Who Should Choose A Memory Foam Mattress
Okay, lets get down to it. Its time to make a choice. Who should pick a memory foam mattress?
- Those who prefer to sleep in their mattress- Memory foam allows you to really sink into the mattress. If you like to slowly sink into your mattress and feel it envelop you, a pure memory foam mattress could be the way to go. Overall, you should feel more like you are sleeping in your mattress rather than on it.
- You are a side sleeper- Memory foam is usually superior when it comes to pressure relief. If you are primarily a side sleeper, a memory foam mattress could be a great choice. While lying on your side, you should feel the pressure on your shoulders and hips melt away. Just make sure to find a mattress with a thick enough comfort layer. You dont want to be bottoming out!
- You want to save money up front- If you choose to go with a memory foam mattress, you will most likely spend less money. For those with a smaller mattress budget, a memory foam mattress could be a solid choice.
- You sleep with a partner- If youre looking for a couples mattress, memory foam is always a good option. This material is great at isolating motion in the mattress, so if you or your partner move around at night, you shouldnt disturb one another.
Do you think a memory foam mattress is the best option for you? Check out our favorite memory foam mattress below:
They Provide Great Edge Support
First of all: What is edge support?
Edge support refers to structural integrity along the perimeter of a mattress. Unfortunately, foam mattresses are often lacking in this department.
Hybrid mattresses, on the other hand, offer excellent edge support thanks to the structural spring system. They are supportive all the way out to the edges, increasing the overall surface area of where you can actually sleep comfortably.
The Drawbacks Of Hybrid Mattresses
Hybrid mattresses have a lot to offer, but there are some drawbacks as well. These are something to consider if you think a hybrid mattress is better for you:
- They have a higher price tag- While not all hybrid mattresses cost more than memory foam mattresses, this is usually the case. Because of this, a hybrid mattress might not be in everyones budget.
- They arent the best with motion transfer- Even if a hybrid mattress features a very soft comfort layer, it probably wont cut down on motion transfer as well as an all-foam mattress. If your partner moves around on the other side of the mattress, you could feel it more on a hybrid mattress.
- They are heavier and more cumbersome- In general, hybrid mattresses will weigh more than a pure memory foam mattress. Because of this, it might be more difficult to move the mattress. This might only be an issue when you are moving to a new house or apartment, but it is worth noting. Wondering how to move a mattress? Read our full written article.
You May Like: Vacuflat Mattress Bag (king Size)
Pros And Cons Of An Innerspring Mattress
The coil layer makes innerspring beds cooler, but they transfer motion causing sleep disruptions.
- Innerspring coils promote airflow and cool the mattress
- Value optionavailable in a vast range of prices
- Most coils transfer motion causing sleep disruptions
- Thin comfort layer cant conform to the natural curvature of your spine
- Coil tension may decrease causing mattress sagging
Pain Relief & Physical Alignment
If back pain creeps up on you overnight and causes you to wake up sore, the culprit might be your mattress. A hybrid design might be your solution.
Hybrid mattresses are more than comfortablethey also support your spinal alignment depending on your sleeping position. While foam layers add instant pressure relief, innerspring layers offer just enough firmness to lift the body. The combined softness and support of hybrid mattresses works particularly well for:
- Side sleeping
- Overall spinal alignment
You May Like: Mr Pillow Topper
Whats The Difference Between Hybrid Mattresses And All
If youre relatively new to the mattress industryno judgement!the difference between a memory foam mattress and a hybrid mattress might not be readily evident. All-foam mattresses are made of several foam layers that contour to your body. These mattresses usually have at least three layers:
- A top comfort layer that offers plush protection for delicate pressure points like the shoulders and hips
- A transition layer thats a bit firmer than the comfort layer and supports larger bodies this layer keeps
- A support layer, or base layer, is made of the highest density foam in the mattress enhances durability and keeps the bed from sagging over time
In a hybrid bed, usually a foam hybrid, the support layer of an all-foam bed is essentially replaced by a layer of coils, also known as innersprings. Though there are several different types of innerspring designs on the market today, they all have a few things in common: innerspring beds are easier to move around in than all-foam mattresses because they create a more responsive feel. Still, theyre not quite as good as all-foam mattresses at motion isolation. A must for couples, mattresses that reduce motion transfer allow a sleeper to remain undisturbed while a partner tosses and turns at night.
Gel Memory Foam Vs Hybrid Mattress
Gel is a pretty modern mattress material. Its used as a standalone layer as well as in combination with foam. Gel is a polymer formed by combining plastics and other chemicals, similar to foam. Gel is usually contained in the top layer of the mattress under the cover because of its heat-diffusing properties.
A hybrid mattress can have gel in it, but it also has foam and springs for better support.
