Recycle Your Old Mattress
If you cannot donate your used mattress to a charity organization, recycling it is another way to keep it from the landfill and get a second life out of its components. Many mattresses consist of at least 75% recyclable materials.
However, you can’t simply place a mattress in a curbside recycling bin. Instead, you’ll need to call upon a mattress recycling service to break down the bed into its recyclable parts for you, then donate them to the appropriate recycling centers.
Common mattress materials that are recyclable include:
- Metal coils
- Wood frames
Mattress recycling companies can repurpose these materials in various ways. For example, the wood from box springs can become mulch or animal bedding. Meanwhile, the fabrics and foams can find a second life in pillows.
Keep in mind that recycling your mattress probably won’t be free. You’ll need to pay the recycling company for the labor and time involved in breaking down your mattress. You may also need to pay to pick up your mattress if you don’t want to drop it off yourself.
Either way, recycling your mattress is an eco-friendly alternative to simply throwing it in a landfill.
How Long Should Your Mattress Last
How long should your mattress last? Great question! Over time, every mattress is going to eventually lose its ability to provide the support and comfort you need for a good nights sleep. This means that everyone will need to dispose of their old mattresses a few times during their lifetime.
While the average life span of a mattress is 10 years, the type and quality of the mattress is going to ultimately determine how long your mattress will last. Lesser quality mattresses tend to last an average of 5 to 7 years.
Eco Terra Latex Mattresses last an average of an impressive 15 years.
How To Sell A Mattress
- Sell your mattress locally: Before you consider this option, you should know that selling a mattress may be illegal in your state. Many states only allow you to sell a used mattress after youve cleaned it in a rigorous and specific way. Check with your state to find out its regulations. Because the department that handles bedding varies from state to state, you might have to contact your state departments of Health, Consumer Affairs, Agriculture or Licensing.You arent going to make enough money to justify shipping your used mattress across the country, so think local when you advertise. Anywhere that allows for an advertisement, such as a library, community center or locally-owned restaurant is a good place to start. When youre writing a sales ad, include details about the cleanliness of your mattress along with details about its history: Non-smoking house, no pets and a relatively recent purchase date are all major selling points.
- Sell your mattress online: Websites dedicated to consumer sales are the best place to start when youre trying to sell your mattress. You can also use your social network to advertise your mattress. Place an ad on all of your social networking sites, and encourage your friends to share your post.
You May Like: Do You Need A Box Spring For Purple Mattress
Can Old Mattresses Be Recycled
Yes, mattresses can be recycled and the practice is fairly common. Through mattress recycling, approximately 80-90% of the mattress can be reused. Thats quite a lot of material that can be reused and turned into new products!
What parts of a mattress can be recycled?
Steel springs, wood frames, stuffing, and fabric are all contained in a mattress and can be recycled and reused in different ways. However, mattresses cant simply be left out for pickup with your regular recycling. Youll often need to find a facility that specializes in mattress recycling, and youll need to transport it there on your own.
Why is recycling a mattress is good for the environment?
When you decide to recycle your old mattress, you help reduce the amount of waste that ends up in your local landfill. Many parts of the mattress need to be recycled, as they take decades to decompose if they end up in a landfill.
How To Donate A Used Mattress
If your mattress is in fairly good condition, you can donate it to a charitable organization.
Here are some options you may want to consider:
- Habitat for Humanity International
- Furniture Bank Association of America
- Small local charities and shelters
- Pet rescue centers
The Salvation Army and other larger organizations have strict policies regarding donations. Most times, they offer free pickup services.
Recommended Reading: Alaskan King Wyoming King Bed
How Do I Get Rid Of An Old Mattress
If youve purchased your mattress from a brick and mortar store like a furniture or mattress store, you are most likely having the mattress delivered to your home. Nearly every retail store will include the removal of your old mattress in the price of delivery if you desire. Check with the salesperson when you are setting up delivery and make sure they can remove your old mattress. You may also want to check that they follow through with recycling old mattress they pick up and they do not just end up at the dump and then a landfill.
If it is a smaller independent mattress retailer, they may or may not be taking the extra steps to haul mattresses to a recycling center that accepts them. Usually, larger chains are set up to take them to a recycling center where they are disassembled, and whatever parts can be recycled are separated. This is usually a free service or included with delivery costs, and would be the simplest, least complicated way to get rid of that old worn-out mattress. You wont have to wrap or load up a large, heavy mattress, so if this is a possibility save your back and some time. Let the professionals remove it for you.
How To Figure Out When It’s Time For A New Mattress
Before you plan how to get rid of your mattress, you should consider whether you actually need to dispose of it.
Generally, people get rid of mattresses when they purchase a new one. Here are a few signs that it may be time to buy a new mattress:
- Sagging: If your mattress has begun sagging in the middle, it can no longer provide adequate support. Buying a new one can save you the back pain that may occur when sleeping on an unsupportive mattress.
