Latex Mattress Cost Factors
Natural versus synthetic latex: How much a latex mattress will cost can depend on whether the manufacturer uses synthetic or natural latex materials. While natural latex is made from rubber trees, synthetic latex is manmade. Natural latex is more expensive to make, so you can expect to pay more for a mattress made with it.
Manufacturing process: The synthetic latex used in mattresses is made with either the Dunlop process or Talalay process. Dunlop latex is heavier and denser than Talalay latex, which makes it more suitable for support layers. The Talalay process is less dense, adds cushion, and typically costs more than Dunlop latex. Some latex mattresses use both Dunlop and Talalay latex.
Number of layers used: Latex beds can have a varying number of layers used in their construction, which will impact the overall price and comfort of the finished product. The thicker a mattress is, the more it tends to cost.
Nectar Best King Size Mattress Under 1000
Construction & Structure:
The top layer of the 11 Nectar is the 1 cover made up of layers of gel memory foam and Tencel. The second layer is a semi-open premium gel memory foam with 1 thickness. The 3-inch third layer is adaptive memory foam. It provides effective pressure relief.
The fourth layer is a 6 breathable foam base layer which provides the foundation to the mattress. The fifth and the last layer is a bottom cover which helps in keeping the mattress in the correct place.
The mattress is medium-firm. It suits all kinds of body types and sleeping positions with good lumbar support. The gel memory foam is effective for hot sleepers and does get rid of body heat generated to a large extent. If you are used to sleeping on a spring mattress, you are going to miss the bounce.
The body does not provide a typical sink-in feel common in memory foam mattresses. Nectar provides good support and contouring.
It is rated high on sleep quality as well as on spine support.
Motion Transfer & Edge Support:
Nectar provides acceptable edge support but excels in motion isolation. Motion isolation is one of the highlights of the mattress. There have been complaints on edge support particularly after long usage of the mattress.
Additional Hidden Factors That Influence Mattress Price
Average mattress price is influenced by many other factors which may not seem obvious from the first sight:
- Online vs in-person. While in a specialized store you can test mattresses by yourself, mattresses there are usually more expensive. If you try to haggle, you may get even as much as 50% off as retailers have high markups. If you arent good at bargaining, you will find buying online is cheaper.
- Warranty & return terms. Details of warranty and return policies envisioned by manufacturers can increase the initial price of mattresses. The longer the warranty is, the more the mattress may cost.
- Shipping & setup. Shipping may cost an additional 60 USD 100 USD, and the setup of a mattress in your bedroom may be included or added on top.
- Foundations & accessories. Foundation, bedding any other accessories will cost you extra money. Note that for larger mattresses like Queen, King, and California King it is more challenging to find accessories, therefore, they will be more expensive.
- Removal costs. You may want to have your mattress removed at a point. Mattress removal price varied between 75 USD and 200 USD with an average of 165 USD.
- Negotiation. Can you negotiate the price of a mattress? Yes, you can unless it is sold online. Offline retailers often have higher overhead costs, so sometimes you may negotiate even 50% off.
Recommended Reading: My Pillow Matress Topper
How Much Does Each Mattress Type Cost
he materials used in a mattress will have the greatest impact on price, compared to other factors. Well cover what you can expect to pay for each type below:
- Innerspring: These tend to cost between $700 and $1,200, with an average price of about $950 for a Queen.
- Latex: Latex beds will cost between $1,500 and $2,500 on average, with the most common price being around $2,000 for a Queen.
- Memory foam: Memory foam beds often cost between $600 and $1,200, with an average price of $900 for a Queen.
- Hybrid: Hybrid beds usually run between $1,200 and $2,000, with an average price of about $1,650 for a Queen.
- Airbed: Air mattresses cost between $1,500 and $2,500 on average for a permanent model you can use in your bedroom. A Queen will likely cost around $2,250.
Zip And Link King Size Mattresses
With a Zip and Link mattress you can have varied technologies and comfort levels within one design. This makes them a popular choice for couples. For example, if your partner is fond of a firm mattress but you prefer something softer, a zip and link mattress could be an ideal solution as you both get to sleep on what you want.
Recommended Reading: How To Return My Pillow Mattress Topper
Are Pocketed Coils Better
Pocketed coils, also known as Marshall coils, are each individually wrapped in a fabric pocket. While the pockets might be connected together, the springs are each independent of one another and can move separately. Pocketed coils provide more motion separation than other innerspring coil types, meaning that when your partner starts tossing and turning, you are less likely to be disrupted. This can really come in handy if your bed-mate is a restless sleeper. On the flip side, pocketed coils endure greater strain over time, since each coil absorbs weight without distributing it to other nearby coils.
Many innerspring mattresses now use pocketed coils, and the majority of hybrid beds use them too.
Below: Coils in their fabric pockets
Try Your Mattress Before You Buy If You Can
Buying a mattress online might be cheaper and more convenient but, unless youre buying a bed-in-a-box mattress, its always best to try before you buy if you possibly can – and if shops are open.
