Mattress Care And Warranty
Mattress companies will offer their consumers various warranties based on the materials used in their mattress, cost of manufacturing as well as overall mattress quality. There is no single best offer for a mattress warranty, and the warranty you get will be relative to the mattress you buy. Most companies provide consumers with a mattress care guide. Its highly important to read through these guides, so you can get a clear understanding of how best to care for your mattress. Your warranty can also be voided if you disregard certain steps in a mattress companys care guide.
Why Does My Mattress Break Down
There are a few factors that determine the average lifespan of a mattress. Some of them involve the environment that the mattress is used in, and some involve the actual users themselves. Below weve listed the primary causes of mattress deterioration. These are factors that can damage a mattress regardless of the mattress type.
The Best Mattress Topper For A Bad Back
If you suffer from mild back pain, mattress toppers are an easy and inexpensive way to reduce discomfort and improve your sleep quality.
They can help evenly distribute weight, align your spine, offer support to your back, allow your muscles to relax and alleviate tension.
It is a common myth that a firm material is the best option for back pain, as always used to be recommended.
Not any more, as new research in recent years has shown that medium to firm mattress toppers are much better at offering the correct amount of support. When 300 people tested firm or medium-firm mattresses for 90 days, the medium-firm group reported less back pain.
Medium-firm is recommended over a softer option as materials that are too soft wont provide enough support for your spine.
You will also need to consider the weight being put on the mattress topper. If you are on the heavy side, look for something more on the firm end of the scale. If you are lighter, look for something a little less firm.
Read Also: Mattress Firm Cancellation Policy
How To Make Your Tempurpedic Mattress Last Long
You want to avoid subjecting your mattress to abuse, such as jumping on it or exposing it to high heat. But according to Tempurpedic, all their mattresses are one-sided, so you dont have to rotate or flip yours as part of maintenance. Instead, wash the mattress cover regularly according to the label instructions.
You dont need to use mattress covers and pads or even electric blankets and heating pads with your Tempurpedic mattress. The emphasis is also necessary on avoiding exposing your mattress to moisture as this can damage the material. For accidental spills, immediately soak the liquid with towels and let the mattress air-dry.
Does A Firm Mattress Last Longer
Because softer mattresses contain more layers of foam, theyre known to sag a bit more than firmer, thinner beds. However, dont think just because youve chosen a soft mattress it wont last. Always choose a mattress with a highly durable support core this will deter sagging no matter how soft or firm the top layers are.
Recommended Reading: My Pillow Return Policy
How To Prolong Your Mattress’ Life
You’ve invested in a mattress, and you know what causes it to wear out quicker. Now learn some easy things you can do to extend the life of your mattress:
- Always use a mattress protector to guard against spills and dust.
- Rotate the mattress every 3 to 6 months, or as per the manufacturer’s guidelines. This can help ensure even wear.
- Clean your mattress.
- Use a supportive base – the floor isn’t supportive enough mattresses should ideally be on bases.
- Open your bedroom windows regularly. This will help promote better ventilation and reduce dust and moisture build-up.
- Remove all bedlinen, including your mattress protector, regularly so your mattress can get some fresh air.
- Try to keep pets off your mattress so you won’t have any claws or chewing accidents.
- Avoid letting children jump on the bed. It damages coils and other mattress parts.
What Is The Best Mattress For Back Pain
bestback painMattressmattressThe Top Online Beds For Side Sleepers
- Memory Foam Mattress For Side Sleepers â Layla Sleep.
- Best Hybrid Mattress For Side Sleepers â Nest Alexander.
- Great For Airflow & Back Pain â Purple Hybrid.
- Soft Foam Mattress For Shoulder Pain â Tuft & Needle Mint.
- Best Budget / Affordable Mattress â Nolah Original 10.
You May Like: Purple Mattress Payment Plan
Signs It’s Time To Replace Your Mattress
Mattresses don’t last forever, but how do you know when it’s time to replace yours?
Waking up with back pain? Yeah, it’s time…
Though every mattress has a different lifespan depending on the material, manufacturer and usage, the average lifespan of a mattress is about 10 years. Of course, you can continue sleeping on a mattress much longer than that , but sleeping on a worn-out mattress can have real consequences on your sleep quality and overall health.
If you find yourself wondering why you can’t fall asleep or why your back hurts so much when you wake up, it’s probably time for a new mattress.
Replacing An Old Mattress
Perhaps after reading this, youve realized its time for a new bed. The best mattress will come with a standard 10-year warranty and be made of supportive, high-quality bases, and durable, resilient foams. Additionally, you should try one that comes with a sleep trial because this will allow you to try out the bed for 30-90 nights and return it for a refund if you dont like it. Bottom line: your sleep quality should not suffer because your mattress quality is subpar.
