Benefits Of Buying A Mattress Online
When it comes to buying a mattress, regardless of whether youre buying a firm memory foam mattress or a twin size mattress set thats completely organic, you have two options: you can buy online or via a physical store. Nowadays, it has become more common to shop online, and buying a mattress is no exception. Just because youre purchasing a mattress off the internet does not mean that you cant find top-rated mattresses there. In fact, there are certain benefits to buying your next mattress online, such as:
- Online stores normally have lower prices since they dont have a lot of the operational costs that stores do.
- Online stores display a lot more options because they dont have any size or space limitations.
- Comparing different brands is as easy as a few clicks, allowing you to find the mattress with the best price and features in no time.
- Theres minimal effort involved, all you have to do to buy a mattress is use the internet.
- Online stores give you product reviews by actual customers to help you make an informed decision.
While there are many benefits to purchasing a mattress online, there are few downsides to doing so. Some might be turned off by not being able to try a mattress before buying it, but the truth is that nearly all mattresses sold online offer significant free trial periods. This means you can experience what its like to actually sleep on a mattress, something you cant do in a store.
How To Find The Best Mattress Deals
To summarize, here are a few tips for finding the best mattress for you at an affordable price.
- Do Your Research: Comparison shopping is essential for finding a high-quality mattress that wont break the bank. Check out as many online brand websites as you can find, and also consider paying a visit to your local mattress store.
- Watch for Sales: Holiday sales are consistently good times to save money on a mattress, but keep an eye out for additional deals throughout the calendar year. Bookmark the mattress brands that seem like your best choices and periodically check their websites for promotions and coupon codes.
- Consider Buying with a Buddy: Some online mattress brands offer discounts to customers who buy their mattress based on a referral from a previous buyer. Team up with a friend or relative and you might be able to save a little extra on your purchase.
- Read the Fine Print: Free shipping, full refunds on returns, and non-prorated warranties are quite common, though for some brands, youll find hidden charges nested in their policy descriptions. Always take a moment to read these materials from start to finish.
- Bundle with Other Products: If youre buying a new mattress, theres a good chance youll need new bedding or a foundation to go with it. Choosing a brand that offers sleep product bundles can result in big savings.
- Was this article helpful?
Look Closely At The Retailers Website
Many mattress-in-a-box beds are sold exclusively online at the makers website, and they tend to offer generous return policiesbut you might not find the same mattress anywhere else. Once you arrive on the companys main page, take a look around for current promotions. The site might highlight a deal on its home page. For example, Cocoon by Sealy, which we tested, has run website promotions for $75 off any mattress, or $125 off a mattress and foundation set. Often, retailers apply restrictions to such promotions, so be sure to check the fine print.
Don’t Miss: Mattress Firm Cancellation Policy
Think Twice About The Box Spring
Box springs can be important. For example, they:
- Provide a sturdy level surface for softer innerspring mattresses, particularly as they age
- Reduce wear and tear on older mattresses
- Provide support, potentially improving sleep quality and reducing back pain and morning discomfort
- Raise the height of the bed, allowing for more comfortable entry and exit
You need a traditional metal bed frame to hold a box spring. Otherwise, theyre too low for easy entry and may not provide adequate support.
If youre purchasing a traditional innerspring mattress, you can buy a box spring at the same time. It may even be part of a discounted package deal, such as 20% off the combined cost of the mattress and box spring. If youre buying in person, the sales associate will recommend getting both. You can find decent box springs for $50 new, and nicer models cost $100 or more.
But dont take the bait without ensuring you need one. Platform beds dont require box springs. Theyre built higher and have adequate built-in support, usually wire mesh, slats, or a solid wooden platform. All-foam mattresses are resilient enough without box springs for support. But you may still want one if your bed is too low. For hybrid mattresses, which have a foam layer and innerspring system, dont require a box spring, but it could enhance comfort and add height.
Visit A Physical Store For Research Purposes Only
The only goal of step one is to learn more about what you are looking for in a mattress. Because some people find that physically feeling a mattress helps them in this process, a trip to a brick-and-mortar showroom gives them the chance to better understand their options. To get a good sense of a mattress, though, its necessary to spend 10-15 minutes lying on it, so make sure to take your time.
An important part of this step is planning to not buy a mattress during this visit. Knowing that youre going to take your time and do more research allows you to more easily resist sales pressure while taking notes about the mattresses that interest you and their prices.
Read Also: Purple Mattress Recycle
The Truth: Salespeople Are There To Help Themselves Make Mattress Sales
Sorry to say, but some salespeople do not have your best interest in mind when helping you shop for a mattress. Their job is to make a sale. Even if they arent working on commission, there are quotas to meet, overstocked mattresses to push, and non-commission bonuses to earn.
