Mattress Buying Guide For People With Hip Pain
Hip pain can be frustrating and uncomfortable to live with, especially when youre trying to get comfortable enough to get restful and restorative sleep at night. Sleeping on the wrong mattress can exacerbate these issues, so its key that you know what to look for in a mattress to support your body and help relieve hip pain.
In this buyers guide well go over:
Keep reading to learn more.
What Is The Best Mattress For Someone Who Is Bedridden
The following is a list of the finest hospital bed mattresses.
- Invacare Solace Prevention Therapeutic Foam Mattress.
- Drive Medical therapeutic 5 zone support mattress. General Patient and ICU/CCU Hospital Bed Memory Foam Mattress
- Medacure Pressure Redistribution Foam Hospital Bed Mattress
- Medacure Pressure Redistribution Foam Hospital Bed Mattress.
How Will I Know If My Mattress Is Contributing To My Hip Pain
Your mattress may be contributing to your hip discomfort if you feel stiff and achy in the mornings or wake up during the night in pain. You may notice that you sleep better when away from home or in a different bed. If your hip pain begins after the purchase of a new mattress, it may be due to pressure from excessively firm materials or poor spinal alignment.
You May Like: How To Return My Pillow Mattress Topper
Why You Should Trust Us
At Sleep Foundation, we understand the importance of choosing the right mattress especially when it comes to back pain. Thats why weve personally tested hundreds of mattress models to bring you the top picks listed above. Our expert team includes product testers that cover a wide range of body types, sleep positions, and comfort preferences. After thorough hands-on testing, we consider these selections to be the best of the bunch.
To evaluate mattresses for back pain relief, we ask our testers to lie down on each mattress. Ideally, a mattress should contour to the body while maintaining even support, so well measure how deeply the mattress sinks beneath the testers weight. We also use body-mapping sensors to pinpoint locations where painful pressure points are likely to occur. Although we relied on feedback from all of our testers, we focused on those who have a history of upper and/or lower back pain.
The Best Mattress For Hip Pain
While there may not be a single best mattress for sore hips and hip pain, there is a mattress out there thats the best for you. Weve done our best to provide you with a varied list of options in different categories to help you narrow it down to the brands you are most interested in. You may need to do more of your own research, but our recommendations will get you started in the right direction.
Here are our top picks for the best mattress for sore hip pain sufferers:
You May Like: Drury Hotel Mattress
Best Mattress For Hip Pain
- Endorsed by the American Chiropractic Association
- 100-night sleep trial period
- Good for people with joint pain and soreness
- Best for heavier people and side sleepers
- Check Price
We named the Casper Wave Hybrid mattress the best memory foam mattress for hip pain because of its excellent performance in contouring to your areas of pressure. Its zoned support system provides even weight distribution that relieves shoulder pressure while supporting hip joints. The Casper Wave Hybrid also keeps your spine properly aligned and responds to your movements seamlessly throughout the night.
The Casper Wave Hybrid has five unique layers of support, all of which target pressure points in sensitive areas, such as the shoulders and hips. Specifically, the combination of the pressure-relieving layer and targeted gel pods work together to provide proper spinal alignment and prevent sagging in the center. This is especially important for side sleepers who experience hip pain, because your hips will not sink into the mattress and cause pain in the hip joints.
Latex and pocket coils pair perfectly in the Nest Hybrid to bring optimal pressure relief and spine alignment. Unlike traditional foam and spring mattresses, the combination of latex and pocket coils provides instant responsiveness to conform to your body seamlessly throughout the night.
How Does Hip Pain Affect Sleep
Pain and sleep are strongly linked in a cycle that can hurt your sleep quality. Experiencing hip pain at night can interrupt your sleep by causing you to wake up writhing in pain, or it can make it annoyingly difficult to fall asleep at all. According to The Sleep Doctor, back and hip pain and sleep loss often go hand in hand. Your back is tied to every part of your body so when youre dealing with lingering pain or injury it tends to impact everything you do. Hip pain is a common complaint thats caused by many factors, so use this list below to help you determine what the root of your discomfort is.
Also Check: Do You Use A Mattress Pad With A Purple Mattress
Do Doctors Recommend Adjustable Beds
The use of an adjustable bed to sleep with the legs elevated above the level of the heart is recommended by many doctors for patients suffering from edema. Over 350 million individuals throughout the world suffer from some degree of arthritic pain. When utilizing an adjustable bed, those who suffer from arthritis might find brief respite from their symptoms.
Best Mattress Toppers For Bad Back And Hips
Are you looking for the best mattress toppers for bad back and hips? At one time like yourself, I was in the same position. My wife had to endure surgery to her iliac crest bone, which was then grafted her neck.
