How Often Should You Buy A New Mattress
The general recommendation is to buy a new mattress every 8 years, but when your mattress needs replacing depends on its type and how high-quality its materials are. An inexpensive innerspring mattress may be too unsupportive to sleep on within 5 or 6 years, while a quality foam mattress might last up to 15 years.
While age is an important factor to consider when it comes to replacing your mattress, the more important consideration might be your mattresss condition. Is the mattress still in good shape, or has it developed lumps, tears, permanent indentations, and sagging? Also ask yourself how well youre sleeping if you struggle to fall asleep or wake frequently in the night, it might because your mattress has grown uncomfortable.
Should You Buy A New Mattress For Your Second Baby
The answer to this depends on how you cared for it with your first child and how long you used it. If it was well taken care of, and you the baby switched to a new bed within the first three to five years, it probably has some life left in it.
On the other hand, if your first child had a lot of accidents that werent cleaned immediately, and they were spent a lot of time jumping and bouncing on the surface, it might be time for something new.
What To Look For In A New Mattress
Your preferred sleeping position will determine what type of mattress is best for you.
Many side sleepers will find a firmer surface to be more uncomfortable, since the mattress should give a bit to allow the shoulders to sink in, encouraging neutral spine alignment, says Kirschner.
Stomach and back sleepers generally prefer firmer mattresses. “But this is by no means set in stone and is highly personalized,” he says.
To figure out which option is best for you, try a mattress at the store that offers a guaranteed return policy. That way, if you bring it home and it’s not right, you can replace it for something that suits you more.
In the end, it’s about getting the right support for your spine. For a small 2011 study published in Biological Rhythm Research, researchers tested sleep quality among 32 participants half slept on a new spring mattress and the other half on a new latex mattress. Both groups of participants showed a significant improvement in overall sleep, leading the researchers to conclude that the type of mattress may not matter as much as whether or not the mattress was new and supportive.
Recommended Reading: Mattress Firm Cancellation Policy
How To Help Your Mattress Last Longer
When you buy a new mattress no matter what type theres plenty you can do to make it last longer, including:
- Rotating the mattress to keep the surface even and supporting you well. Check out our guide to rotating a mattress. Some mattresses can also be flipped, but check first, as many are one-sided only.
- Cleaning and airing your mattress to keep it fresh. There are several easy ways to do this, which we cover in our feature on how to clean a mattress. You should also regularly wash your bedding to prevent sweat, dust mites and bacteria reaching your mattress. Its also a good idea to keep pets off your mattress, especially heavier dogs, as the weight, and accidental tears from claws can quickly wear down a mattress.
- Use a protector or pad to safeguard from spills, stains, sweat and germs. These can be easily removed and washed too. See our top picks in our guides to the best mattress protectors.
- Get a sturdy foundation, such as a traditional bed frame with equally spaced slats, a box spring or a platform. Check with the mattress manufacturers recommendations on the best foundation to buy.
- Dont jump on your mattress! As fun as this is, it can lead to faster wear and tear, especially on any springs.
Hybrid Mattresses Vs Foam Beds
Above we briefly touched on how mattress construction can have an impact on its durability, and thats especially true if youre dealing with a hybrid mattress. A hybrid bed is simply a mattress that contains both foam and coils, and those coils play a big role in the prevention of sagging. Not only do coils provide more support compared to dense foams, but they also provide bi-directional resistance to pressure when you lay down.
Accordingly, if youre looking to use your next mattress for as long as possible, we think you should spring for a hybrid mattress . TempurPedic sells all-foam beds, as well as hybrid ones. You can check out our full review of the TempurPedic hybrid beds.
Read Also: Vacuflat Queen Mattress Bag
Clean Your Mattress Regularly
At least twice a year, go over your mattress with the upholstery attachment of your vacuum cleaner to get rid of dust, crumbs, and dust mites. Then deodorize your mattress by generously sprinkling baking soda all over it. Leave the baking soda on for a full day, then vacuum it up and go over your mattress one more time with the upholstery attachment.
Loss Of Mattress Integrity
Mattresses will no longer have their actual shape and structure after a decade. For example, the comfort layer at the top no longer compresses the same, there is sagging in the middle, or the surface developed lumps. Mattresses with metal parts like those in innerspring may even produce noises as the springs break down over the years.
You May Like: My Pilliw Topper
Memory Foam Durability: The Bottom Line
- With the right foams, memory foam mattresses can be incredibly durable, lasting well over the six to eight-year average.
- Density provides a quick way to gauge the foams overall durability. However, you have to take into account all of the mattresss layers and materials to get a better idea of its overall longevity.
- The warranty tells you how long the manufacturer expects the mattress to last.
Memory foam mattresses can be an excellent investment in your sleep health. When you know what youre looking for, you could have a new mattress that relieves pressure and cushions you into a better nights rest for years to come.
