How To Get Relief On A Budget
When youre struggling with back pain, you may feel like youre willing to give anything to get relief, but the realities of your budget can mean that you have to think about the impact of any mattress purchase on your bottom line. The good news is that there are multiple wallet-friendly ways to improve your bed, enhance your sleep, and give your back a rest.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of A Firm Mattress
A firm mattress is considered to be a hard mattress that has little or no indentation when you sit or lay on it. Good-quality form mattresses are usually made from memory foam and can vary in firmness.
Extra firm mattresses will have no indentation and medium-firm mattresses will show little indentation under body weight. For more info, lets look at the advantages and disadvantages of utilizing a firm mattress
- Comfortable for every sleeping style, especially for back and stomach sleeping positions.
- A firm mattress might enable a natural body alignment and position, allowing a better, deeper, and uninterrupted sleep.
- A firm mattress resists body weight and prevents the body from sinking into the mattress, which makes it excellent for heavier people.
- For those with back pain, it is believed that a firm mattress provides the necessary back support, especially in the lower lumbar region.
- A firm mattress is great for isolating motion so, if your partner tosses and turns during sleep, youll stay uninterrupted.
Beckham Hotel Collection Bed Pillows For Sleeping
$ as of 11/04/2022 04:29
- Superior Comfort: Our cool pillow is encased in a 250-thread count cover, and filled with a soft down alternative.
- Keep Cool: If you easily overheat, or maybe you’re looking for cool queen size pillows for night sweats, the breathability of our bed pillow can offer welcome relief.
- Safe & Sound: These bed pillows are made in an OEKO-TEX Standard 100 factory that ensures textiles meet high safety and environmental standards.
- Easy Clean: Unlike a memory foam pillow, our side sleeper pillow is designed to make life as easy as counting sheep! Simply pop them in the washer and tumble dry.
- No Shift Construction: Whether you’re a supine sleeper, a power napper, or you love a sideways siesta – our cooling pillows for sleeping can accommodate! The plush bounce-back design will shape to your favorite position.
Read Also: Alaskan King Tempurpedic
Benefits & Drawbacks Of Firm Mattresses
Firm mattresses have many benefits and support is chief among them. Firm mattresses are more supportive than soft mattresses and hold up the body, rather than letting it sink in too far. Lying on a firm mattress, most people will feel like they are sleeping on top of the mattress, and they should have no real issues moving around on the mattress.
This also makes firm mattresses cooler than soft mattresses. Lying more on top of the mattress, more of the body is exposed to the air that is moving around in the bedroom.
However, while firm mattresses offer great support, they arent the best when it comes to pressure relief. Side sleepers might feel some serious pressure on their shoulders and hips when they lie on a firm mattress. Also, while comfort is subjective, many people dont find firm mattresses to be as comfortable.
Sleep On Your Back In A Reclined Position
Do you really feel most comfortable snoozing in a reclining chair? Although sleeping in a chair might not be the very best selection for back pain, this position can be valuable if you have isthmic spondylolisthesis Consider investing in a flexible bed so you can rest in this manner with the most effective placement and also assistance.
Read Also: Can You Fold A Purple Mattress
How To Know If Your Mattress Is Giving You Back Pain
Sometimes its hard to tell what the cause of your back aches are since there are several proven causes. Still, therere three ways to know if your mattress is the cause.
The first clue is to observe when the ache starts. Usually, when the pain is coming from your bed, youll probably wake up feeling it. However, if youre able to stretch thoroughly, youll get rid of the pain within15â30 minutes.
Another way to tell whether your mattress is doing more harm than good is to study how smooth your sleep goes. Tossing and frequently turning at night, or waking up at random times during sleep is a sign that your bed isnt ideal enough.
Thirdly, if your mattress has lasted for at least eight years, chances are that its no more in its the best shape. Old mattresses tend to have lost their ideal form.
In the case of an old innerspring mattress, it will start to sag. Meanwhile, memory foam will not be able to cradle the hip and shoulders as it is supposed to.
When Should You Choose A Firm Mattress
Determining whether a firm mattress is right for you starts by taking your body type, typical sleep position, and personal preferences into account. Here are three times when a firm mattress is a good option:
- You’re a stomach sleeper. Most stomach sleepers do best on a medium-firm to firm surface, as this allows your body to maintain the best possible alignment while lying face-down. A mattress that’s too soft will pull your spine downward into an exaggerated curve, especially if you carry extra weight around your midsection. Most stomach sleepers will be well suited by a mattress in the 4-7 range on the typical firmness scale. The higher your weight, the higher you should go in that range.
- You have a bigger body. If you weigh more than 230 pounds, you’ll likely sleep better on a firmer mattress than a softer one. A medium-firm to firm mattress will help keep your spine aligned without sagging. This, in turn, will help prevent low back pain, something larger-bodied people are at higher risk of suffering from.
