General Mattress Moving Tips
- Don’t skimp on wrapping your mattress before trying to move it. Inspect it periodically as you move and quickly patch any rips or tears that develop along the way with packing tape, especially before you get the mattress outside.
- Keep an eye on the weather. Don’t allow the mattress to be caught in the rain drying a drenched mattress could take up to a week, and that is a long time to have to bunk on a couch or floor while you wait.
- A mattress moving box is expensive, but it could be a good investment, and it can save you some time in wrapping and packing.
- When renting a moving truck, inspect the inside before you drive it off the lot. Check the interior and look into the corners to be sure that it is clean and you don’t see any evidence of pests.
- If you have a specialty mattress, consult the manufacturer’s website for tips on how to move your particular model.
Once you nail down the right moving supplies and a little help, you’ll find that moving a mattress is a matter of preparation, proper wrapping and careful moving and storage practices. When all of that comes together, the result is a good night’s sleep in your new home. Get all the tools you need to move your mattresses and everything else without the upfront investment. The Home Depot offers moving and lifting equipment rentals.
Shop this Project
Use Caution When Moving The Mattress Upright
If your home has tight doorways, steep stairs or narrow hallways, you should exercise extreme caution when moving a mattress. We recommend opening all necessary doors ahead of time, clearing hallways of clutter and measuring the distance between the ceiling and floor in stairways to ensure that you wont get stuck. Make sure you also carry the mattress in an upright position from the bedroom to the moving truck.
Dont Let Your Shrink Wrap Fall Or Roll On The Ground
Suppose you drop it on the floor and damage one edge of the roll. The fall can cause the plastic to shred as you unroll it over your furniture, and that will most likely result in you throwing that now-useless thing out the window in a rage of frustration because the stuff is also expensive!
Likewise, dont roll it across the floor, or your driveway, or the floor of your truck or container. Even one small rock can nick the surface, causing the plastic to pull apart in pieces the next time you try to use it. Feel free to test me on this if you dont believe me, but I will not be held responsible for your ruined roll of shrink wrap or the window you throw it through.
Also Check: My Pillow Topper Price
How To Store A Mattress In A Storage Unit
Follow the mattress packing steps above /Steps 1 through 4/ to get your mattress ready to be placed in a storage unit.
- Step 5. Its important to check in advance whether the self-storage unit you have rented is completely dry, has sufficient air circulation and has zero signs of infestations of any kind. Your best bet is to opt for a climate-controlled storage unit to provide the best protection for your mattress and the rest of your prized possessions.
- Step 6. How you position your mattress in the storage space is fundamental for its well-being. You should never place your already protected mattress on its ends or sides as they are not sturdy enough to withstand the considerable weight and structural damage would soon become visible. Instead, always store your mattress flat. Its best not to other items on your valuable mattress, but if you absolutely must do it, be sure those items are relatively lightweight and distributed evenly.
- Step 7. No matter how well you have protected your mattress before placing it in storage and no matter how good the self-storage service is, mattresses are not meant to be kept in storage for years to come. Long-term storage tends to cause structural damage to the fabric and the stuffing of mattresses, so reconsider your mattress storage situation on a regular basis and do your best to put your prized mattress to good use before its too late.
Keep Your Transporting Vehicle Ready
Make sure that your vehicle doors are opened. The interiors have enough space for your mattress. If you need to remove the seats or adjust them, make sure you do that before you put your mattress in.
Wondering how to move a mattress without a truck?
Here are various vehicle options in which you can carry your mattress. Make sure you pick the right one or book the one big enough for your mattress.
- Pickup truck It is the best option that gives you ample space and security.
- Moving van The next best option after a pickup truck would be a moving van.
- SUV/car with luggage rack A luggage or roof rack can come in handy with the extra support.
- SUV/car without luggage rack Although an SUV with a luggage rack is considered ideal, but a normal SUV also works well.
Don’t Miss: What To Do With Purple Mattress Bag
Remove And Pack All Bedding
The third step is to remove all bedding from the bed, including sheets, quilts, blankets and pillows. We recommend washing linens prior to packing them in moving boxes. Once the bedding is packed up, remove the boxes from the bedroom in order to free up space for the mattress. This will also prevent you from tripping over moving boxes while moving the large mattress.