She was in a lot of pain and having a hard time falling asleep. Our mattress at the time was not right. It was hard and too firm for her to get a full nights sleep. Initially, she started out using a good recliner of course, we knew that she was eventually going to have to make a move to using the bed.
Now, this was about 13 years ago at that time, toppers werent as well known as they are now. We spoke with her doctor, and he suggested using a memory foam mattress topper.
We had access to The Brick, which is where we purchased an excellent mattress topper for her. Over the years, we have continued to improve our mattress topper purchases. Most are now done online.
Don’t Miss: My Pillow Topper Lawsuit
What Kind Of Bed Will Medicare Pay For
Adjustable beds, especially hospital beds, that are recommended by a physician are considered durable medical equipment by Medicare. As a result, it will reimburse the cost of the bed as long as a doctor certifies that the individual need the bed for personal use at home. However, there are several types of adjustable beds, and Medicare does not cover all of them at the same time.
What Makes The Ghostbed Flex Stand Out
- It has a very breathable construction that allows air to flow through the mattress and helps prevent your body heat from becoming trapped.
- It does a good job of isolating motions, so it should be a good fit for couples sharing the bed.
- The layers of foam work together to create a comfortable sleep surface.
Read our full GhostBed Flex review.
The Helix mattresses are a fantastic choice for those shoppers who just cant make up their minds. Customers take a sleep quiz, after which the brand customizes a hybrid mattress based on those answers. People can also select from their line of mattresses, with the medium-firm Helix Midnight being the most popular. And as far as back pain goes, the Luxe version of the bed could be a great choice. Featuring soft foam layers over supportive coils, it has a great balance of comfort and support for back sleepers.
Don’t Miss: How Long Does A Dreamcloud Mattress Last
How To Tell If You Need A New Mattress
Sometimes, a worn out mattress is a large contributor to hip pain and other types of pain. After years of use, mattresses will develop permanent impressions in the foam, sagging in the coils, and other signs of wear that can significantly diminish the amount of support a mattress provides. If you experience any of the following signs in addition to your hip pain, its likely time for a new bed:
- You notice impressions, lumps, sagging, rips and tears, or other signs of wear in your bed
- You tend to roll to the center of the mattress while sleeping
- You find the couch or other places to sleep more comfortable than your own bed.
- Its been more than seven years since youve purchased a new mattress
- You cant remember the last time you purchases a new mattress.
The average mattress lasts from 6-8 years, but mattress lifespan varies depending on the quality and materials its made of. Cheap memory foam and innerspring mattresses can last as little as four years, while higher-quality hybrid and latex models can last as many as nine or ten.
Whether your hip pain is a direct result of your mattress or not, an old mattress isnt helping. Most online mattress companies offer sleep trials, which allow you to try the mattress for at least 100 days before committing it. We recommend making use of this to help ease your hip pain.
Mattress Qualities To Look For When You Have Hip Pain
Everyones pain is different. Im not being profound here I mean everyones body is different, so both the source of hip pain and the way hip pain feels will be different for everyone. Here are some prime considerations that are rather similar across the board that you should search for in a mattress if you have hip pain.
Also Check: Mypillow Return
How Does Mattress Construction Affect Hip Pain
The materials and design of a mattress play a big role in how your body will feel after sleeping on it. Sleep experts say firmer mattresses to help with and prevent back pains. Hybrid mattresses tend to provide more support for longer. Foam mattresses have the lowest motion transfer and can provide more pressure relief. With sensitive injuries, light sleepers and people who feel too much pressure from hybrid mattresses, a good foam mattress can provide a reprieve.
Here is how the materials stack up:
Hip Pain: Common Symptoms And Causes
The hip is one of the most important joints in the body, and one of the most common sources of pain. Hip pain impacts more than 22 million Americans, including 14.3% of adults aged 60 and over. Pain in the hip is often described as stabbing, shooting, achy, tight, or stiff. Pain may also radiate to other parts of the body such as the knee and back. Hip pain is considered chronic when it persists for longer than 3-6 months.
Recommended Reading: How To Store A Purple Mattress
Best Mattress For Hip And Back Pain
Best Mattress For Hip And Back Pain
Considering a mattress that causes you even a slight weight can influence your joints . This more often than not occurs when you pick the wrong immovability for your dozing position, winding up with the throb in your hips, shoulders, knees, or neck. At the point when it comes to hip attachments, they are in danger of pain and inconvenience when the mattress gives the wrong help . This is the reason it’s imperative to pick the perfect surface for your dozing position . Individuals who experience the ill effects of hip pain ought to be extremely cautious when they pick their new bed.This issue is generally more typical for seniors that endures distress caused by a crack, weak stance , illness, and so on. Our guide’s fundamental spotlight will be on best mattresses obviously for a hip pain and how you can pick the correct one. We’ll go inside and out about conceivable mattress issues that reason inconvenience or pain in your hips, which one is the best for your resting position and obviously, we have arranged short surveys.