Don’t Miss: Alaskan King Wyoming King Bed
Coop Home Goods Original Loft Pillow Queen Size Bed Pillows For Sleeping
as of 11/04/2022 04:29
- FINALLY YOU HAVE FOUND THE ONE! Meet the worlds best adjustable pillow. Customize it to achieve just the right individual balance between support and comfort. Whether you are a side, back or stomach sleeper this is the pillow for you! Get ready for the most restful sleep you can experience.
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE, YOU ARE IN CONTROL Experiencing pain, snoring or tossing and turning are all signs of sleeping wrong. Our unique adjustable design allows you to access the memory foam fill, which you can add or remove to suit your size, shape or sleep position. SLEEP RIGHT! – Foam fill, which you can add or remove to suit your size, shape, and sleep position. Sleep comfortably and aligned at last.
- IS YOUR PILLOW GREEN GUARD GOLD CERTIFIED? Our Coop Home Goods Eden Pillows undergo strict, third-party lab testing and are CertiPUR-US and GREENGUARD Gold certified to ensure safety and quality. No harmful chemicals here! IT`S 100% SAFE FOR YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES. Vegan & Cruelty Free no animals were harmed in the making of this awesome pillow.
- WE CARE ONLY THE HIGHEST QUALITY MATERIALS USED! – The case is made with proprietary Lulltra fabric, a blend of bamboo-derived viscose rayon and polyester that provides breathability and softness. You can finally wake up refreshed. Unlike other pillows we freshly manufacture our foam instead of using repurposed materials. A bonus ½ lb bag of fill is included with your order if you need a higher loft.
Why We Get Back Problems
About 80% of sleepers are likely to come across some type of lower back pain throughout their lifetime. Of course, it goes without saying that not everyone is actually affected in the same way by these issues.
However, this doesnt mean that you should stay uninformed about them. Some have the potential to get worse over time.
There are two types of back pain that are commonly observed: Acute pain that lasts for less than about six weeks and chronic pain which is less frequent but longer lasting. This is according to the reputable Mayo Clinic. The breakdown is followed by serious research and studies carried over periods of time and a lot of back pain sufferers.
With this in mind, there are also different causes for back pain . Here are a few common ones and some tips on how to prevent them.
Read Also: Can A Purple Mattress Go On A Box Spring
Suitable For Lightweight Sleepers
Whether resting on their side, back, or stomach, lighter individuals , will naturally experience very little sinking. If these individuals sleep on a firm mattress, tension can build-up near the pressure pointscreating pain and stiffness. Lightweight sleepers need a soft bed that will quickly respond to their body weight for adequate contouring.
Is A Firm Mattress Better For Your Back
Is a firm mattress better for your back? This is a question we hear often from a lot of sleepers who struggle with back pain. The short answer: it depends on your personal needs and there is a difference between a firm feel and a supportive mattress. In general, individuals who struggle with back pain after getting out of bed are suffering because their spine isnt getting enough support from their mattress.
Factors such as your preferred sleeping position, weight, and feel preference all contribute to the type of mattress you need. For example, depending on your weight and sleeping position, a firmer mattress might do a great job of distributing your weight evenly across the mattress OR it might create discomfort for the neck, shoulders, and pelvic, which can lead to lower back pain.
In short, sleeping on a hard bed doesnt necessarily equate to support. But dont worry. Texas Mattress Makers is here to help you find a mattress that will provide optimal support and comfort for your personal sleep needs.
Recommended Reading: Plush Vs Euro Top
Linenspa 8 Inch Memory Foam And Innerspring Hybrid Medium
$ as of 11/04/2022 04:29
- 8 inch hybrid twin bed mattress combine hypallergenic memory foam with the traditional support of an innerspring mattress for a medium-firm feel perfect for kids rooms, guest beds, or an affordable low-profile option
- A plush layer of memory foam helps align the spine to minimize pressure points for increased comfort in our memory foam mattress
- Finished with a cozy knit cover, this mattress is compressed as a bed in a box for convenient delivery and setup
- Available in a medium-firm 8-inch profile, a medium 10-inch profile, or a plush 12-inch profile with edge suppport.
- Packaging process may leave small brown flecks called carbons in the mattress packaging These carbons are harmless pieces of plastic and will not stick to your mattress 10 year limited warranty
How Old Is Your Mattress
Dr. Perry warns that mattress springs break down over time, which makes your bed softer. This can aggravate a patients back, he says.
Based on this, does it makes sense for you to get a new mattress, or can you reduce pain and stiffness with your old one? While this is likely to vary among individuals, medical research may help shed some light on the question:
A study in Applied Ergonomics measured the comfort and quality of sleep for 27 patients with low back pain and stiffness. The participants recorded their sleep comfort and quality in their own beds for 21 days and then with a prescribed bedding system, which they used for 12 weeks. The study found that the participants showed progressive improvement in back pain and stiffness on the new mattresses and their quality of sleep improved significantly.
Read Also: Wyoming King Bed Retailers
Back Pain Pressure Points
If there is an overly vital area to be attentive to when suffering from back pain, its the pressure points that an improper mattress can cause on your body. These points mean that there is extra push back to a specific area. This can cause misalignment throughout your body and your spine.
