How Do I Make Sure Ive Picked Out The Best Mattress For Me
If you know when youre going to buy your new mattress, but youre still not sure how to choose a mattress thats right for you, the following questions can help –
- How firm do you want your new mattress to be? Firmer mattresses are a better choice for stomach sleepers, who need extra support keeping their body aligned during sleep. A softer mattress is a great option for someone who wants to feel cushioned and comforted during their sleep. Puffy mattresses are all around the medium-firm range, though the Puffy Mattress is often recommended for sleepers of all positions, while the Puffy Lux is a better option for those who need relief from chronic back pain.
- What specific sleep problems do you struggle with at night? Do you often wake up with a bad case of the night sweats? Are you tossing and turning in your bed at night as you try to get comfortable? Are back aches when you get out of bed in the morning something you expect to feel? Figuring out if you want a cooling mattress, something made for pressure relief, or a bit of both can help your decision making process.
- What material would you prefer your mattress to be? Different mattress types have their own strengths and weaknesses. The best memory foam mattresses are a popular option for sleepers who are looking for pressure-relief in their sleep, since it can help contour to your body better. Traditional innerspring mattresses tend to be firmer, while hybrid mattresses combine the best of both worlds.
How You Know You Need A New Mattress
Before deciding when to buy a new mattress, you have to determine whether you need a new mattress in the first place.
A number of factors determine your sleep health and hygiene, including your mattresss durability, firmness, and quality. If your mattress is getting old and worn, you run the risk of developing insomnia, pain, poor sleep quality, and other sleep-related issues.
If youre noticing any of the following signs, its probably time to get a new mattress:
- You wake up feeling stiff or achey somewhere in your body.
- You feel tired after a full nights rest.
- You feel fatigued throughout the day, despite getting eight hours of sleep a night.
- Your mattress exhibits signs of wear and tear like lumps, worn edges, stains, lumps, and sagging.
- Youre experiencing allergy symptoms like wheezing and coughing, or your mattress is dusty.
- You end up in the middle of your mattress while you sleep.
- You find other beds or even your couch more comfortable for sleeping than your own bed.
- Its been over seven years since youve purchased a new mattress .
Different mattresses have different lifespans, although the average length of a mattress life is around seven years. Even if you havent had your current mattress for long, it may be time to purchase a new mattress if you are experiencing any new sleep problems. Before you jump straight to investing in a whole new mattress, however, make sure your sleep issues arent a result of factors like poor sleep hygiene or sleep apnea.
How To Buy A Mattress Brick And Mortar Vs Online Retail Sites
You should be aware of a few things before purchasing a mattress. While you might prefer to shop online, it is best to experience a mattress first hand and know what size you require.
If you are in the market for a new mattress, you should know the size you need, the budget, and the type or brand you prefer.
If you need help finding the perfect mattress, you can refer to a mattress buying guide.
You can either buy mattresses online or offline, but each option has its set of pros and cons.
Read Also: How Much Is A Cal King Mattress
Towards The End Of Winter Or Start Of Spring
New mattresses start trickling into store showrooms in March and April.
Once the new full-priced models show up, customers can easily distinguish between the old and new and choose to buy last years mattresses at discounts.
If youre shopping in March and there arent too many new models out yet, consider asking a manager when they’ll be arriving and make sure to return at turnover time to buy lower-priced older models.
Best Time To Buy A Mattress: Buying Online Vs In
Online mattress companies price considerably less than brick-and-mortar retailers owing to variations in overhead expenses.
There are several additional pricing factors to consider when purchasing a mattress either online or in-person. These include:
Depending on the state where you reside, you may need to pay sales tax as part of your mattress purchase. The highest sales tax rates vary about 9 per cent, while five states Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon do not levy a sales tax.
Additionally, residents of California, Connecticut, and Rhode Island must pay a recycling tax for every mattress purchase. These recycling costs vary by state but are usually about $10.
2. Ground Shipping
If you buy a mattress online, then standard ground delivery will probably be free as long as you dwell in the contiguous U.S.
For people in Alaska, Hawaii, and U.S. territory, shipping may be free but it may also be costly, reaching up to $600 or more, in certain instances.
Be careful to verify the manufacturers shipping regulations and usual delivery costs before purchasing.
3. White-Glove Delivery
This service, offered by certain online and brick-and-mortar mattress manufacturers, involves a crew coming to bring a mattress to your house and installing it for you.
White-Glove delivery comes with a specified delivery date and time and complete assembly in a room of your choosing. Some carriers will also remove your old mattress and/or box spring upon request.
Read Also: What Is A Good Mattress Topper
Whats Bad About Offline Shopping
- Salespeople can be too assertive and pushy. Some of them are too aggressive, some of them just can’t listen, and some of them only want to close the deal, not to help you choose the best mattress. Youll never find pushy salespeople in online shops.