- Discoloration: Mattresses typically change color slightly over time due to the oxidation of the outer cover. However, if your mattress is excessively discolored, it may be time for a new one.
- Allergies: Innerspring mattresses accumulate dust, dirt, skin cells, hair, and other allergens over time. If you’ve begun experiencing allergies in the mornings, it could be time to replace your mattress with a fresh, allergen-free one.
Find Out More:How Often Should You Replace Your Mattress?
You May Like: How Much Are My Pillow Mattress Toppers
How Our Mattress Removal Process Works
Mattress Disposal Plus strives to achieve the best possible result for your mattress disposal and removal. Clients can be assured of the quality services and enjoy the convenience of our easy-to-use online booking system. All you need to do is give us a call or book online today and youll be good to go until we arrive for your scheduled appointment.
Once we arrive, we will do all the heavy lifting for your scheduled Edison mattress disposal needs. There will be no need to worry about how to get rid of your old mattress again. We also offer other services like hauling off your old furniture. We are proud to offer our clients the satisfaction that comes along with quality and efficient service.
Get Rid Of Your Mattress In Wall Township Red Bank Middletown & Nearby
Upgrading your bedding is exciting, but dealing with mattress disposal isn’t- until now! Mattresses are heavy, unwieldy, and end up in landfills way too often. Together, we can work to reverse the cycle by getting rid of your old mattress responsibly and helping your community at the same time.
With the help of The Junkluggers of the Jersey Shore, you won’t have to worry about what happens to your old mattress because we recycle and donate as many as we can. Contact your local junk haulers today to get a free mattress removal estimate.
You May Like: Wyoming King Bed Frame
We Do The Work While You Sit Back And Relax
- Looking to Dispose Bulky Items? We do all the work for you! Furniture removal, appliance removal, gym equipment removal, Boat Removal & more! Let us do all the heavy lifting for you, no need to dirty your hands, let the Rats do it for you.
- Need Clutter & Hoarder Clean Up? Hoarding can be very dangerous to your health, mental state, and your home. Hoarding dangers can include: mold growth, bug infestations, structural damage, and tripping hazards. Hoarding has been known to also overwhelm the mind, cause stress, anxiety, and drain energy levels. We treat these cases with patience and organization. Let us help you. We bag and box accordingly all you pay is ONE flat rate! Just give us a call.
- Inquiring about Estate Clean Out? Our crew will perform the work with respect in this difficult time. We donate up to 70%. We do not charge by the weight or by the hour, whatever time it takes to do the job, is on us. We understand this time is difficult enough for you, let us do ALL the hard work. Call a representative today 1-844-586-5728
- We do all the labor! We bag, box, carry and lift all unwanted items.
- Dont have much junk to dispose? NO problem! You only pay for the occupied space on the truck.
- Hauling and dumping fees also included in our flat fee.
- No hidden fees, It is Just a flat rate!!!
Put Your Mattress For Sale On The Web
Some online platforms and giveaway apps that can come in handy:
To get the best possible price for your used bed, post accurate photos of the mattress and arm yourself with patience. Its likely you will get questions from potential buyers.
In addition to some of the above online sales locations, there are offline options as well to sell locally.
- Prepare sales ads or fliers with photos of the mattress, information about its condition, and your contact number.
- Distribute the fliers around your neighborhood. Some ideas for local places that may allow advertising are libraries, restaurants, cafes, and community centers.
Keep in mind though that selling used mattresses is illegal in some states. Check your states laws regarding selling old mattresses, in order to avoid trouble with the law.
Read Also: Drury Inn Mattresses
Mattress Removal In Weehawken New Jersey
Theres a variety of things that can happen after we pick up your mattress, and it all depends onthe state its in. Theres just no saving some mattresses, so JunkDoctors ensures they end upin a facility that is properly equipped to handle mattress disposal in Weehawken New Jersey. In many cases, parts of theold mattress can be recycled, and as long as you live near such a recycling facility, well makesure the mattress gets there.
Of course, a lot of mattresses we remove still have some life left in them. If your old mattress isfree of stains, has no rips or tears and isnt otherwise broken, well make sure it gets donatedto an organization that places older mattresses with people in need of a decent place to sleep.If youre ready to have a mattress removed, just reach out, and JunkDoctors will be there.
Can You Donate A Mattress
Absolutely! As long as your mattress is in good condition, it can be donated. This means your mattress should be free from stains, rips, or tears, and not be broken in any way. Each local charitable organization that accepts mattress donations will have slightly different standards for what they take, so its best to check with them before you drop it off.
Don’t Miss: Purple Mattress Financing
Can Old Mattresses Be Recycled In New Jersey
Mattresses can be made of a variety of materials, including steel, wood, cotton and polyurethane foam. Because of this, they can be difficult to recycle. However, most mattresses can still be recycled.
