breathability, defusing any heat from your head. Fun fact: Memory foam is one of the everyday items you had no idea were created by NASA.
Recommended Reading: How To Choose The Best Mattress For You
Best Overall Pillow For Back Sleepers
Parachute Down Pillow
The Parachute Down Pillow is made with European down for luxurious support.
With three densities including soft, medium, and firm you can pick the perfect pillow for your preferred sleeping style. For back sleepers, the medium-density pillow offers softness with a moderate amount of fluff to keep your spine properly aligned.
Hundreds of self-proclaimed back and side sleepers praise the pillows comfort and support in both positions.
This pillow comes with a 3-year warranty but no trial period. It can be dry cleaned or machine washed.
How To Choose A Knee Pillow
Although knee pillows from different brands might look similar at a glance, they do vary in terms of materials, construction, and features. Some people find more comfort in certain knee pillows than others because of these differences.
When purchasing a knee pillow, its important to keep your needs and characteristics in mind. Your sleep position preference, body weight, and budget impact which pillow is best for you.
Also Check: How Long Does Average Mattress Last
Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Pillow
Latex foam is much more responsive and bouncy than traditional memory foam. Brooklyn Bedding uses this type of foam in its Talalay Latex pillow.
We love this pillow for back sleeping because of the latex foams responsiveness, but its incredibly supportive, too. This will keep your head in a neutral position and keep your chin in line with your chest.
This pillow comes in two lofts, a low and high loft, which work for different body types. Lightweight sleepers will enjoy the low loft pillow, while heavier back sleepers will enjoy the high loft. Average weight back sleepers will enjoy either one depending on your preference.
What Makes the Brooklyn Bedding Pillow Stand Out?
- Talalay latex is soft, but very responsive and supportive.
- Two loft options makes it a great choice for back sleepers of all body types.
- It wont trap heat because the latex has been perforated with holes to allow for airflow.
Types Of Combination Sleeper Pillows
A combination pillow is made from several types of materials, each with its properties. Knowing what every material does, should help you pick out the best kind of combination pillow for your needs:
- check Down Alternative: Unlike down pillows, these are less likely to lose their shape since they are filled with synthetic fibers. They feel, however, as soft as their down counterparts and were made to mimic real feathers regarding comfort.
- check Memory Foam: Memory foam pillows are among the most modern and also popular materials on the market. You can find them in different densities, and they work by simply contouring around your body, making it perfect for combination sleepers.
- check Buckwheat Hulls: Buckwheat pillows are filled with buckwheat hulls. Its usually inexpensive, and its fairly flexible and malleable. However, too much filling can provide too much support.
- Latex: Latex pillows are also quick to accommodate and offer plenty of support. They are also excellent at dissipating heat and provide super ventilation properties, making them perfect for people living in warmer climates. They are also mold and mildew-resistant, making them the ideal choice for those fighting with allergies.
- Gel: This type of pillow is something like a combo between memory foam and latex. The primary material is memory foam that has been enhanced with gel for extra flexibility. This will allow the pillow to mold perfectly around you and provide the support that you need.
Also Check: How Much Does A Purple Mattress Weigh
Why Its Good For Nature Lovers
While testing, we noticed great breathability with its organic cotton cover. This also makes it a nice option for sleepers with sensitive skin. Its all-natural Dunlop latex and vegan Kapok material are added bonuses. The pillow is even GREENGUARD Gold Certified by UL Environment, which means that with the production of this pillow, Avocado has seriously cut down on emissions and the risk of chemical exposure.
That said, one of the other great things about this pillow is that its adjustable. If you ever find that its too firm or lofty, simply unzip the cover, reach inside, and play around with the stuffing until you reach your perfect comfort zone. Its also worth noting that pillows filled with natural materials tend to do a great job of maintaining their shape over time, and I definitely found that to be the case with this one!
For all the details on this cozy organic pillow, check out my full Avocado pillow review. And while youre at it, take a peek at our Avocado mattress review, too!
Price: $89$109, with a 100-night trial and one-year warranty.
Best Overall Pillow For Side Sleepers
Dr. Thomas Schuler, chairman of the National Spine Health Foundations Medical and Scientific Board and founder of the Virginia Spine Institute Dr. Janet Kennedy, clinical psychologist and founder of NYC Sleep Doctor
The Strategist is designed to surface the most useful, expert recommendations for things to buy across the vast e-commerce landscape. Some of our latest conquests include the best mens wardrobe basics, white T-shirts for men, jeans for men, white sneakers for men, and flattering clothes for men. We update links when possible, but note that deals can expire and all prices are subject to change.
Every editorial product is independently selected. If you buy something through our links, New York may earn an affiliate commission.
You May Like: How Do You Know What Mattress Is Best For You