You May Like: Can I Cancel My Mattress Firm Order
Why Is My Air Mattress Deflating But No Holes
Air mattresses deflate overnight because they are not being used properly. The main reason why an air mattress keeps deflating is the way it is being used. The result may seem to be the air mattress deflating no hole apparent because it is all down to temperature.
Are Gel Mattress Toppers Any Good
Gel infused memory foam is an ideal option for those who enjoy the comfort and support of memory foam but find the material hot and stifling.
The heat and lack of ventilation memory foam provides is generally the biggest complaint about the material.
However, in recent years, the development of gel infusion provides a much cooler product.
They are designed to regulate your body temperature and disperse heat away from you, creating a nice, cool environment.
Don’t Miss: How To Return My Pillow Mattress Topper
Purple Mattress Off Gassing
Purple is one of the fastest-growing companies of all time, originally started through a crowdfunding campaign. They use a variety of different materials in their mattresses, but for those worried about VOCs and off-gassing, its important to note that it uses polyurethane foam just like the Leesa.
Polyurethane foam off gasses quite heavily and because the Purple is transported in a box and plastic wrap, it might need slightly longer to off-gas than a mattress shipped whole in a container without any compressed wrapping. For this reason, make sure to remove the plastic wrapping quickly, let it expand, and then lean it up against a wall to off-gas for 24 hours before use. .
Shop The Purple Mattress
How To Help Your Mattress Last Longer
When you buy a new mattress no matter what type theres plenty you can do to make it last longer, including:
- Rotating the mattress to keep the surface even and supporting you well. Check out our guide to rotating a mattress. Some mattresses can also be flipped, but check first, as many are one-sided only.
- Cleaning and airing your mattress to keep it fresh. There are several easy ways to do this, which we cover in our feature on how to clean a mattress. You should also regularly wash your bedding to prevent sweat, dust mites and bacteria reaching your mattress. Its also a good idea to keep pets off your mattress, especially heavier dogs, as the weight, and accidental tears from claws can quickly wear down a mattress.
- Use a protector or pad to safeguard from spills, stains, sweat and germs. These can be easily removed and washed too. See our top picks in our guides to the best mattress protectors.
- Get a sturdy foundation, such as a traditional bed frame with equally spaced slats, a box spring or a platform. Check with the mattress manufacturers recommendations on the best foundation to buy.
- Dont jump on your mattress! As fun as this is, it can lead to faster wear and tear, especially on any springs.
You May Like: Dreamcloud Mattress Instructions
Choosing Where To Air It Out
Some bloggers have suggested that airing out your mattress outdoors can speed up the process and allow for greater gas release. However, there seems to be little evidence of this, and it will drastically increase the risk of damage from critters and animals.
Outside its likely that bugs will end up on the surface, even if youre airing it out on a balcony or outside of your condo. Instead, its wise to keep it inside at all times to prevent it from becoming tarnished.
The smartest way to air out your mattress is to lean it up against a wall near a range of windows so that only the smallest amount of the surface is touching the floor and wall. This position allows for greater ventilation and ensures that more of the gas is released. If you leave it lying down the gases from the bottom will be unable to escape.
How Often Should I Rotate Or Turn My Mattress
Your mattress should provide you with years of comfort and good support. To keep your mattress in great condition, we recommend that you rotate it at least once every three months. This means moving your mattress from the head of your bed to the foot – from top to bottom.
Rotating your mattress regularly is important, because it helps to keep the comfort fillings evenly distributed. It also means that you’ll use each side equally. It’s an easy way to improve its lifespan and it forms part of general mattress care.
Recommended Reading: How To Return My Pillow Mattress Topper
When Do You Know You Cannot Use Your Mattress
Usually, mattresses that are over seven years old do not provide the comfort and support you need on the bed. Once you see there are signs of the surface and support wearing out, or youre feeling uncomfortable in the bed when you are sleeping on it, you would be better off changing it. Some of the common visible signs of wearing are sagging, holes, and tearing. If you cannot get a full nights sleep and feel that youre having a better slumber elsewhere than your bed, you need to start looking for a replacement.
You might buy the most expensive mattress, but if you do not care for it properly, it might not even last ten years. On the other side, ones which are taken care of correctly are known to last more than 15 years.
How Do I Rotate My Mattress
Rotating a mattress is simple and straightforward. Whilst one person can do it, it’s easier with two.
Read Also: My Pillow Mattress Toppers
Signs Of Wear And Tear
In the final measure, mattress ratings or warranties don’t dictate a mattress’s lifespan nearly as effectively as your own subjective experience of sleeping on it. A mattress is an investment in your wellbeing, and there are several signs that your mattress is ready to be replaced:
- You are uncomfortable when you lie down and wake up tired and achy.
