Comfort Choices: What Mattress Firmness Is Best
The plush comfort level is the softest. It offers the highest level of conformance to help relieve pressure points. This comfort choice is recommended for those who sleep on their side, as this can put additional pressure on shoulders and hips. You will prefer this option if you enjoy a luxurious feel, like you are sleeping on a cloud.
The medium comfort choice offers a lower level of softness than the plush, while being not quite as rigid as the firm. If you need some conformance but the plush is too soft, this is the ideal mattress for you. This is a popular choice as it provides a good balance of comfort and support.
The firm comfort level is the most rigid. It is good for people who sleep on their front or back, as it disperses weight more evenly, helping to reduce pressure. This is also a good choice for those who prefer a firm feel and for those who want to ease lower back pain.
How Your Mattress Can Impact Your Sleep
Generally speaking, if a bed is too firm it may lack the conformance needed to adequately support your spine. On the other hand, if it is too soft, you may also end up in a position that causes pain.
Side sleepers often need a softer surface to relieve pressure from the pressure points. In regard to front and back sleepers, they often enjoy a firmer surface because their body weight is more dispersed. We understand that everyone is unique and your needs may differ, which is why we recommend trying our online Mattress Selector.
Struggling To Get Comfortable
Tossing and turning all night trying to find a comfortable position to fall asleep in will not only keep you up but it may cause you to have back pains as well. If you are unable to find a comfortable position in bed then it may be because, your mattress no longer is comfortable, if you have a mattress that is uncomfortable and unsupportive then it is likely that the mattress is no longer offering you spine support that you need thus leading to back pain.
Recommended Reading: Wyoming King Bed Set
What Special Features Do Sealy Mattresses Have
You may wonder what contributes to a plush, medium or firm mattress? Heres a little insight as to what comfort technology we use to create the different comfort feels. When you have selected your preferred Sealy mattress you can cross-check what features the mattress contains to help support your sleeping style.
This layer is found at the base of the comfort layers and features natural latex and gel-infused visco. The ComfortCore® Luxe conforms to your body and supports the lower back.
Found just below the mattress quilt layer is the ComfortCore® Plus. This feature provides exceptional conformance, with a gel-infused visco centre-third. As with the Luxe, the Plus supports the lower lumbar area.
ComfortCore® Premium is located underneath the quilt layer of the mattress and since its a memory-foam layer, it supports the lower lumbar region of your back. This feature is especially effective at relieving pressure points.
Our ComfortCore® layer provides targeted support for your body. The conformance level is on-point to support your lower lumbar area.
Our mattresses contain fine Sealy Fibre to provide exceptional comfort. This feature also adds to the overall durability function. Whats more, all our fibres are pre-compressed to help ensure our mattresses retain their loft.
what is sealy posturepedic
Tips To Choosing The Right Mattress
- Know about the joint, bones and muscle problems you or your bed-sharer have before you go to the local bedding stores.
- There are different types of mattresses depending on their construction method and the material used. Having a clear conception about the various types will make it easier to choose the right one.
- If your priority is health, besides the firmness, also consider getting an organic mattress or at least an organic latex mattress topper.
- If possible, lie down, push the surface and touch the upholstery well before you finalize the option you want to invest in.
With a huge spectrum of mattress firmness and different construction methods and materials, the choices are plenty. Understanding the benefits, and drawbacks of different types of mattress will help you to shop for the right option at the store.
You May Like: Wyoming King Frame
Benefits Of A Hard Mattress
Need More Help With Back Pain
These free resources will help you get on the right track to ridding yourself of back pain!
- Find a mattress to relieve you of back pain with Mattress Match
- Learn about all the options with our Mattress Buying Guide
- Experience the REM sleep deserve with our Better Sleep Guide
- Go from Zs to As in college with this sleep guide for students
- Want to conquer sleep deprivation? Check out our sleeping disorders guide
Read Also: Wyoming King Mattress Price
Soft Mattress Vs Hard Mattress
Soft Mattress Pros
- Sleeping on soft mattresses can reduce back pain, joint pain, and overall body pain in people with advanced age.
- For people who are lightweight, a soft mattress with a medium-solid cushion can be more appropriate. It will provide all the richness of a soft mattress yet it will be able to support the spinal cord because of its medium-solid cushion.
- A soft mattress is a good choice for people who prefer to sleep on their sides, especially in a fetal position.
- A soft mattress design can be achieved by using a soft top framework on a firm basic mattress. This ensures you should have a medium-firm sleeping mattress whose top is delicate and cushioned.
Soft Mattress Cons
- The ultra-softness of the mattress can stop supporting the spinal cord and put it out of alignment. It can cause pain in the spinal cord and impact the quality of sleep
- Soft mattresses are more expensive than hard mattresses.