- The assortment is usually not that wide in most offline stores, you’ll only find a limited selection of mattresses.
- Lying on a mattress for 5-15 minutes is still not enough. In reality, its more a psychological thing touching and even laying on the mattress for 5, 10, and even 15 minutes is surely not enough to understand if the mattress will work great for you or not.
- No trial periods. If you buy a mattress in an offline store, bring it home, and realize that its, say, too firm , you cant just return it and get your money back.
- It’s more expensive. The cost of running an offline mattress store is quite high, so online shops usually offer the same products at lower prices.
What Time Of Year Do Mattresses Usually Go On Sale
You can usually get the best deals if you shop for a mattress during the holidays. The most ideal time of the year to buy a mattress is in May particularly during Memorial Day weekend but mattress stores usually run sales during other times of the year as well. Timing your purchase with the major holidays such as Labor Day is usually your best bet if you want to get a steeply discounted price.
Don’t Miss: How Do You Choose The Right Mattress
Mattresses Throughout The Year
If you need a new TV, youll likely wait until Cyber Monday. A new car? Studies show that December is the best time to purchase new wheels. As with these other items, the cost of mattresses varies with the seasons.
However, thanks to unique features of the industry, theres more than one good month to buy a mattress. The following are all great times of year to buy a mattress:
- Three-day weekends are generally a great time to buy mattresses, and Presidents Day is no exception. As each mattress manufacturer gears up to release new models in the spring, you may find steep discounts on last years mattresses. Beat the winter blahs by upgrading your sleep situation.
- May Like Presidents Day, Memorial Day is well-known for its mattress sales. You may find even steeper discounts at retail stores seeking to free up space for new spring inventory than at a mattress retailer. A Memorial Day mattress sale can be the perfect way to use your tax refund. Kick off your summer with a new breathable mattress to keep you cool as the temperatures rise!
- Declare independence from sleepless nights thanks to 4th of July mattress sales. This is another great holiday weekend for discounts, including mattress sales. Since many manufacturers have refreshed their stock by July, you may find deals on state-of-the-art hybrid mattresses.
If you need a mattress as soon as possible, simply circle the next date with potential savings and get ready to shop sales.
The Best Time To Buy A Mattress: A Complete Buyers Guide
Do you know that there is the best time to buy a mattress? Are you wondering whether or not you will get the best discounts by waiting until Black Friday or Cyber Monday? What about holiday sales? Or would you instead buy your mattress at any time of the year?
Timing is essential to consider whenever youre planning a major purchase.
Although everyone cant wait for the best sale or shopping day, if you can, you should consider when is the best time to buy a mattress.
The time of year may not matter to you when buying a mattress. So, you could purchase one whenever. Although you can do so, you would be far better off taking some of the following advice into account.
If youre looking for a good-quality mattress, the price will depend on when and where you purchase it.
Also, you will find a notable difference in cost between buying a mattress online vs. picking one out in a brick-and-mortar store.
Additionally, you can save money by purchasing during annual sales, which often occur around federal holidays and significant shopping days such as Black Friday.
In light of that, you would be able to save quite a bit on beds if you knew when they go on sale.
Ill discuss everything you should know about the best time to buy a mattress in this post.
I want to explain some of the common issues associated with mattresses that need to be replaced.
Also Check: What Kind Of Mattress Works With Adjustable Base
What Month Should I Buy A Mattress
If youre purchasing your mattress online, chances are youre going to get some kind of discount on your new bed. That being said, some of the best times to check online for a new bed include the end of May, around Memorial Day weekend and Cyber Week, which starts on Black Friday after Thanksgiving and ends by Cyber Monday.
How To Tell When Your Mattress Needs Replacement
No mattress will last forever, no matter what some mattress brands may claim.
Although some models are more durable than others, the components of your mattress will begin to wear out at some point.
As a result, you may feel unsupported and uncomfortable, resulting in sleep problems and causing you to feel tired the next day.
You might want to contemplate buying a new mattress if your current bed exhibits any of the following:
You May Like: How Much Should A Full Size Mattress Cost
Target Early Spring & Late Winter
May is the best month to buy a mattress. The new batch of mattresses usually hits the markets around June. Youll see that from May the stores start running sales. Memorial Day also falls in the last week of this month. Hence, the sale season is extended even more.
The irresistible deals make this time of the year perfect for purchasing mattresses online or offline.
When Is The Best Time To Buy A Mattress
Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own. Here is a list ofour partnersandhere’s how we make money.
Theres a lot to consider when buying a mattress beginning with size, comfort and price.
Well leave size and comfort up to you, but we can help you sleep better by knowing that you got a good price. Here are some of the best times of the year to buy a mattress.