Once it has moved out of alignment, there is an increased amount of pressure placed on your spine. Thats one of the common causes of back pain. Thinking about it that way may just help you answer the question, Is a firm mattress good for your back? from a whole new angle.
With this said, its essential to ensure that you arent sleeping on a bed that places too much pressure on your spine. This is also true for any major joints. Thats whats going to allow your body to rest in a relaxed state. The chance of pressure points forming along the spine as well as the lower back is diminished dramatically when the appropriate product is picked.
Pressure points are capable of causing long-term deformations and pains along your spine. This isnt something that you can likely afford as it can quickly turn into a chronic condition.
Another Organic Option Thats Ideal For Back Sleepers
Cyber Monday mattress sale: Enter the promo code SAVEBIG to score $125 off Avocados hybrid and latex mattresses or code BFBLISS to save $3o0 on the brands Organic Luxury Plush Mattress. You can also get $200 off wood bed frames.
- Materials: GOLS-organic latex, pocketed support coils
- Sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King
- Trial period: One year
Many of todays mattresses are made from memory foam, which typically contains synthetic chemicals. If youre looking for something a bit more eco-friendly, consider the Avocado Green Mattress. Its constructed of organic ingredients, including a layer of organic latex sitting on top of more than 1,000 pocketed support coils. The mattress has a gentle-yet-firm feel and five distinct ergonomic zones that adapt to your pressure points and provide relief where you need it. The thoughtful construction also helps reduce motion transfer and distributes weight more evenly so the mattress can contour to your bodys natural shape. Its best for back and stomach sleepers.
Look For Zoned Support
Some mattresses like the Level Sleep mattress offer zoned support or zoned firmnesses so that you can experience more support around your lower back and greater pressure relief around your shoulders and head.
This can help to promote better posture and reduce pressure more effectively when compared to a mattress that has the same amount of support/firmness across the entire surface area of the mattress.
You Get Your Best Nights Sleep On Vacations
You may be getting better rest on your vacation because you are simply more relaxed. But if youre waking up without pain or with less pain while sleeping on a hotel mattress or a mattress in a guest bedroom, thats a pretty good indicator that your mattress is at least partially to blame for your back pain.
You May Like: Wyoming King Frame
Types Of Medium Firm Mattresses
How a mattress performs is affected by its construction. There are five common mattress types: hybrid, innerspring, foam, latex, and airbed. Each mattress type offers a unique set of benefits and drawbacks for different sleeping positions and weight ranges.
Each mattress category shares certain characteristics that can give you an idea of how it will feel. However, different brands and models can differ widely in terms of quality and construction, so shoppers should still research the details of a mattress before buying.
Misalignment Of The Spinal Cord
A mattress with lots of firmness will not support your spinal cord as expected. On the contrary, what it does is to provide support only to the heavy parts of your body, like hips, thighs, etc. Such a situation creates pressure points that are not comfortable. Apart from the discomfort, such a mattress may also cause numerous long term problems, such as inadequate support for the spinal cord.
For some, a firm mattress may cause all kinds of problems. By sleeping on the mattress you may not be able to understand what your body is trying to do since most of the muscles will perform subconsciously.
Also Check: Casper Slats
What Mattress Firmness Is Best For Back And Neck Pain
Research from 2015 suggests that a medium-firm, self-adjusted mattress is best for back pain. However, firmness is subjective. What feels firm to you might feel soft to someone else. Its best to try out a mattress in a store before buying it, or to choose a mattress that comes with an in-home trial period.
Can Memory Foam Hurt Your Back
A memory foam mattress can cause back pain if you don’t find the firmness level best suited for you. The ideally firm mattress for your sleep position keeps your spine in neutral alignment while relieving your pressure points. Side sleepers will be most comfortable on a medium, medium-soft, or soft mattress.
Also Check: Casper Mattress Slats
Dont Slump Over Your Desk
When sitting in a workplace chair, make use of the same great posture techniques you make use of when standing. Its important to maintain great stance as well as sustain your when sitting down, particularly if you do it for a number of hrs each day. Choose a quality chair that gives strong assistance for your reduced back, and also see to it your knees are a little more than your hips when you rest. Is Firm Mattress Good For Lower Back Pain
Suitable For Back And Stomach Sleepers
When resting on the back, the hips and buttocks tend to sink. If the mattress is too soft, these areas may sink excessivelyresulting in a misaligned spine and tense muscles. Back sleepers tend to sleep best on a firmer bed that will prevent sinking and keep the hips in line with the shoulders and head. When the spine is neutral, the body can fully relax and repair.
Our spines naturally curve, but when sleeping the stomach, this curve can become exaggerated. Over time, the pressure this position places on the back and neck can lead to chronic pain. In most cases, it is best to avoid stomach sleeping. However, if you find it difficult to avoid this position, the best mattresses for stomach sleeping are firmer. A firm bed will keep the hips lifted to reduce the pressure on the spine.
Read Also: Does Casper Mattress Need Box Spring