- Soft mattresses tend to become all the softer with use. This means a soft mattress is likely to become softer after a couple of years of use.
- Sharing a soft mattress is difficult as different people prefer different levels of softness
Excessively Hard Mattress
A Luxury Model Thats Worth Every Penny
- Sizes: Twin, Twin Long, Full, Queen, King, Split King, California King and Split California King
- Trial period: 90 nights
Filled with special Tempur-Material that was originally developed by NASA, this luxury mattress provides advanced pressure relieving power thats ideal for those with back pain. Responding to your weight, shape and temperature, this adaptive mattress conforms to your body even if you shift positions throughout the night. The proprietary material also absorbs motion better than other memory foam mattresses so if you sleep with a partner, you wont get jostled awake if they toss and turn in the middle of the night.
Also Check: Alaskan King Mattress Cost
A Buoyant Mattress That Contours Your Body And Sleeps Cool
Cyber Monday mattress sale: Get up to $700 off mattresses, plus two free pillows with your purchase.
- Materials: Organic cotton, wool and Talalay latex
- Sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King
- Trial period: 120 nights
The Nolah Natural 11-Inch Mattress is a layered hybrid mattress that utilizes Talalay latexone of the most premium mattress materials you can findto provide targeted pressure relief. Theres one 2-inch latex comfort layer that conforms to your joints and pressure points, and another inch of higher density latex that supports your body weight so you dont sink into the mattress, which is a common reason for back pain.
The latex is reinforced by a zoned coil base that allows some give where you need it, but extra support where you dont. These layers are sandwiched between organic wool and cotton that offer breathability and natural temperature regulation, a bonus for hot sleepers .
Advantages Of A Firm Mattress
For those not experiencing troublesome back pain, a firm mattress is will generally be more comfortable. When sleeping on a firmer surface, the bones absorb most of the pressure, meaning there is less stress on muscles, veins and arteries. Muscles are less strained, and circulation is improved.
A firm mattress also keeps your lower back from collapsing, which could allow for more oxygen intake while sleeping. Less sagging can mean the weight of the body is distributed evenly, which means no one part of the body is bearing the brunt of the pressure.
Firm mattresses are generally better for those who sleep on their back, because they provide a more stable and even surface. Stomach sleepers tend to fare better on a firmer mattress, too.
Recommended Reading: Does Macy’s Carry Saatva Mattresses
The Benefits Of Memory Foam
All-foam mattresses come with many features designed to help you sleep better and wake up feeling refreshed. One of the most instant benefits is comfort, as memory foam is known for its body hugging feel.
These mattresses are also suitable for most sleeping positions and if you need extra pressure relief at the shoulders, knees, and hips, for example, when sleeping on your side, you can sink in just the right amount without compromising on support.
Another benefit is that they have minimal motion transfer, making them a great choice if you share a bed. If you or your partner change position while sleeping, then this particular mattress material isolates this movement so that the other person isnt disturbed by the movement as they sleep.
When it comes to health, most memory foams used nowadays are hypoallergenic and low-toxin, making them safe if you suffer from common allergies too. And if you are worried about sleeping hot, then many all-foam beds now come with added features such as cooling gels and fibers to help you maintain a comfortable temperature during sleep.
The pros of memory foam mattresses:
- Great support, pressure relief, and motion isolation
- Many are hypoallergenic and toxin free
- Some come with added cooling features
Can A Mattress Cause Back Pain
A mattress can definitely be a cause of back pain because it plays such an important role in how the body is positioned through the night. Most people know that posture is important but only think about their posture in the context of standing and sitting. This can cause them to overlook the importance of having a mattress that is the proper fit for them based on their body shape, weight, and sleeping position.
If the spine and joints arent aligned and well-cushioned during sleep, they wont be able to relax. Instead of recovering, the body will be strained, exacerbating pre-existing back issues and sowing the seeds for new ones. The easiest way to know whether a mattress is a contributing factor to back pain is if the pain tends to be the most pronounced in the morning when you wake up. If the pain is the worst when you get out of bed and subsides during the day, theres a good chance that your mattress is playing a part in your aches and pains.
Don’t Miss: Where Can I Buy A Wyoming King Mattress
Is It Possible For A Mattress To Cause You Back
Yes, if your mattress is old or if it isnt a good fit for you hen you may find yourself waking up stiff the next morning finding it hard to move, because you have a sore back, if that is the case then it is normal to think that your mattress may be at fault. Your mattress can cause you to have back pains, or it can worsen your already existing back pain, one of the prime reasons for this is the lack of support that a mattress offers. The lack of support that a mattress has to offer reinforces you to have poor sleeping posture, it can strain your muscles and it will not keep your spine in alignment, these things promote back pains.