How Do You Move A Mattress
The best way to move a mattress is with two people. Since most mattresses dont have handles, you may find it a bit hard to get a grip on the mattress. Heres what to do:
Grab a furniture blanket or sheet and fold it in half several times the same way until you get a piece thats about a foot and a half in width and several feet long . Place the mattress on its side horizontally on top of the fabric and use the fabric to lift the mattress with one person on each side.
The sheet is there for something to grab on to and keep the mattress in sort of a hammock to safely and effectively move it from one place to another.
You may place the mattress on its side or vertical in the moving truck, preferably against a wall or up against a tier. If youre moving it into storage, keep reading for the correct way to store a mattress.
Read Also: Purple Mattress Cross Section
Drive To The Destination
Choose the right vehicle to accommodate your mattress size. Mattresses are best carried on their sides for easy maneuvering. While loading a mattress, keep it standing on its side, preferably leaning against a wall. If you dont have space to keep a mattress standing up, we suggest laying the mattress down flat. Be careful not to stack anything on top of it, though, as excess weight on the mattress can cause sagging.
Mattress Shipping Options And Costs
If you’re planning to ship a mattress, you can choose from one of two general options. Standard shipping involves movers picking up the mattress from your current location, transporting it to your desired destination, and leaving the mattress on the doorstep. You’ll need to package the mattress for shipping before the couriers arrive, then set up the bed at the new address.
If you opt for White Glove delivery, the couriers will pack up the mattress and transport it on a delivery truck or van. They will also unpack and set up the mattress after it reaches its destination. You won’t need to prep the mattress for shipping if you choose the White Glove option.
You May Like: Purple Mattress In A Bag
Is It Legal To Tie Your Mattress To The Top Of Your Car
Tying a mattress on top of your car is not illegal in the United States unless you havent tied it tightly. If the mattress is not tied properly, it may slide off the car, risking your life and the lives of others. You may be pulled over by the cops for not tying your mattress to the top of your car properly, and if your mattress falls off the roof, you can be faced with fines.
When Should I Prepare A Mattress For Moving: Driving Safety
Bear in mind that carry a mattress on your roof can potentially block some of your views. To be on the safe side, you should drive slowly and take back streets or roads if you can. Ask some friends or a relative if they can drive behind you, just so somebody can alert you in case the mattress slips. Your friends can also help you secure your mattress by holding each side of the mattress through the passenger side. This will secure the mattress more apart from the ropes.
Recommended Reading: Purple Mattress Payments
Mistakes To Avoid When Shipping Your Mattress
- Not packing your mattress properly: Dont skip bagging your mattress. Mattress bags are inexpensive and easy to find, and they will keep your mattress clean while protecting it from other damage.
- Not properly securing your mattress in the moving vehicle: If you dont secure your mattress in place in the back of your rented moving truck using rope or ratchet straps, your mattress may shift or fall during transit, which can cause damage to the mattress as well as other nearby belongings.
- Renting the wrong moving vehicle: Nothing can derail your moving day like finding out your stuff wont actually fit in the moving vehicle youve rented. Save yourself the hassle and expense of finding a properly-sized vehicle at the last minute by measuring your mattress before you sign a rental contract. Your mattress may take up more space than you expectfor example, a twin-size mattress will easily fit inside a moving van, but a queen-size mattress wont fit unless you bend it, which can cause irreparable damage to the support system.
- Storing memory foam mattresses upright: Memory foam mattresses should never be loaded or stored in an upright position for more than a few minutes. This can cause the layers to separate, leading to irreversible damage.
Load Mattress Onto Vehicle
Depending on the type of vehicle you are using, you may want to do this a few different ways.
Van or Truck
If you are using or renting a van or truck, then you will want your mattress to either lay flat against a fairly solid surface so you dont compromise the inner support, or upright flat against the side of the vehicle wall. If you place anything up against it, make sure there are no sharp points or angles, or any other type of heavy, narrow, hard surface that could cause damage.
Most pickup beds are large enough to comfortably fit a queen size or smaller mattress flat within the bed, or resting upon the wheel wells. A king size may need to lean against the side, possibly with the tailgate down- but again, it should set within it nicely for transport.
Make sure nothing is below or above the mattress during transport to keep from compromising your plastic or causing any punctures to the mattress itself.