Noticeable Wear And Tear
The next time you change your sheets, scan over the entire mattress. Check for any significant lumps, saggy spots, worn edges, or rips in the material. These indicate the mattress has seen better days, and its usually not going to get any better. The sleep surface area will continue to wear down and any tears will only get bigger, allowing more dirt to enter the mattress.
Before going out to buy a brand new bed, check the warranty of your current mattress. Most brands are usually willing to replace a mattress with any manufacturing defects, excessive wear and tear despite normal usage, and sagging greater than 1 inch.
Also Check: Do You Need A Foundation For Casper Mattress
How Long Does A Mattress Last
Eachnight may earn commissions for products you purchase through our links. Our articles and reviews include affiliate links and advertisements, including amerisleep advertising. Learn more
A good mattress, like a good shirt or pair of shoes, wears well. Not only does it feel amazing from the get-go, but it gets even more comfortable with time. Mattresses start to gradually soften and conform to your body with every use. And once the initial adjustment period is over, you and your mattress are a perfect match.
This is when your bed is at its best perfect for sleeping, reading, watching TV, and all-around relaxing.
But just how long does a mattress last? Fortunately, mattresses have a reasonably long lifespan. While there is no firm rule for when to replace your bed, the best mattresses usually last between seven and 10 years thats about 2,500-3,500 sleeps! Of course, this depends upon the mattress type, materials used, and total time spent in bed.
Life Expectancy Of A Mattress
A good mattress can last between 7 to 10 years, possibly longer if properly cared for. Other factors can determine the lifespan of a mattress, like how often its used and the amount of weight applied to it. After several years, it may be a good idea to take a long, hard look at your current mattress and decide if its time to buy a new one. If your mattress is causing you pain, or you have trouble finding a comfortable spot, its time.
Time to upgrade your entire bed set? Read our guide on finding the most comfortable mattress for your sleep needs.
Also Check: Is The My Pillow Mattress Topper Any Good
How Do You Know When Its Time To Replace Your Mattress
- Muscle stiffness, aches and general fatigue: does your sleep suffer due to pain? Perhaps you experience stiffness in your back, neck, lower back or elsewhere? It can be easy to forget that we spend 8 hours every night lying on our mattresses and when they start to deteriorate, our sleep quality, comfort and physical wellbeing suffers.
- Signs of wear and tear: sagging, tears in the fabric and exposed springs.
- Noisy springs: mattresses that squeak are no fun, and should be replaced.
- Your asthma is flaring up: old mattresses gather dust mites asthma or allergies can often become worse when an individual is sleeping on an old mattress.
- Partner disturbance: an old, worn-and-torn mattress might not contain the latest support technology that minimises motion transfer, and you might find yourself being woken up by your partner. For undisturbed sleep for both you and your partner, we recommend upgrading your mattress.
Mattresses That Are Made To Last
If youre constantly tired when you wake up, it may be time to replace that old mattress especially if its over 10 years old. Fortunately, Casper has made it easy to find the right bed and quality mattress for you. Thanks to our amazing mattress innovations, you can rest blissfully knowing you have the best sleep technology on the market with Casper.
Also Check: Unboxing Dreamcloud Mattress
Pick A Mattress With Quality Materials
If you want your mattress to last long, you should be working with the best materials possible. When buying a mattress, dont skimp on quality for price chances are the better mattress will last longer than the mattress made from cheap materials.
The best way to indicate whether or not a mattress is made with good materials is to read reviews. Reviews from people who have bought the mattress will indicate how it sleeps after a few weeks. If it already starts to deteriorate, its probably not a good mattress.
The web is also filled with sites that spend time doing mattress testing and reviews. You can use their pages for a deeper dive into how the mattress is constructed and how each of the layers and materials contributes to your comfort or support.
How Long Does An Innerspring Mattress Last
Springs wear down over time and can cause sagging, meaning that innerspring mattresses generally have a lifespan of around five to seven years. But they are extremely popular due to their bounce, comfort and cheaper price tags.
Of course, this can be a false economy as you will end up replacing your mattress more often. If you do want an innerspring bed, its worth looking at one with an extra layer of coils combined with a soft pillow top for extra comfort.
Recommended Reading: How Much Does The My Pillow Mattress Topper Cost
How Long Should A Mattress Last Consumer Reports
How long will the mattress last? Consumer Reports estimates that a mattress in good condition will last at least ten years . The BSC recommends that the mattress has a lifespan of 7 years.
