Do You Buy In Store Or Online
You’re probably familiar with regular ol’ in-store mattress shopping — the process of laying on beds one by one until you find a good match. But how do you buy a mattress online? It’s just the same as buying anything else online, shipped direct-to-consumer and rolled up inside a cardboard box. Each has their own benefits and setbacks.
If you shop in store, you get the benefit of hand-testing the beds yourself before you buy. Also, master hagglers might be able to talk a mattress salesperson down on the price of a new bed.
On the other hand, online brands know you’re taking a risk by purchasing a bed over the internet so they sweeten the deal with additional perks such as free shipping, free returns, a lengthy free trial policy and a solid warranty to back your bed. It will be shipped directly to your door, either inside a box or hand-delivered via white glove delivery, taking the hassle out of transportation and additional costs.
Regardless of how you choose to buy your new bed, you shouldalways read mattress reviews. Both from experts and from customers who’ve tried the bed before. They will give you insight on how your prospective new bed will be to your average consumer, and speak the truth on any claims that might just be mattress marketing mumbo jumbo.
Is Thicker Always Better
Mattresses with at least 10 inches of thickness are good for support and durability. The best mattress for side sleepers with back pain should be 12 to 14 inches of thickness to be able to provide proper support and comfort. Back sleepers get all the support needed from a 10 to 12 inch mattress with a medium to firm feel. 10 inch mattresses can be used for stomach sleepers to prevent sinkage and offer enough support for their abdomen.
What Are The Best Mattress Types
Each of the five main mattress types offers distinct benefits and disadvantages. The best mattress type for you depends entirely on which mattress qualities matter most to you. If you’re a hot sleeper, for example, then you should seek out a bed with breathable, temperature-regulating components. Those with back pain may need a conforming and pressure-relieving mattress instead.
Since the early 20th century, innersprings have dominated the mattress market. These models still represent the greatest percentage of annual mattress sales in the U.S. Memory foam mattresses that contained high-density foam bases and no springs first appeared in the 1980s airbeds with adjustable air chambers were introduced around the same time.
Over the past decade, online “bed-in-a-box” mattress brands have reshaped how mattresses are bought and sold. These brands represent a more affordable alternative to shopping in a brick-and-mortar mattress store. You can also choose from a wide range of individual bed-in-a-box models that fall into one of the following five categories.
Recommended Reading: What To Do With Purple Mattress Bag
Type 3 Innerspring Helps With Spinal Alignment
Innerspring orthopedic mattresses usually have a thin comfort layer of foam or cotton on top of a dense layer of metal coils. While some people appreciate the coil’s springiness, freedom of movement, breathability, and edge support, others may find innerspring versions to be lacking in contouring and cushioning.
An innerspring model may be suitable if your discomfort is caused by poor spinal alignment due to excessive sinking in your mattress. If pressure points are your primary concern, you may want to consider a different style of mattress or a mattress topper like this, with your innerspring model to help soften it.
An innerspring mattress has a bounciness to it that prevents sinking into the mattress but that offers less contouring. Image Source: .
Mattress Qualities To Consider
Five material types make up the bulk of mattresses on the market. These include:
|1 adult with multiple pets or children, 2 adults with multiple pets or children|
Mattress firmness preferences are often tied to two factors: sleep position and sleeper weight. Those who sleep on their side typically prefer softer mattresses, while back and stomach sleepers tend to feel most comfortable on medium firm or firmer mattresses. In terms of weight, lighter individuals may require softer mattresses in order to experience more conforming and pressure relief heavier individuals , on the other hand, often need firmer mattresses to prevent excessive sinkage. For couples with contrasting firmness preferences, a dual-firmness mattress with different firmness settings on each side may be the most suitable option.
Most mattresses measure at least 10 inches in height, though mattress thickness varies from less than five inches to more than 15 inches . Your body weight may affect your preferred thickness. Lighter individuals may prefer shorter beds, whereas heavier people tend to feel more comfortable on thicker beds.
You May Like: How Long Before I Can Sleep On My Dreamcloud Mattress
How Does Your Sleep Style Affect Your Mattress Choice
Sleeping position whether its on your back, front, side, or combined is another key factor to consider when choosing a mattress. Heres a quick guide to which type of mattresses work better for each position:
- Back sleepers A medium-firmness helps align the spine. If you sleep on your back you may put pressure on your spine all night, so its important to support it well. Hybrid mattresses offer balanced support with layers of coils and foam and are perfect for those who sleep face up.
- Side sleepers You need more support at the shoulders and hips, plus plenty of pressure relief. A medium-soft mattress that contours to your body is a good option and memory foam is especially comfy here.
- Stomach sleepers Sleeping on your front can often push your spine out of alignment, so you will need a mattress that keeps your hips level with your shoulders. So choose a firmer mattress, such as an innerspring or hybrid with a supportive base.
