Motion Isolation And Noise
Surprisingly, the Original Purple mattress does a pretty good job of limiting motion transfer. You might not think so, given how responsive and sort of bouncy the polymer top layer is, but the bed actually passed our tests easily. It also doesnt make any noise, virtually none, which is standard with most new online beds nowadays.
Purple Vs Purple Hybrid Premier
|Lightweight to average Back sleepers
Previously called the Purple 3 and Purple 4, the Purple Hybrid Premier is the most luxurious Purple mattress. Instead of a 2 gel grid as found in the original Purple, it boasts either a 3 or 4 grid layer. This extra cushion means a softer feel and greater pressure relief. We prefer the Hybrid Premier for heavier sleepers and side sleepers who like a softer surface.
The original Purple utilizes foam in its base layer, while the Purple Hybrid Premier uses innerspring coils. This difference means the flagship Purple better isolates motion transfer while the Premier is cooler and bouncier. The original Purple is more affordable.
See our full Purple Hybrid Premier Mattress Review for more information.
Sleeping On The Purple Mattress
The Purple felt like a fantastic match while back sleeping. The Purple Grid collapsed under our butts to provide some pressure relief, while the grid stayed upright everywhere else to create plenty of support.
Moving to our sides, we did experience some pressure relief around the hip and shoulder. However, note that lighter-weight folks might not experience as much pressure relief in this position.
The Purple mattress felt like a great match while we were stomach sleeping. It offers plenty of support, which keeps the hips elevated and aligned with the spine. It is actually one of the best mattresses for stomach sleepers and best mattresses for combination sleepers.
You May Like: What’s The Best Mattress For A Heavy Person
Do You Need A Spring Box
Yes, you need a box spring if youre still using the traditional metal rail bed frame. You do not need box springs if you own newer memory foam, latex, or hybrid mattresses or prefer to sleep with your mattress on the floor.
So, its a straightforward question with a little bit of a maybe/maybe not answer.
Also Check: Where To Buy Wyoming King Mattress
Is Purple Right For You
The Purple Mattress brand worked on their patented Purple Grid design for 25 years. The Hyper-Elastic Polymer relieves pressure points and offers consistent support without building up heat like memory foam. If youre looking for consistent pressure relief and cooling in an online mattress, the Purple Mattress brand may be right for you.
We recommend trying one out in a showroom if possible, since the feel of Hyper-Elastic Polymer is unlike any other material on the market today. If it doesnt seem right for you, there are plenty of Purple mattress alternatives to consider.
- The proprietary Hyper-Elastic Polymer fashioned into the Purple Grid makes the Purple Mattresses some of the most cooling on the market
- Purple guarantees their beds to last for 10 years, with some customers reporting they last beyond that
- You can use the Purple Mattresses on almost any non-spring foundation, including slatted frames, adjustable beds, or the floor
- Purple sells foundations, blankets, sheets, pillows, and almost anything else you can think of to make your bedroom complete, making shopping for a new bedroom setup easy and convenient
- Purples mattresses can be outside the budget range of many customers
- Purple requires customers to try out their bed for at least 21 nights before returning it for a refund
You May Like: Does Cvs Have Air Mattresses
Nectar Vs Original Purple Comparison
The Nectar and Purple mattresses have very different constructions and materials, which is most evident in their comfort layers. The Nectars comfort layers feature multiple layers of memory foam, while the Purple features a hyper-elastic gel polymer.
RELATED: Purple vs Tuft and Needle
These materials create different feels. Thanks to its memory foam, the Nectar has a slow-moving feel that offers plenty of pressure relief and body contouring. Once again, the Purple is bouncy, responsive, and simultaneously squishy and firm.
The firmness ranking for these mattresses will depend a bit on the weight of the sleeper in question, but we ranked both of these beds around a 6.5/10.
The Nectar and Purple are also very similar in terms of price, although the Purple costs around $100 less.
Who Should Get the Nectar?
- Folks who like a memory foam feel
- Lighter-weight sleepers
- Side sleepers who need plenty of body contouring
Who Should Get the Purple?
- Heavier-weight sleepers
Purple Vs The Competition
- Both brands carry all-foam and hybrid models fitted with pocketed coils. The Purple Brand uses their Purple Grid in every mattress, while Amerisleep uses plant-based Bio-Pur®. Amerisleep does not carry a Kid Mattress, but their mattress lineup features five beds of different firmnesses, so a Kid Mattress is not necessary.
- Both Amerisleep and Purple make mattresses with cooling features. In the Purple beds, the Purple Grid is infused with gel to dissipate heat, and the grid design ensures warmth and moisture dont get trapped beneath the sleeper. In Amerisleeps beds, the Bio-Pur® foam is made with castor oil and has an advanced open-cell design, so its more cooling and responsive than traditional memory foam.
- Amerisleep has a 20-year warranty, while Purples warranty is the standard 10 years.
- Amerisleeps mattresses are slightly cheaper than Purples , but both brands have regular discounts and deals for customers on a budget.