Some salespeople are helpful and genuinely interested in helping you find the best option as long as it is in their store.
Do you find high-pressure sales tactics uncomfortable when trying to make a rational decision? Salespeople tend to be smooth talkers. You may not realize youve been duped until it is too late. Or, perhaps you just want to get out of there and rush the decision.
If you feel sales pressure, your best bet is always walking out of the store. When you are ready to make a decision on your terms, there will still be a mattress for sale there. Or use their high-pressure sales tactics to get yourself a bargain. Set your own price and walk away if it exceeds your budget. Online sellers tend to have less markup, but may offer additional perks, too.
Things To Look For When Buying A Mattress
Compare different vendors depending on the following aspects:
- Financing: What financing options does the company provide? Do you have to pay the complete fee upfront, or can you pay in installments?
- Price range: How does the price range of one company compare with the others?
- Money-back guarantee: Does the company offer a money-back guarantee? If yes, then how long is your investment secure for?
- Free trial: Another important thing to consider when buying a mattress online is if the seller offers a free trial period so you can gauge the effectiveness of the mattress and if it suits your needs. Companies like Dreamcloud offer a free trial with a 100% money-back guarantee if youre not satisfied with your mattress.
- Temperature control: Does the mattress provide the user with an option to control the temperature? Or does it at least make an effort to regulate the temperature of the mattress?
You May Like: Dreamcloud Premier Rest
Mattress Shopping Tip #: Hunt For Coupons
We touched on this a little abovefor most online brands, you should search for a coupon code before you purchase. The typical coupon code will knock off $50-$100 from the price tag. And during holidays, you can expect discounts in the $75-$150 range, depending on the brand and holiday. Youll find that most brands are pretty upfront with their discounts and some even apply them automatically because they dont want to miss out on a sale.
How Much Will A New Mattress Cost
The cost of a new mattress depends on several factors, but expect to spend at least $800 for a queen size model. The best mattress for you may cost more or less than this. A crucial first step is to research price-points from different online and brick-and-mortar mattress sellers, and then make a budget based on these findings.
Variables that can affect the price-point of a bed include the following:
Size: The twin, twin XL, and full sizes are primarily intended for one person. As a result, they can be hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars cheaper than the queen, king, and California king sizes intended for multiple sleepers. Specialty sizes like split queens or kings for couples with adjustable bases tend to be the most expensive.
Type: Material construction plays a major role in mattress pricing. All-foam and innerspring models are often the cheapest with an average price-point of $800 to $1,200 in a queen size. All-latex and hybrid models are more expensive, so you can expect to pay about $1,600 to $2,200 for these queen size models. Airbeds are the priciest, with most of these mattresses starting at $2,000.
Thickness: Since thicker mattresses contain more cushioning and support layers than lower-profile beds, youll probably spend a bit more on these models. Any bed measuring 12 inches or thicker is considered a high-profile model.
There are some other cost variables to take into account when buying a mattress either online or in-person. These include the following:
Don’t Miss: Drury Inn Mattresses
How And When To Replace Your Mattress
- A longer warranty may not promise a certain lifespan. if you read the fine print. If the mattress is stained because you didn’t use a mattress protector, or if you don’t use a matching foundation beneath the mattress, it could invalidate the warranty.
- Mattresses last five to 10 years as a general rule. However, you should decide when it’s time to replace your mattress based off of other warning signs. Are you waking up sore? Is your mattress feeling lumpy? Do you sleep better on other mattresses, like at a hotel? These are all signs that its time to go shopping. Don’t forget to extend the life of your new pad by using a mattress protector, which can keep out keep out dust, allergens, spills, and other hazards.
Which Purple Mattress Should You Buy
Purple offers three different mattress in a box models: the Purple Mattress , the Purple Hybrid , and the Purple Hybrid Premier . These aren’t memory foam mattresses: all three instead feature Purple’s patented Purple Grid mattress tech – an innovative foam material that behaves more like a gel.
The Purple grid is designed to flex under your pressure points and adapt to support your body where it needs it the most. This grid layer is comprised of more than 2,800 open-air channels, so body heat dissipates and you don’t feel too hot or too cold while you sleep.
The Purple Mattress is their cheapest mattress, yet it still comes with Purple’s patented Purple Grid mattress tech. Under this 2-inch grid are two layers of high-density comfort foam.
The Purple Hybrid contains the Purple Grid layer in addition to 7.5 inches of Responsive Coils to provide relief and additional support.
Finally, the Purple Hybrid Premier comes with either three or four inches of Purple Grid layer, Responsive Coils, and transition foam between the grid and coils. There’s also transition foams between the coils and the base for more structure and support, which is offers the best overall sleep experience.