- Combination sleepers A medium-firm offering is ideal if you tend to shift position as you sleep. And because combo sleepers need to be able to move around easily, a buoyant latex or hybrid mattress will help you change position, while also keeping the motion transfer to a minimum, which is good if you share a bed.
Pick Your Preferred Mattress Materials And Firmness Level
As this guide has already established, there are tons of mattress brands on the market. But there are also a lot of different materials to filter through, some firmer than others. So, how do you begin to choose a mattress that will fit your specific sleep style? Consider these three factors before hitting the order button.
Also Check: What To Do With Purple Mattress Bag
Set Out Your Budget Before You Buy A Mattress
Comfort is invaluable and we need to understand the fact that if a mattress is expensive, it is not necessarily comfortable and suitable for all body types.It is advisable to first set out the budget before you leave home to buy a mattress .Many would tell you how relatively cheaper mattresses gave them a much better experience.
Best Latex Mattress: Dunlopillo Royal Sovereign
Price: From £1400 | Buy now from MattressOnline
One notable property of latex, when used in mattresses, is its buoyancy. Compared with memory foam, latex mattresses recover their shape quicker when you get up or move to a different part of the mattress.
The Dunlopillo Royal Sovereign is a comfortable and supportive mattress that will suit all types of sleepers, though we , thanks to its postural support. At £2,319 for a double, its not cheap, though theres a good chance youll find it discounted. Its also worth noting that its very heavy, so rotating it is probably a two-person job.
These combos are mix-and-match versions of the mattress types. For example, pocket-sprung core with a foam top layer .
Also Check: Do New Mattresses Soften Up
Tip 4 Bedroom Dimensions
When placing a bed in a room you should allow at least 24 inches of space on either side of your bed for easy movement around the bed and to avoid feeling cramped.
Before you buy a new bed, first measure the size of your room and then determine which mattress size will fit into it comfortably. Read our article on choosing the best mattress size for a platform bed for handy tips to ensure your bed frame and mattress size are compatible.
Twin Size Orthopedic Mattress
This is the smallest of the standard sizes and one of the most popular. The twin-size mattress is suitable for both children and teenagers since it accommodates youngsters at various stages of development.
The dimensions of a twin-size orthopedic mattress are 38 inches by 75 inches. The minimum recommended room size for a twin size mattress is 7 feet by 10 feet
A twin orthopedic mattress is a wonderful size for tiny rooms, and it’s also great for bunk beds like this Perfect Cloud Kids Plush. An adult, on the other hand, may not be able to sleep on a twin or single mattress since it is so narrow and hence it is difficult to roll around.
Also Check: Vacuflat Mattress Bag Near Me
Learn About How Mattress Warranties Returns And Refunds Work
Mattress warranties arent the same for each mattress manufacturer, but it is an important selling point that every new mattress owner must consider before finalizing the purchase.
When you read the fine print or talk to a sales associate, these are the things you want to look out for:
- What does the warranty cover?
- What does it not cover?
- What constitutes the warranty being void?
- How long does the prorated coverage last?
- When does the non-prorated coverage kick in?
- Can I still get a refund after a certain period of time?
- If refunds arent allowed, can I exchange it for another mattress?
- How long before I can return the mattress?
- What happens to the mattress if I cant return it?
When Should I Change My Mattress
After a certain amount of time usually around eight years its worth thinking about changing your mattress. This is because the materials inside will eventually lose their firmness and wont provide the same level of support as they once did.
If you are having issues sleeping through the night or waking up with an aching back, it may be worth checking whether your bed needs replacing.
Typically, this should only be done every 10-15 years, so before making any changes speak to family members to see if someone else in your household might benefit from a new bed too!
You May Like: Purple Mattress Payments
Choose Your Ideal Type And Material
Ok, so this is where most people will go with their personal preference rather than anything else. If someone says latex is the best, I would not take this as final until I read other opinions and test it myself.
Want to know more? Head over to our complete mattress types guide.
And here are the most common options on the market these days:
Pressure Relief And Body Contouring
Generally speaking, foam mattresses provide the best pressure relief and body contouring.
If you desire pain relief at key pressure points, look for a mattress that gently conforms to your body when you lie down. This allows for your hips and shoulders to sink in slightly.
A memory foam mattress offers the most pressure relief, but hybrids with foam layers may also work well.
Read Also: Purple Mattress In A Bag
Sleeper And Body Type Matters
Other factors you should be taking into consideration when finding the perfect mattress is body and sleeper type. The best mattress for side sleepers are usually the ones with a softer profile, because side sleepers typically require pressure relieving beds that conform to the side of their body.
The best mattress for stomach sleepers tends to look the same as the best mattress for back sleepers firm with a supportive profile. Firm beds promote a straight alignment in your spine, and prevent your lower back from sagging into the mattress. Back sleepers and stomach sleepers should opt for a bed in the medium to firm range .