Don’t Miss: How Long Foam Mattress Last
How To Flip A Mattress
welcome to our how to flip a mattress post. If you grew up using an innerspring mattress, flipping must have been part of the general care. While flipping a mattress may look like an old-age process, it ensures it wears down evenly over time. Besides, it helps to distribute weight across all parts over a long time.
After the flipping, the part that was resting on the bed frame will face up. How often you should flip will depend on the mattress in question. While this simple chore will prevent depressions and sagging, the number of times will also depend on who uses the mattress.
Most innerspring and some foam mattresses are designed to be flipped. And because they have two sleep able surfaces, you can use the side you prefer. If youre not sure how to flip your mattress, youve come to the right place. Here is a quick guide on how to flip the mattress.
Construction: Whats In The Purple
This bed-in-a-box brand is 9.5 inches tall. The cover extends over three layers and features a SoftFlex material composed of Polyester, Viscose, and Lycra that the company says better complements the unique feel of the comfort grid. The covers soft material allows it to not only adapt to both your movements and those of the grid, but it is also a breathable design.
- Below the cover is Purples signature 2-inch Hyper-Elastic Polymer grid that the brand calls pressure-erasing. It is highly durable, provides comfort, and protects the layers beneath. In addition, the structure allows it to release and equalize pressure across the grid, which evenly distributes weight. When pressure does not need to be released, the Purple grid holds its upright form to provide support. Purples hybrid version builds upon this construction by adding coils below the grid, and according to the brand, their coils do not cause the squeaking sound commonly associated with springs.
- The middle consists of 3.5 inches of medium-soft polyurethane foam. In addition to acting as a comfort layer, it helps to create a smooth transition from the top to the base layers.
- The base layer is a 4-inch medium-firm support level made from polyurethane foam. The layer gives the bed shape and durability.
Don’t Miss: What Size Is Standard Crib Mattress
What Is A Hybrid Mattress Can You Put A Hybrid Mattress In A Box Spring
In this article
Hybrid mattresses are made by combining different kinds of products in order to develop the most comfortable and healthy sleep surface readily available. When it comes to hybrid mattresses, there can be any combination of foam, memory foam, latex , or other materials.
Hybrid mattresses integrate 2 of the most popular materials in the interior bed linen market: memory foam and coil springs. The hybrid mattress is manufactured with one 3rd memory foam, one third coil springs and one third other product, such as air, polyurethane or latex. Hybrid mattresses supply a well balanced sleep experience for sleepers with varying requirements.
Read Also: How Much Are My Pillow Mattress Toppers
How To Flip Your Mattress In 4 Easy Steps
We’ve taught you how to rotate your memory foam or pillow top mattress now it’s time to learnhow to flip a mattress.
Before moving on to step 1, check your mattress manufacturer’s instructions to find out whether you should flip your mattress or not. You can also try taking a peek under the bottom corner of your bed. If the top and bottom look the same, there’s a good chance that it’s a go.
As we mentioned earlier, some mattresses shouldnt be flipped. Most memory foam mattresses, like those in the GhostBed line, are designed to have strategic layers that should stay in order. For example, the cooling cover on top and the high-density support foam for the base.
You May Like: Do You Use A Mattress Pad With A Mattress Topper
How Much Does A Queen Size Purple Mattress Weigh
– Denise VIt’s been an OK experience. We had an older mattress so when our Purple bed mattress arrived and we tested it out the difference was big. The significant advantage is that I don’t feel my husband moving and reversing anymore. That’s great! However aside from that I can’t truly say it’s an “out of this world, incredible mattress”.
Nobody might inform us anything so we went on and bought it with the existing sale. We were extremely dissatisfied to learn on Thanksgiving Day that the sale at that time was the free Purple Blanket + $100 discount – purple mattress review. We called and they could not honor us that so that was a bummer.
I believe if I were a back sleeper, it may be excellent, but I sleep on my side. This mattress does not allow sufficient provide at the hips . So, my waist is pulled down triggering discomfort and consistent shifting and adjusting.
I in fact hope we can return this mattress and get something else. Would dislike to have a mattress that we paid hard generated income for and can’t stand to sleep on. – Michael CEvery morning my wife and I would awaken with back ache’s from our old mattress. From asking around my chiropractic doctor said many of his customers had actually attempted the purple mattress and actually liked it.
Why Is Sleep Number So Good
Sleep Number may be best known for its adjustable air beds, which are built in a way that automatically adjusts to meet the sleepers needs. The Sleep Number beds tend to be popular with couples because they can be made with dual air chambers, so each person can adjust to their preferred setting without compromising.
Read Also: How Good Are Zinus Mattresses
Does The Purple Mattress Sag
Thats the most common question or email I get. I can definitively say NO, the purple mattress does not sag.
After 2 years of sleeping on, testing, egg dropping, storing, moving and all other violations of their limited warranty. I can say that mine has not developed sags after 2 years. Here is the thing, I have beaten it up so much more than anyone could imagine and its still as comfortable as it was when I first got it.