As a side note, Purple also holds a spot on our best dog bed guide. The Purple Pet Bed is a high-tech mattress for your furry friends. It’s hypoallergenic, non-toxic, and vegan. It’s backed by a 100-day free trial. .
Recommended Reading: Whyoming King Bed
Things To Consider When Shopping For A Mattress
The world of mattresses isnt always an easy one to navigate. Many legacy brands offer little to no transparency in their manufacturing or pricing. Online brands tend to be more forthcoming with this information. But, with over 300 online brands popping up in the last five years, it can be difficult to narrow down your choices.
When you start your quest to find the perfect bed, the ultimate goal is quality sleep. While this may be obvious, many shoppers fall into the trap of clever marketing, only to regret their decision later.
When mattress shopping, dont start by looking at the price. Instead, start by considering how the bed will suit your specific needs. An easy way to do this is by asking yourself a few basic questions.
Have issues like back pain?
Find the best mattress for back pain.
What Mattress Should You Get
Whether shopping in stores or online, here are some questions you’re sure to be asked.
Knowing these answers can cut down on the time you spend shopping. Check out this table to help you decide on the right mattress size for you:
|72 in x 84 in||6 ft x 7 ft||Tall couples, tall people with children or pets|
Mattress makes and models are exclusive to each retailer so you won’t see the same names when browsing the sales floor at different stores.
- Set a budget. It’s so easy to get sidetracked by the first comfiest, plushest mattress you find. Fix a price limit BEFORE you start shopping.
Then do your homework to get an idea of which mattresses you can actually afford. Don’t be swayed by sales that pull you out of your budget.
If you have a partner, take care to hash out preferences ahead of time to avoid a wrestling match in the store.
Frustration can lead to impulse purchases, which tend to be pricier than the thought-out ones.
Lie in your typical sleeping position to ensure that the mattress comfortably supports your body.
If you’re shopping online, educate yourself on mattress types and read customer reviews. Don’t be afraid to call the customer service line with any questions you can’t answer on your own.
Read Also: How Much Does My Pillow Mattress Topper Cost
Where Are The Best Mattress Sales
With items like electronics, the most popular destinations for sale-shoppers are big-box stores like Walmart and Best Buy, as well as online retailers like Amazon and Newegg. However, the best mattress sales and deals typically come directly from the bedding brands themselves. Dont over-focus on just one or two retailers if you need a new mattress and want a bargain. All the big mattress sellers leverage the excitement of sales that occur around significant events, such as Prime Day or Black Friday, to boost their business volumes by attracting people who need a sleep upgrade.
Investigate Freebies: Free Shipping Free Setup Free Haul
Aside from any discount on the mattress itself, you can ask whether the company might throw in other perks, such as white-glove service or a service that picks up the mattress if youre dissatisfied with it.
And ask about any other freebies. The most popular add-ons are free or discounted pillows, throws, sheets, and mattress protectors, Ennis says. In our survey, 91 percent of CR members who bought from Nectar received free pillows with their mattress purchase.
Also Check: Can You Use A Box Spring With A Purple Mattress
The Best Time And Place To Buy A Mattress
If youre looking for the best mattress for your budget, taking the time to plan when and where to make your purchase could help you save big.
I recently reviewed the latest Consumer Reports recommendations on where to buy a mattress and started comparison shopping. While Consumer Reports members can view the full study online, you can also see the highlights below. At those retailers, and at other popular mattress stores, I looked at the lowest available price of queen size mattresses to determine where youll find the best deal.
Beautyrest Br800 14 Medium Pillow Top Hybrid Mattress
Normally $999, Now $489 for Queen
The 14-inch Beautyrest BR800 is a medium-density pillow-top mattress that combines cooling gel memory foam and pocketed coil technology. And with a ventilated foam encasement around the edges, you’re sure to enjoy a good night’s rest.
The lowest price we’ve seen is $399.
You May Like: Dreamcloud Mattress Instructions
When And Where To Buy The Best Cheap Mattress
Money expert Clark Howard loves warehouse clubs for in-store mattress shopping, but online mattress companies have created fierce competition with solid return policies.
The advantage of all the bed-in-a-box things is the ultra-long warranties, says Clark Howard. What I love about all of them is this range to try it for three months, six months or a year.
As far as when youll be seeing the most deals, are promising months. Look for deals around major holidays including Presidents Day, Memorial Day, and Black Friday.
In this article, were going to take a closer look at the best stores to check out while shopping for a cheap mattress. Well cover where to buy a mattress online and when youre most likely to swing a great deal throughout the year.