A mattress that provides comfort and back support helps reduce low back pain, this allows the natural structure of your spine to be in alignment and it allows your spine to properly rest and rejuvenate itself while you sleep.
Here are some things that may tell you whether it is your mattress causing you to have back pain.
Back pain is, unfortunately, one of those things that up to 80% of the population experience at least once in their lifetime, it is something that is very common.
Hard Mattress Vs Soft Mattress
Some say a hard mattress is better than a soft mattress, some say a soft mattress is better, and some say whichever type of mattress you are comfortable with is the right one for you.
Nevertheless, it is now believed that a its not only the firmness of the mattress but its ability to support the right parts of your body correctly. Proper alignment is critical to prevention of tossing and turning which leads to sleep disruption. We put together a special web class that goes deeper into this
You May Like: Wyoming King Bed Mattress For Sale
How We Chose The Best Mattresses For Back And Neck Pain
We explored top-rated mattresses on the market, paying careful attention to features important for pain relief. To create our list, we considered:
- Customer reviews. Many brands say their mattresses can relieve pressure and pain, but reviews from other shoppers often present a more accurate picture. We read what customers had to say to see how these picks actually helped improve their pain and sleep quality.
- Company reputation and transparency. We focused on brands known for good business practices, quality mattress construction, and a reputation for providing good customer service.
- Company policies. Most brands understand the leap of faith required to buy a mattress online, and many offer a trial period so you can return the mattress if it doesnt work out. Reputable mattress brands generally offer a lengthy warranty to cover product defects and excessive sagging.
- Expert insights. We consulted peer-reviewed studies for more information on the connection between sleep and pain and the qualities that make a mattress good for pain relief. We also reached out to Krystle Howald, PT, DPT, owner of Expecting and Empowered and Empower Movement Physical Therapy, for her tips on getting pain-free sleep.
Which Mattress Is Best For Lower Back Pain
You may have personal preferences when it comes to choosing the most comfortable mattress, but it should not be too soft or too firm to prevent lower back pain. The ideal option is soft and firm enough to support your lower back during sleep.
The memory foam mattress is a great choice because it offers a different firmness level to match your unique requirements. Also, it is soft enough to keep your spine properly aligned while sleeping. But this is not the only option you have, there are innerspring, hybrid, and latex mattresses to choose from.
The issue with innerspring mattresses is that it can develop back pain over time because the core springs wear out and create lumps. If you sleep in a lumpy mattress, then chances are youre hurting your lower back. Its important to understand the potential drawbacks of these mattresses to help you find the best option.
Hybrid mattresses offer great comfort as well as a strong support to ensure that your back is soothed and relaxed throughout the night. The key is to choose the mattress that provides pressure relief and motion isolation for you to achieve a good nights sleep. Latex mattresses are also a good option if you want to enjoy an extra layer of support.
Don’t Miss: How Long Do Casper Mattresses Take To Inflate
When To Avoid A Supine Sleeping Position
As great as sleeping on your back can be, there are some instances where your doctor may tell you to knock it off. If any of the following situations ring a bell for you, talk to your physician about whether or not you should try sleeping flat on your back.
- Beyond 20 weeks of pregnancy. Once youre about 20 weeks pregnant, the weight of your uterus could compress the vena cava, which is an important blood vessel. Once youre about 5 months along, youll want to transition to side sleeping. Laying on your left side is particularly helpful because the vena cava is on your right side, so it remains completely unrestricted.
- Serious sleep apnea. Sleep apnea happens most commonly when your airway is obstructed and you intermittently stop breathing during the night. This can happen because your throat muscles relax or because excess weight presses down on your throat while you sleep. In any case, laying flat on your back can make the issue worse. In addition to using a machine to help you sleep, your doctor may suggest an alternate sleeping position.
- Chronic snoring. A lot of snoring can be a symptom of sleep apnea, but it can also happen on its own. If youre sleeping with a partner, they may ask you to stop sleeping on your back because it makes you more likely to snore loudly and annoy anyone in the room.
Firm Vs Soft Mattress: Which Is Best For You
Lets face it, mattress shopping can be an overwhelming affair. There are hundreds of mattresses to choose from online, and they come in all different types and sizes. Plus, buying a mattress is a big investment, so its a decision you want to make carefully.
There is one question that every mattress shopper should ask themselves: Do I want a firm or soft mattress?This is a great place to start because the mattress firmness will really affect how comfortable or supported you feel on a mattress. Yes, a big part if it comes down to personal preference, but there are some more objective benefits and drawbacks to both firm and soft mattresses.
We have put together this firm vs soft mattress guide to help all those confused mattress shoppers decide which is best for you. Watch our video below or read on to compare them!
Recommended Reading: Can I Put A Casper Mattress On A Regular Box Spring