When we asked Which? members about their experience of buying a mattress, more than a third told us they feel intimidated trying out a mattress in the shop.
A good mattress shop shouldn’t mind you doing this. See our guide on the Best mattress shops.
When trying out a mattress in store:
- wear comfortable clothing and remove your outdoor gear
- lie on a mattress for at least 10 minutes, in positions you normally sleep in
- go with your partner if you share a bed
- dont shop for beds when youre tired, as all the mattresses will feel great
- don’t let sales assistants influence you they cant decide whether the mattress is comfortable for you.
If youre buying a memory foam mattress, relax in one position, then move into another. Was it easy or did you struggle to move? If you struggled, you might find that the memory mattress restricts your movement too much, especially in cold weather when the foam will be harder.
Don’t Miss: What To Do With Purple Mattress Bag
How Much Does Mattress Delivery Cost
Mattress delivery is often free, but some companies charge around £30. For example, United Carpets and Beds have a general delivery charge of £30 on mattresses, no matter what your overall spend might be. They will also charge for the removal of your old bed and packaging of your new bed or mattress.
However, Silent Night offers free next day deliverya deal offered by many premium mattress manufacturers. If you buy your mattress through Amazon, so long as the purchase is over £20 then this will also be free, plus you will have more choice over the delivery location and date.
What Is Included In The Price Of A Mattress
Shopping online for your mattress could save you thousands of dollars. Its more convenient and time-saving too.
When mattress shopping online you ought to get
- Free delivery and free return
- Free pillows
- At least a 10-year warranty
- Option to finance at zero or low-interest rate
Shopping online will get you the most favorable prices
Also Check: What To Do With Purple Mattress Bag
What Influences The Cost Of A Mattress
In determining the cost of a mattress these three criteria carry the most weight:
- Type: What your mattress is made of influences cost in a big way. All-natural materials tend to command higher prices than synthetic materials.
- Size: Naturally, bigger mattresses cost more. The price of a twin mattress is roughly half the cost of a king.
- Buying online: Purchasing a mattress online is less expensive than buying from physical stores, which usually have significant markups on mattresses.
Additional factors that contribute to mattress costs:
- Shipping costs: Although many popular bed-in-a-box brands offer free shipping.
- White-glove setup: This extra service can also include the removal of your old mattress.
- Returns: Some warranties may place the burden of return shipping costs onto the customer.
- Foundations and box springs, or other necessary accessories: Some of these add-ons may be a requirement for you to enjoy for your new mattress.
Signature Sleep Flex 8 With Charcoal Gel Memory Foam
Construction & Structure:
The flex is a four-layered all-foam mattress. As the name suggests, the upper layer is gel-based memory foam with charcoal-infused into it.
The charcoal has the property to absorb moisture and odor that helps you sleep fresh.
The foam has grooves that help in good airflow providing relief to hot sleepers in summers. It has a structure that helps in regulating the body temperature while you are sleeping.
It is medium-firm thanks to the support provided by the base that holds and provides comfort. The top layers provide a snuggle soft feel but it doesn’t make you feel deep sin.
You will feel it a little firm if you are switching from a soft or a mattress with a little plush feel.
Motion Transfer & Edge Support:
The Signature Sleep Flex has a waterfall edge design that absorbs most of the movement in the bed. You can come in and out of bed without disturbing the sleep of your partner.
It scores well on motion isolation and edge support.
Recommended Reading: Purple Mattress Financing
Cost Factors For Foam Mattresses
Foam mattresses are typically priced using the following criteria:
- Foam density plays a role in mattress durability, and is a key factor for foam mattress pricing. Low-density foams are softer and tend to deteriorate quickly, and are most often used in relatively cheap mattress models. High-density foams are firmer and tend to last longer they are usually used in models with more expensive price-points.
- Another key consideration is the type of foam used. Polyfoam will degrade faster than most memory foams. As a result, the cost of an all-polyfoam mattress is usually much lower than the cost of a memory foam mattress. Likewise, mattresses with specialty memory foam are more expensive than those with standard memory foam.
- Most sleepers feel more comfortable on memory foam than polyfoam. However, price-point does not appear to be a significant factor in customer experiences with memory foam compared to performance factors like firmness and conforming/pressure-relieving abilities. For this reason, shoppers may be able to find a memory foam mattress that suits their preferences at a relatively low price.
The Average Mattress Size
When looking for a new mattress, consider weight. If you move frequently, a lighter bed might be a better option, making transportation easier. But if youre planning on settling down in an area long-term, you may want to invest in a bigger mattress for optimal comfort.
About the author
Mitchell Tollsen is a graduate student and a freelance writer whos contributed to the Early Bird blog for three years. Mitchells always been fascinated by the science of sleep and the restorative processes our bodies undergo when at rest. The self-titled Sleep Expert is always looking for ways to improve his shut-eye, and throughout the years has implemented numerous lifestyle changes and tried dozens of sleep-promoting gadgets to determine the best ways to truly get better rest.