The best mattress for combo sleepers are beds that land in the middle of the scale, because they offer enough pressure relief when theyre on their side, and decent support when theyre on their back .
How Does Your Body Affect Your Mattress Choice
How firm you find a mattress depends on a host of individual factors, such as your weight, height, age, and health. You can use the following guidance as a general rule for deciding which firmness might be right for you, but also remember that a good mattress will come with a decent risk-free trial period, so you can find out for yourself whether its a good fit for you.
- If you weigh less than 150lbs Lighter body weights usually feel more comfortable on softer to medium mattresses with a plush top to cushion pressure points. If yours is too firm, it can throw your spine out of alignment and cause backache. However, adding a plush layer in the form of a good mattress topper is an easy fix. A snug, all-foam model is a good choice for lighter weight sleepers.
- If you weigh between 150-200lbs Medium-feel mattresses are a good all-rounder here. Make sure there is a robust foundation layer and enough cushioning to support you in all sleeping positions. People in this weight bracket can pretty much take their pick of mattresses, as long as it offers equal layers of comfort and support.
- If you weigh over 200lbs If you are heavier in weight, then you will find that a firmer mattress will give you the proper support to keep your spine aligned. An innerspring model with a cushioning layer of foam will help you sleep more soundly without sinking in too far.
Read Also: Can You Finance A Purple Mattress
Making A Major Investment
For all those questions about how to pick the right mattress, you can put your mind at ease by doing some simple steps before you buy. Never go straight to the lowest price set, rather, but look for the best value. You spend more than one-third of your life in bed, so this significant investment is imperative for your comfort and overall well-being.
- Gel Pearl Memory Foam Top Layer Cools You Down As You Heat Up
- Plush, Medium, And Firm Options With Customized Comfort Middle Layer
When Should You Change Your Mattress
Nowadays, mattresses are being designed so that they last for many years. Nevertheless, you should probably plan to keep yours for a shorter period. Think of it this way, your body is constantly changing over time. Hence, that mattress that you enjoyed sleeping in at one point may feel very uncomfortable after a few years. Sometimes, minor adjustments can be made by adding a mattress topper, but you have to choose carefully.
Besides, mattresses are known for collecting fungus, germs and dust mites that can worsen allergies and affect your healthy sleep patterns. Aim for at least ten years and then start thinking of getting a brand new bed.
Finally, the experts note that the right bed and mattress is one that you feel most comfortable in when sleeping. Remember that there is no mattress that will save your body from pain when you only get a few hours of rest per night. If you want to feel and function at your best, it is vital to get sufficient rest, regardless of which mattress you are sleeping on at the moment.
If you are serious about changing your mattress today, have a look at our updated Best Mattress Guide, which will help you find the ideal solution.
You May Like: Can I Cancel My Mattress Firm Order
The Top 5 Mattresses Online
* Level of Firmness. What we mean here is how hard or soft a bed you prefer. Perhaps you like a pillow soft bed, or you may like a medium to a very firm mattress. This feeling may be subjective, and it can be affected by many things, including body weight and sleep position. For example, a back sleeper needs more firmness. The firmness you like dictates how comfortable you are lying on the bedding.
* Support. How much support do you want with your new mattress? Good support means proper spinal alignment as you sleep to reduce or eliminate pain in pressure points like the back and hips. Imagine rising from bed in the morning without aches and pains!
* Size. Think about your current size of the bed and what youd like to advance to. Perhaps its going from a Queen to a King. If you have a partner, a King size can provide more room to sprawl out while still giving you intimate time.
* Gel. A gel layer is a relatively new feature. Gel integration can improve mattress breathability, thus keeping the body from becoming too hot during the night and disturbing your sleep. A cooler bed can result in uninterrupted slumber through the night.
* Budget. Determine how much you are comfortable spending on a new bed before you start shopping. A more expensive mattress is not necessarily a better one price does not always dictate a better model, as we explain in our mattress reviews. Many choices are available with a budget of around $1,000.
What Are The Pros And Cons Of Memory Foam Mattresses
People have fallen in love with memory foam mattresses primarily because theyre affordable and conformable. The material yields to a sleepers body within seconds, supporting all the bodys curves and providing excellent amounts of comfort. Most shoppers can afford a memory foam mattress, with the average queen size memory foam mattress costing around $1000.
What keeps many people from sleeping on a memory foam mattress is heat retention. Traditional memory foam was a dense material, absorbing heat faster than it releases it. However, many mattress manufacturers have added heat-wicking materials like graphite and copper to increase heat dispersion. At Amerisleep, we made a more breathable material by substituting select ingredients with plant-based alternatives.
You May Like: Dreamcloud Mattress Unboxing