If you are going to transport your mattress on top of a car, then you will want to make sure to place it up there carefully to keep from ripping the bag on any luggage racks you have, or even bending something on your car you dont want bent. Many small cars may be too narrow for larger, queen or king sized beds, so be sure to take into consideration size before you commit to this plan.
Don’t Miss: My Pillow Mattress Toppers
How To Transport A Mattress: A Simple Guide To Moving Your Own Mattress
Its inevitable that eventually you will be moving from one location to another, and if you have invested in your favorite sleep surface, then you are going to be moving it with you. If you are lucky, then professional movers have you covered and will wrap and secure your mattress for transport. But if you are reading this, then chances are you arent that lucky person, and will need to come up with a plan to move your mattress without damaging it beyond repair.
Thinking back on the awkwardness of getting said mattress into the house in the first place probably has you wondering how you are going to attempt this. But no worries, we have you covered with a brief mattress moving guide to help you troubleshoot your biggest concerns.
How To Wrap Furniture For Moving And Storage
Posted on April 14, 2011 by BlanketManThere have been
Regardless if you hire professional movers or move it yourself, it is good to know how to wrap the furniture and what to expect. We sell moving supplies and often hear questions: How many moving blankets do I need? Which moving blanket should I use and how do I wrap my furniture? How to wrap furniture for moving depends on specifics of your move. Is it interstate move, moving across the country, or local moving around the block? Are you loading PODS or packing international shipping container, or moving to long term storage? If you are getting ready to move and concerned about safely moving your household goods this series of articles will show in details how to wrap your furniture for any large or small move. People sometimes underestimate amount of packing required for a moving job, but it is important to pack your personal belongings properly.
I have been in the moving business for over 20 years, moved hundreds of families personally as a foreman and driver, and then thousands more as an owner of a moving company, both moving locally and moving interstate.
Word of caution about shopping for a moving company: If you have valuable furniture to move do not look for cheap movers, look for good ones. Inexperienced movers or movers with bad reputation compete on price, not on professionalism. Good movers deserve to be paid well.. As the saying goes you get what you paid for.
Moving packing supplies.
Recommended Reading: Can I Cancel My Mattress Firm Order
Consider The Size Of Your Mattress
You may think that the larger mattress the more challenging the move. But this isnt always the case. Take, for example, a split king size mattress and a queen size mattress. Although a split king size mattress may be larger when set up, it splits into two parts, while a queen size mattress doesnt. So a queen size mattress could actually be harder to move through narrow hallways and around corners. Its important to consider factors like this when planning to move your mattress.
To avoid any unnecessary surprises, be sure to measure your mattress before attempting to move it. Maneuvering the mattress and moving it out of your home will be a struggle if it turns out to be even an inch longer than you planned.
Evaluate Your Mattress: Should You Take It
Before starting to clean, wrap, and load your mattress, consider its age. If your mattress is 7-10 years old, sagging, or uncomfortable, you might want to replace it. Moving is the perfect time to choose a new mattress if you need one, but dont leave a perfectly good mattress when you could follow these steps and take it with you. After all, learning how to move a mattress isnt that hard.
Don’t Miss: What To Do With Purple Mattress Bag
Selling Donating And Recycling Your Mattress
“Many recycling centers offer mattress recycling. They’ll disassemble the mattress, remove the springs, and upcycle as much as possible.”
How To Pack Furniture For Moving
This article was co-authored by . Marty Stevens-Heebner is a Certified Professional Organizer and Founder of Clear Home Solutions, a home organizing and senior moving management company based in southern California. Marty is the first Certified Senior Move Manager in the United States and is a Certified Aging in Place Specialist through the National Association of Home Builders. She is the President-Elect and is on the board of directors of the National Association for Senior Move Managers, a member of the National Association of Professional Organizers, and has been acknowledged as a Hoarding Specialist and ADHD Specialist through the Institute for Challenging Disorganization.There are 14 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. This article has been viewed 141,405 times.
Moving can be exciting, but it can also feel like an overwhelming amount of work. Packing your furniture is one of the biggest components of any move. If you gather the right materials and wrap your pieces carefully, you can make sure they survive the move in great shape. Just make sure to break down larger items before packing, if possible. You’ll also want to take extra care with fragile items by using extra layers of protection.
Read Also: What To Do With Purple Mattress Bag