Recommended Reading: What To Do With Purple Mattress Bag
Our Mattress Picks By Budget
One of our favorite mid-priced mattresses is the DreamCloud Premier Hybrid Mattress. It’s made with CertiPUR-US certified foams and has a firmness that will appeal to most sleepers. Best of all, DreamCloud offers a generous 365-day trial, plus a lifetime warranty.
If price is no object, check out the luxury Tempur-Pedic PRObreeze Hybrid Mattress. It’s designed to keep you cool all night and provides pressure relief without that dreadful sinking feeling. A 10-year Tempur-Pedic warranty applies, but there’s no trial period.
As for a budget mattress, the affordable Zinus Cooling Gel Memory Foam Mattress starts at $198. It has excellent motion transfer and cooling properties for its price however, the tradeoff here is poor edge support. Zinus throws in a 100-night trial plus a 10-year warranty.
Why Should You Spend Money On Good
A mattress is something that helps you keep your posture straight and it is important to spend some money or else you might end up sleeping in a bad posture. The mattress helps in providing support to your back and keeps your blood circulation proper when you are sleeping making it quite important. Investing money in a mattress will help you get a good nights sleep and also avoid any kind of back or shoulder pain in the future. Cheap mattresses dont last long and are often a waste of money for a lot of people.
Recommended Reading: What Kind Of Mattress Does Drury Inn Use
Innerspring Mattress Cost Factors
Durability: Expected lifespan and durability will play a key role in the price point of an innerspring bed. The cheapest options on the market will usually only last for three to five years, whereas more expensive models, with more durable coils, may last a few years longer.
Coil count: Fancier innerspring mattress models tend to have a higher coil count, although this doesnt always determine how long a mattress will last. Higher coil counts can provide better support and contouring, so try to select a mattress with a coil count of at least 300 for a Full bed, 400 for a Queen, and 480 for a King.
Coil Gauge: Coil gauge refers to how thick each coil is in the mattress. High-gauge coils are thinner with a springier and softer feel, and low-gauge coils are thicker with firmer pushback and thus more durable.
Pocketed coils: Some innerspring manufacturers make their mattresses with pocketed coils. Wrapping each coil in fabric can reduce motion transfer and noise significantly, so this quality does usually drive up the price of innerspring beds.
Types Of King Size Mattresses
A bigger mattress can solve issues of disturbances like snoring, turning, tossing, and cover-stealing from a partner. If youve decided that a King bed is what you need, youll need to decide on the exact type of mattress youre after. Here are the details and dimensions of the most common King size mattresses.
One size larger than a Queen, a traditionally sized King provides sleepers with an additional 16 of width. A standard King measures 76 x 80.
An Eastern King is simply a synonym for a standard King, and it also measures 76 x 80.
The only difference between a California King and a standard/Eastern King is in the width and length. California Kings measure 72 x 84, so theyre best for especially tall individuals and those who enjoy extra space.
A Split King, otherwise known as a Dual King mattress, comes in two pieces rather than one. Each piece is roughly the same size as a Twin mattress. Creating a King bed out of two separate mattresses allows each partner to customize their firmness level or position , while still sharing closeness with their partner.
Don’t Miss: What Mattress Does Drury Inn Use
How Much Does An Innerspring Mattress Cost
Innerspring mattresses are an affordable option from as little as $125. Layers of coils are covered in foam or fabric and widely available. However, with such a low price comes many drawbacks. Innerspring mattresses give high motion transfer if sharing the bed, lack of pressure relief, and can be uncomfortable if there is not enough foam or fabric topping the mattress.
Know Your Rights When Buying A Mattress
If you change your mind, youre entitled to a 14-day cooling-off period from the date you receive goods. This means you can cancel your order at any time from the moment you place your order up to 14 days from the date it arrives, and the seller is obliged to refund you. Find out your rights to returns and refunds.
Now you know what to look for, check ourbest mattressrecommendations for a Best Buy that will support your spine and last for years.
Also Check: How To Return My Pillow Mattress Topper
Hybrid Mattress Cost Factors
Quality of foam or latex used: The type of foam or latex used in a hybrid mattress will end up impacting how much the bed costs. If the mattress uses foam with cooling technology, it may end up costing more. A hybrid that uses natural latex, instead of synthetic, might also end up costing more.
Number of layers: Hybrid beds can vary widely when it comes to the number of layers used in the mattress. Since beds with more layers require more materials and a more complex manufacturing process, they will cost more than thinner beds with fewer layers.
Quality of coils: Micro-coils are basically similar to ordinary mattress coils but much smaller. Theyre made with high-gauge, flexible wire and increase the overall flexibility of a mattress, adding to the conforming ability of the bed. Since these are a relatively new feature, beds with micro-coils may end up costing more than beds without them.