Dux Bed CostHow long should a Dux bed last?| Our reports show that most Duxiana 6006 mattresses offer adequate comfort and support for around six to seven years, which is on par with the average mattress, but given the price, longevity may still be too short for some buyers. .Is a Duxiana bed worth the money in this regard?The expensive Duxiana Dux 515 mattress is no good. The 7,554 Duxiana Dux 515 mattress is not the most expensive luxury mattress on the market. Anyone who spends nearl
Know Your Mattress Warranty
Even the best mattress on the market is going to age. A good way to know how long a mattress will last is to look at the companys warranty policy.
Most standard mattress warranties offer ten years of coverage. However, many brands are beginning to offer 15, 20, and even lifetime warranties with their beds. When judging a warranty, read the fine print to determine whats covered and what fees youd be responsible for in the event of a warranty claim.
Being prepared ahead of time makes repairing or replacing your mattress much easier.
Recommended Reading: My Pillow Mattress Topper Cost
Keep Your Mattress Protected
Anyone whos tried to clean a dirty or stained mattress knows how hard the task can be. Save yourself the hours of blotting and dabbing by keeping your mattress from stains in the first place. A popular way to do this is by using either a mattress protector or mattress pad. While a mattress protector is a thin, almost sheer, layer of material which wraps around like a fitted sheet, a mattress pad is a thicker cover placed on top of the mattress. Both covers go in between your mattress and bedsheet, acting as a protective layer of defense against dust and dirt.
All You Need To Know About Tempur
- Construction and Firmness
Like you probably already guessed, Tempur-Pedic mattresses are constructed with Tempur material. This is a sort of high-density memory foam like the ones found in foam pillows. The producers of these mattresses make use of a layered construction technique.
Usually, varied Tempur foams are used to create the first two layers of the mattress to give different comfort options. The rest of the mattress is then constructed with two to three more layers of varying foam quality and thickness.
The Tempur material used is what makes it easy for the bed to conform to the contours and body shape of the sleeper. It also helps to distribute the sleepers weight evenly, and as such, sleepers do not tend to wake up with body pains.
- Sizing and Pricing
The prices of Tempur-Pedic mattresses differ depending on the particular model and size. These mattresses are a little on the pricey side, especially when compared to the prices of other standard beds.
However, they are worth the cost when you consider their advantages. Meanwhile, Tempur-Pedic mattresses come in all the different standard mattress sizes.
How to Clean a Tempur-Pedic Mattress Topper?
Tempur Pedic mattresses usually come with an anti-microbial removable mattress cover. Whenever youre ready to clean it, all you need do is unzip the cover and wash it in cold water.
How Long Does a TempurPedic Mattress typically last?
Don’t Miss: Do You Need A Foundation For Casper Mattress
Wear Signs By Mattress Type
Here are the common signs of wear and tear for each type of mattress.
- Innerspring mattresses have coils that can get out of place and poke through. Moreover, they can get really noisy and have worse motion isolation with time. An innerspring mattress has a comfort foam layer over the coils. This layer of foam can get worn or flattened out, making the mattress uneven, and uncomfortable. Finally, such a mattress sags and later becomes unusable. Pocketed coils are typically better at motion isolation and can help the spring mattress last longer.
- Hybrid mattresses have coils and a thick layer of memory foam or latex foam to provide better motion isolation, comfort, and support. But still, an old hybrid will start sagging when the coils give in.
- Memory foam mattresses can also sag, but this problem happens later than in most other mattresses. Their problem is that they lose support and become uneven. They wont have the memory property after several years.
- Latex mattresses will become softer over time. A natural latex mattress is biodegradable and the more you use it, the shorter its lifespan. A synthetic latex mattress is typically less durable and less springy than a natural one.
If you havent cleaned it regularly, your mattress is also likely to have a bad smell of all the sweat, body oils, skin cells, and dust mites that have accumulated over the years.
Caring For A Stearns & Foster Mattress
Taking good care of a mattress will help it to last longer. Stearns & Foster mattresses offer durability, but the right care will protect it. The first way to ensure your mattress stays in good condition is by carrying it properly. At Best Sleep, we offer white glove service for delivery, ensuring your mattress is carefully delivered. At least two people should carry the mattress and avoid bending it, although flexing it to move it should be fine. A mattress protector will help to keep it clean, and vacuuming it can be used to clean the mattress when necessary. Mild soap and water can be used carefully to clean any potential stains.
Also Check: How To Return My Pillow Mattress Topper
Stearns & Foster Mattress Warranty
The average lifespan of a mattress is between 6 and 8 years. This might not seem like long, but its at this point when you should consider replacing your mattress for many mattresses. However, Stearns & Foster mattresses come with a 10-year limited warranty. This means that if there are problems with your mattress during the first ten years of owning it, they may repair or replace the mattress.
As with most warranties, it doesnt cover all damage, but it does cover structural damage or broken components, squeaks or rattles and sagging that is not associated with the improper use of the mattress. Its important to remember that a warranty doesnt usually cover any damage that could be your own fault.