This usually involves taking your old mattress to a specialized recycling facility where they are equipped to handle mattresses. The recycling process can involve many steps. First, it will be cut in half to help them separate the materials. The metal pieces are then removed for further processing, while the rest of the fiber materials are shredded and baled.
Through this process, as much as 90% of the mattress can be reused, but this number varies widely from place to place. Thats a lot of material that can be reused and turned into new products!
If youre not sure where to take your mattress to be recycled, or simply dont have the time to take care of if yourself, JunkDoctorsNJ is happy to help with your old mattress pick up! The process is easywhen we arrive, all you need to do is show us where your old mattress is located, and well take care of the rest. All you have to do is point! You can rest easy knowing that your mattress has been properly recycled and disposed of.
Make the call to us today so we can take care of your New Jersey mattress right away!
Request an Estimate Today!
What Happens When A Mattress Is Recycled
First mattresses are separated into those that can be reused and those that cannot. For the ones that can be reused they are generally cleaned and donated to charity.
For mattresses that cannot be reused the recycling process starts with stripping them into all the different types of materials. The four main types of materials found in a mattress include foam, timber, steel, and fabrics and wadding. According to Soft Landing when a mattress is recycled up to 75% of the components can be recycled.
The four main components and what they can be used for:
- FOAM the polyurethane foam may be recycled into carpet underlay or used for animal bed padding.
- STEEL SPRINGS the Steel Springs in beds can be recycled as scrap metal or may be used to make products such as Roof Sheeting, vehicle parts, appliances or building materials.
- TIMBER Timber is recycled into kindling, mulch and animal bedding or may be used in manufacturing particleboard.
- FABRIC Fabric can be used in various industries such as industrial oil filters, R& D, or end use products such as acoustic panelling.
Don’t Miss: Sleep Number Cancel Order
Goodwill Donation Center Locations
- Goodwill Stores accept computers and computer peripherals and TVs. Goodwill does not accept consumer electronics such as radios, DVD players, CD players, stereos, cell phones, etc.
- Woodcrest Shopping Center Route 561 and Browning Lane, Cherry Hill, NJ, Hours: Monday through Saturday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Sunday, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Larchmont Commons Shopping Center, Route 38, Suite 7 Mt. Laurel, NJ, Hours: Monday through Saturday, 8:00 am to 7:00 pm, Sunday, 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
- , 100 Mount Laurel Road, Mt. Laurel, NJ 234-2070, Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 3:30 pm
- Maple Shade, 2835 Route 73, Phone: 439-0174, Hours: Monday through Saturday, 9:00 am to 9:00 pm, Sunday, 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Bellmawr, 125 Black Horse Pike, Phone: 933-5290, Hours: Monday through Saturday, 9:00 am to 9:00 pm, Sunday, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
We’ll Handle It From Here
Republic Services, Inc. is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste disposal.
Through our collection companies, transfer stations, recycling centers and landfills, we focus on providing effective and reliable environmental services and solutions to make proper recycling and waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers.
We are committed to the preservation of a Blue Planet®… a cleaner, safer and healthier world where people thrive not just for today, but for generations to come. Republic Services is experienced in meeting sustainability requirements and committed to providing environmentally responsible solutions to meet current and future market recycling and solid waste needs.
Our website access is limited to locations within the United States. Below you will find links to websites accessible to locations outside of the United States.
Recommended Reading: Wyoming Mattress Size
Hauling Mattresses Across Chill
We provide easy mattress pickup throughout the Jersey City neighborhoods and metro area. We pickup from your home or business with easy online scheduling. We can help with all of your Jersey City mattress disposal needs.
We offer mattress disposal and removal services, as well as furniture removal, to all areas of Jersey City including but not limited to Paulus Hook, Newport, Greenville, Croxton and more.
How To Dispose Of Mattress Nj
The average mattress takes up 40 cubic feet which means that one years worth of discarded mattresses will occupy more than 132000 square miles of landfill space. The truth is a good mattress is hard to come by and getting rid of the worn out old one can prove difficult.
2020 Mattress Disposal Cost Calculator Somerset New Jersey Manta
Recommended Reading: Wyoming King Mattress
Can You Sell A Mattress In Nyc
Businesses that sell used mattresses need a license from the New York State Department of State . Bedding is considered used if it is provided for resale more than 30 days after original delivery. Business must pay a fee. Private individuals selling a mattress to another person do not need a license.
Dispose Of With Household Waste
Perhaps none of the above appeal or just simply had no luck with either of the options. If youre able to disassemble it into small enough pieces and can store it for some weeks , you could then dispose of it little by little with the normal household waste. It will obviously take longer to get rid entirely, but will eventually be gone without having to pay any fees.
Recommended Reading: Wyoming King Bed Retailers