You May Like: How To Select A Mattress For Back Pain
Can You Negotiate Mattress Prices With Online Brands
Most likely not! Generally, e-commerce or online stores provide some of the most competitive prices and offer some of the best deals.
I hope you found this Buyers Guide helpful! Please share with your family, friends, and followers on social media.
You can also check out similar review guides from Momtherly below.
Best Mattress Deals For The Holiday Weekend
It’s a great time to get a good discount on a quality mattress
When you shop through retailer links on our site, we may earn affiliate commissions. 100% of the fees we collect are used to support our nonprofit mission.Learn more.
If you need a new mattress, you can find some decent discounts right now. Mattress sales happen almost constantly, so you should never pay full price no matter when youre buying. But discounts tend to get a bit better around a holiday. Oct. 11known as Indigenous Peoples Day, Columbus Day, or just the Holidayis just around the corner, and sales are already cropping up.Were keeping tabs on all the best offers from top brandsincluding Avocado, Beautyrest, and Sleep Numberthat have performed well in our tests.
For more information on mattresses, see CRs mattress buying guide. CR members can check out our mattress ratings to see how well more than 150 of them perform in our tests for supporting people of all sizes, whether you sleep on your side or your back.
Read on for the best deals you can find right now, listed in alphabetical order.
Get discounts, product recommendations, and buying advice from the shopping experts at CR. .
Don’t Miss: Are Natural Latex Mattresses Safe
How To Find The Best Mattress Sale
If youre short on time, dont worry. Keeping a few important things in mind will help you find a great price on a new bed.
- Some of the best sales take place year-round. Sure, there are certain times of the year when most models tend to go on sale. But, no matter what the calendar says, there are always discounts to be found. Many leading manufacturers offer continuous deals on their most popular modelsthis is especially true for online retailers.
- There are several factors to consider when shopping for a good deal. Namely, the materials and layers that make up the bed. The type of bed you plan to purchase will impact the discount you can find. Plus, the mattress type you select will determine how well it supports you. Further into this article, we outline how to find a mattress that fits your needs.
- You can often save the most money on mattresses during specific weekends. This article will highlight the five best shopping weekends of the year and what type of discounts you can expect to receive.
- Smart consumers know that it makes sense to take advantage of mattress sale prices. If theres no promotion happening, be patient one will likely run soon. And chances are, the savings will be worth the wait.
Where To Buy Your Mattress
Where should you buy a mattress? In a retail store, or online?
Both methods have their pros and cons.
- Brick and Mortar Stores Many people want to try their mattress before they buy it. In this case, youll need to make a visit to a mattress seller or a different retail store. Another benefit of the in-person retail experience is the potential to haggle over your mattress price. The biggest downside to traditional retail? Commercial space and retail staff are expensive. The only way for a retailer to cover these costs is to mark up mattresses. In addition, youll likely have to pay for deliverythat, or experiment with driving your new mattress down the freeway!
- Online Retailers Thanks to reduced overhead costs, an online mattress retailer can offer its products at a more affordable price. You wont be able to haggle, but you can take advantage of online sales, referral discounts, and Cyber Monday specials. Flexible return policies make it easy to return your mattress. For example, Casper considers the first 100 days after purchase as your sleep trial period. In addition, you can have your Casper mattress shipped straight to your dooroften for free.
Want to try your mattress in person before buying it online? Thats possible! You can stop by one of our 50 retail locations throughout the U.S. and try the mattress yourself before you buy it.
Its easier than ever to try your mattress in person and then take advantage of online buying.
Recommended Reading: Are Gel Foam Mattresses Safe
Look Out For Holiday Weekends
The Holidays are not only the time to be merry but also engage in some smart shopping that can help you save a penny.
The master of all sales, Black Friday is the time of the year where you have the chance to buy stuff at a substantially low price. However, be ready to fight the throng of shoppers that are there to get similar deals like you.
The last Monday of May, Memorial Day accounts for a huge sale day for brick & mortar stores and is one of the biggest sales of the year. This sale season is usually there to clear out the old products and make way for the new inventory.
4th of July
Enjoy your freedom from expensive mattresses as many sellers use this holiday to bring in big discounts.
Since this day falls just before the famous Black Friday, these sales make way for new products that allow you to purchase some really good mattresses at an affordable price.
Columbus Day is not too far from Labor Day and Black Friday and usually falls in the lull period of mattress retailers. A sale on this day can be a sweet deal for you as a customer.
Falling on the first Monday of September, Labor Day is a classic The Time of the Year timeline for retailers. Sales are advertised in advance and the discounted rates are there all throughout the long 3-day weekend.
New Years Day
You will find deals throughout the year but the holiday deals are exclusive.