Here is a video explaining some of the dos and donts of their limited warranty and a little bit of information on both their trial period and on their warranty return policies.
Why Is The Purple Mattress So Uncomfortable
Purple mattresses are firm mattress for lightweight sleepers and it requires 30 to 60 days for a purple mattress to adjust to your body. And the purple grid in the purple mattress cause can hip and back pain because of its firmness level and lots of people have trouble sleeping with a purple mattress so if you are one of them then you can use a mattress pad to make your purple mattress more comfortable.
Recommended Reading: What Mattress Does Quality Inn Use
How Firm Is The Purple Mattress
I’d rate it around a medium on the firmness scale, or a 5 out of 10 with 10 being the firmest.
You can ask for a sample of the material before you test the bed, which I suggest doing if you’re on the fence about trying it. That way, you can decide with absolute certainty if you’re up for the bed or not. But you’ll probably find that it’s durable , soft and a creative idea for a bed’s comfort layer.
A peek at the Hyper-Elastic Polymer grid that gives the Purple its squishy feel.
Is A Flippable Mattress More Durable
A flippable mattress is often more durable than a one-sided mattress, but this isnt always the case.
One reason that a mattress can deteriorate is because pressure is applied to the same areas night after night. Flipping regularly can prevent these patterns of wear-and-tear. To some extent, a similar effect may be achieved by rotating a one-sided mattress.
Flippable mattresses do not always mean enhanced durability, though. Ultimately, the longevity of any mattress depends on its materials, and being two-sided cant compensate for weaker components. In addition, some mattresses with reversible firmness have very thin comfort layers on one side that may be more prone to wearing out.
Of course, durability also depends on how well you care for a mattress, so its important to use a proper bed frame, avoid spills and stains, and keep pets with claws off the bed.
You May Like: How Long To Ship Purple Mattress
Which Purple Should I Pick
To answer that question I needed to spend some time sleeping on both of them before I felt good about sharing my opinion. I bought the original Purple in the summer of 2017, and Purple sent me a Purple.3 in November of 2018. I put them side by side and spent some time sleeping on both before I put together the video above.
Fair warning, Im a huge fan of the original Purple mattress so I was a bit skeptical of the new Purple mattresses at first. When I received the Purple.3, I was instantly in love with it. However, after a few weeks I ended up moving it to storage and Im not sure when Ill take it out again. I encountered an issue with it and ended up going into more details about the polyfoam that they have on the edges of the mattress. Personally, I would choose the Original Purple over the New Purples and it is mainly due to my frame, Im just not big enough to justify the extra cost of moving up to their hybrid mattresses.
Should I Rotate My Purple Mattress
Its easy to select any mattress you like and call it a day. Sure, youll save some money and probably some time by doing your research, but youll spend enough time on a random mattress, and youll start wondering the reason you wake up exhausted and exhausted than the previous night.
Purple Mattress aims to solve the problem by studying the elements that make a comfortable sleep better, and combining it with unique technologies like their Purple Grid Layer, which provides the mattress with a distinct experience that is distinct from other mattresses on the market. This article will examine whether Purple Mattress is a good choice for your next mattress investment.
Before you continue, you may want to check out this video by Mac Dingle on YouTube that gives a quick review. After, youll want to read the rest of our article for a more comprehensive review of Purple Mattress.
You May Like: How To Select Mattress Firmness
Where Can You Try A Purple Mattress
Purple mattresses are available to try and buy in select mattress stores like Mattress Firm, Macy’s, and Rooms to Go. You can find a mattress store near you that carries Purple mattresses by searching here. If you are not near a retail location, Purple also offers a 100-night trial with a mattress purchase. If you still don’t love your mattress after 21 nights, you can begin a mattress return for a full refund within the 100-night trial period.
Why Should You Flip Or Rotate Your Mattress
The main reason you should flip or rotate your mattress is to prevent excessive pressure at one point, increasing the mattresss lifespan and giving you more nights of comfortable sleep. When you flip or rotateyour mattress, the chances of it becoming saggy decrease, and this, in turn, keeps the mattress firm.
Sleeping on the same side puts a lot of pressure on the same spots every night. If you weigh more than average, it will put additional pressure on the mattress, mainly where the hips and shoulders lie. This excess pressure will damage the structure of the mattress, causing it to sag way earlier than it should.
Don’t Miss: King Koil Elite Bellmont Pillow Top Mattress
Whos Going To Love The Purple Mattress
- Hot sleepers: The Purple is one of the coolest mattresses on the market that doesnt contain a layer of innerspring coils . Purple describes this mattress as temperature neutral, and our team agrees. Even the mattress cover is designed to be ultra-breathable for a refreshing nights sleep.
- Back sleepers: The top layer of the Purple mattress collapses at areas like the low back, delivering pressure reduction in sensitive areas.
- People with back pain: The Purple evenly distributes your body weight, which helps keep your spine in a healthy, neutral posture. Good sleeping posture reduces or prevents back pain, so we consider the Purple to be a good mattress for back pain sufferers.