- You see visible signs of wear and tear on your mattress. There is sagging, or you notice lumps. You can hear the bed springs when you lie down.
- You’ve tried rotating it or flipping it but to no avail. It still doesn’t feel more comfortable.
- You suffer from allergies and have had the mattress for a long time. If you have not been using protective, allergy-reducing covers, dust mites could pose a problem. Even the cleanest beds can have dust mites. There are other ways of addressing the dust mite problem, but it helps to start with a clean, mite-free mattress.
- You are older than 40 and have been sleeping on the same sleep surface for around 10 years. The human body becomes more sensitive to pressure points with age. Pressure points can lead to tossing and turning and disturbed sleep, which can be bad for your overall wellbeing.
Buying a quality mattressone that carries a good warranty from a well-known manufactureris a very good investment. Not only will it last a long time, but it also will improve the quality of your sleep and your wellbeing. Great online mattress options are available.
How Long Should I Let My Mattress Expand
Most of the memory foam mattresses are not advisable to use within 24 hours after purchase or unboxing. You need to expect 24 to 48 hours for your mattress to expand to its full size and shape. It is to make sure you are covered by the warranty in case theres damage or defects.
But what if you did not follow the standard procedure and sleep on your new memory foam mattress right away? Well, theres nothing much to worry about if you choose to use your mattress right after taking it out of the box. When you sleep on your memory foam mattress before the 24-hour recommendation, it can help the foam expand faster.
It speeds up the expansion through body heat, which makes the foam mattress more pliable. As a result, you immediately enjoy a good nights sleep with your newly purchased memory foam mattress. So, if you cant wait 24 hours to sleep on your mattress, its perfectly safe to use it.
Recommended Reading: How To Return My Pillow Mattress Topper
How Can I Make My Memory Foam Mattress Expand Faster
Read the instructions before you remove the mattress from the packaging to avoid damage. After unpacking it, you will notice that the memory foam is not thick enough or appears smaller. Well, thats because its not yet expanded to the original size due to packaging reasons.
Dont worry. There are fascinating tricks you can do to help your new memory foam mattress expand faster. Whether youre having issues with uneven corners and center, or the whole memory foam is not as thick as the original look displayed in the advertisement, here are some helpful tips to make sure you get a comfortable mattress that is worth your money:
- Spread the mattress across the floor, make sure it is completely unrolled.
- Room temperature must be 20 degrees Celsius or higher.
- Roll on the mattress slowly to even it out for at least 10 minutes.
- Use it for one week and see if it expands.
- If nothing happens after performing all these steps, you can return your mattress and ask for a refund or replacement.
How Long Does A Mattress Last For
Mattresses have been known to have a long lifespan in order to ensure its consistent use before they need to be replaced. Some mattresses may need replacing than some, due to durability. If the quality of the Mattresses material is material is high, then it should be able to least seven to ten years.
Also Check: Vacuflat Queen Mattress Bag
How To Get Blood Stains Out Of A Mattress
To get blood stains out of your mattress, first dab at the stain with a little cold water. Be careful not to soak the mattress and don’t rub the stain as this could spread the blood further.
You might find this technique surprisingly effective, especially if the stain is recent, but if not, try adding a little baking soda to the water. Apply to the stain, leave it for 30 minutes, and then dab with clean water and leave to dry.
If the stain is still there after the mattress has dried, try following the steps below for removing urine, as these will also work for blood.
Make Your Mattress Last Longer
Here are a few easy things you can do so your mattress lasts longer. Take a look at these easy tricks that you may, or may not already be doing which will ensure you are giving your mattress the best opportunity to perform on a high level, and for an extended period.
- Use a mattress protector, especially if you have kids. Preventing liquid from penetrating the inner layers of the mattress will keep it clean and prevent rapid degradation of the materials.
- Wash your sheets frequently. They serve as a barrier which protects the mattress from dead skin cells and spills.
- Dont eat in bed. I know you think you can be careful but dont test it. It can be very difficult to get food completely out of the material on your mattress.
- Dont let your pets sleep in your bed. Instead, get them their own. There are many reasons why pets shouldnt be allowed in your bed. An example is that pets can drool and shed which only adds to the breakdown of materials while simultaneously creating an odor that is near impossible to get rid of.
- Clean and deodorize it.Sprinkle baking soda on the surface of your mattress occasionally, let it sit for about 30 minutes to an hour, and then air out or vacuum it up. The baking soda will naturally extract and absorb and moisture from within and leave it smelling fresh.
Also Check: What To Do With Purple Mattress Bag