What Kind Of Mattress Is Best For Lower Back Pain
Back pain is one of the most common conditions for stomach sleepers, as the weight in our abdomens can sink down and create a curve in our lower backs. The Cleveland Clinic actually dubs stomach sleeping the worst position , since it can also distort your neck, and recommends sleeping on your back to promote better alignment and even weight distribution.
That said, sleepers of all types can suffer from lower back pain, and if youre one of them, look for a mattress with ample support to keep your spine in check. Firmer mattresses, such as those made of latex and memory foam, would be much better for the lower back because it will conform to the body much better and will allow much more support to your spine, says Dr. Malayil. We love the Solaire Adjustable Mattress from Saatva, which is made with both Talalay latex and gel-infused memory foam, and comes with a remote control to choose from 50 firmness settings for a truly customized feel.
Recommended Reading: How Much Is My Pillow Mattress Topper
Best Type Of Mattress For Back Pain
So how can you find the best type of mattress to alleviate your back pain? Certain mattresses are better-suited for people with back pain than others.
- Innerspring mattresses are not ideal for back pain sufferers since theyre made with mostly coils. This type of construction makes for a more firm and bouncy bed, rather that one thats contouring and relieves pressure. Outfitting an innerspring mattress with a foam or latex mattress topper to provide a soft, cushiony layer can help.
- Memory foam mattresses are great for sleepers with back pain. The material does a nice job of evenly distributing body weight across the surface to prevent pain in the pressure points, especially for side sleepers.
- Hybrid mattresses are ideal for people with back pain. Combining a supportive coil layer with a contouring comfort layer on top gives a nice balance that back pain sufferers need.
- Latex mattresses have nice contouring abilities without causing too much sinkage, making them a good match for people with back pain.
What Increases The Chances Of Experiencing Back Pain
There are also a plethora of factors that could make it more likely for someone to develop back pain.
- Age: As we grow older, we have a significantly higher chance of dealing with back pain aging can cause degeneration of spinal discs so they arent as effective at absorbing shock. Its also possible to develop Spondylolisthesis, where one vertebra moves into another vertebra.
- Lack of exercise: If we dont exercise, our bodies can become susceptible to back pain. Also, if our back muscles are weak, the back pain can potentially become more severe. Many studies have shown that exercise can help alleviate back pain. In fact, one 2012 study from Informed Health Online found that exercise can prevent a recurrence of acute back pain in 1 out of 3 people.
- High body weight: For those that are overweight, back pain becomes more likely. One 2016 study, which was published in the journal Medicine, found that higher BMI and waist-hip ratio were associated with high-intensity low back pain and/or high disability.
- Depression and/or anxiety: According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, people with these disorders are more likely to struggle with back pain than people who dont experience anxiety and/or depression.
- Smoking: The Mayo Clinic states that smoking cigarettes cuts down on blood flow to the lower back area and reduces the nutrients that are delivered to the spine. For those with acute back pain, nicotine can slow the healing process.
You May Like: Purple Mattress Bag
Bedstory 12 Inch Full Mattress Luxury Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress
With hundreds of pocketed springs Bedstory 12 inch Full Mattress offers firm and durable support to your body while minimizing motion transfer from the person sleeping along with you. The top layer is 3D breathable fabric the provides optimum comfort to your skin, is hypoallergenic, anti-mite, disperses body heat and prevents sweating. It is one of the best mattress for back pain, bad back relief.
This mattress is a combination of pocketed coil spring and memory foam to the whole family a good nights sleep. This also reduces the pressure on the body pressure points making it comfortable for any sleeping position be it on a side or back.
The price is CDN$ 340.00
Twin Mattress Inofia 8 inch Spring Mattress is a budget- friendly mattress having good quality hypoallergenic 3D knitted dual cover on the top promotes air-flow and support making it breathable and giving much- needed comfort. The foam layers give rise to cushioning, alleviate painful pressure points on the body and act as protective buffers. Many suffering from back and neck pains also find relief after having slept on such a mattress. It is one of the best mattress for back pain, bad back relief.
The price is CDN$ 169.00
Product Dimensions: 203.2 x 99.1 x 33 cm
Shipping Weight: 14 Kg
The price is CDN$ 326.99
- Make 8inch memory foam and innerspring hybrid
- Warranty 10 years manufacturers warranty