You May Like: How Long Do Casper Mattresses Take To Inflate
Tuft & Needle Hybrid Mattress
Tuft and Needles hybrid mattress is a durable, cooling option that is built to suit a wide range of sleepers. Its an innovative bed that gives you exactly what you want in a hybrid with the combination of foam, coils and is finished off with a pillow top.
Anyone looking for the best mattress for sex will want a mattress with a good response time, ease of movement, and cooling comfort. The Tuft & Needle Hybrid offers all of those things.
After testing it in our sleep lab, we found it to offer great circulation thanks to its breathable foams and innerspring coils. The mattresss construction provides for a bouncy surface and excellent durability, too. And the top pillow top layer is infused with conductive graphite and carbon fibers to keep you cool and provide added durability.
Springs Poking Your Back Not With A Hybrid
Some people worry that the metal springs of a traditional mattress will start poking out here and there, particularly as they get older.
Well even as hybrid mattresses age, its still unlikely this will happen thanks to the top layers of foam that create a protective barrier between your back and any rogue springs.
Don’t Miss: How To Return My Pillow Mattress Topper
A Medium Mattress Thats Perfect For Most People
This item is on sale for Cyber Monday.
- Mattress composition : Breathable cover, memory foam comfort layer, gel visco support layer, polyfoam transition layer, wrapped coils with edge support, foam bottom layer
- Firmness level: Medium
- Trial period: 100 nights
The Helix Midnight LUXE is a highly-rated hybrid mattress thats hard not to love. It combines three layers of foampressure-relieving memory foam, gel visco for extra cushion and polyfoam for ergonomic support and comfortwith wrapped coils and a breathable cover. The wrapped coil layer ensures a reinforced perimeter so you dont feel like youre going to fall off the side of the mattress, while the Gel Visco support layer provides extra pressure relief, key for those with sensitive shoulders or hips. All of this comes together to give you a medium feel thats most popular among sleepers, and perfect for couples.
Drawbacks Of A Memory Foam Mattress
Some people find the sensation of lying on a memory foam mattress to be very uncomfortable This is because it has a high level of sinkage, and can feel like its enveloping the body. Some report feeling like they are trapped in the mattress.
For those who enjoy moving around a lot in their sleep, memory foam may feel restrictive. Memory foam also offers little to no bounce.
Memory foam is not known for being very breathable, meaning the mattresses can retain a lot of heat and cause the user to sleep hot. This can feel clammy or sweaty. Many memory foam mattresses now come with a layer of cooling foam to mitigate this.
A brand new memory foam mattress can be prone to off-gassing releasing an unpleasant, chemical scent left over from manufacture. This does fade over time, though.
Read Also: Cost Of Mypillow Mattress Topper
Whats Covered Under The Mattress Warranty
You should make sure that your hybrid mattress comes with a solid warranty package. A quality mattress should have at least a 10-year warranty some models even offer lifetime warranties. Our Editors and Luxury Picks, the DreamCloud and WinkBed, are two such examples.
The warranty length is critical, of course, but also take time to learn what is covered under the warranty. Traditional innersprings often come with warranties that cover premature sagging, while memory foam mattress warranties typically cover excessive indentation a good hybrid warranty should include both. Additionally, the warranty should discuss in clear terms how the manufacturer handles warranty claims, turnaround time, shipping costs and the procedures for mattress replacement.
For more information about warranties, please visit our guide to Understanding Mattress Warranties.
Are Hybrid Mattress Good The 8 Best Hybrid Mattresses
Hybrid mattresses integrate coil springs and foam-based products to offer the pressure point relief and relaxation properties of a foam mattress, in addition to the durability of coils. Are Hybrid Mattress Good
Hybrid mattresses are created to offer much of the very same benefits as other kinds of memory foam mattresses, however also contain coil springs to provide assistance. These coils are encased in a layer of foam, which implies that hybrid mattresses will be more durable and firmer than pure memory foam models.
The concept is that by integrating these two materials, you can get the very best parts of both worlds: pressure-relieving convenience and durability.
Read Also: My Pillow Mattress Topper Return Policy
Amerisleep As3 Hybrid Mattress Best Budget
Best for back sleepers, side sleepers, and combo-sleepers
- 100-night trial
- 20-year warranty
The Amerisleep USA-based company offers 3 models of hybrid mattresses, and the AS3 hybrid model appears to be the most comfortable and back supporting one, perfect for people who prefer the not-too-firm and not-too-soft mattresses.
It combines the pressure-relieving benefits of memory foam , with the responsiveness and bounce of pocketed coils.
The cover is made with an ultra-breathable blend of polyester, spandex, and celliant, helping you sleep cool, and allows for a quick snap back into place.
The 8-inch innerspring support layer makes this mattress bouncy, yet locally cushioned to prevent disturbing your spouse when you move.
The coils feature a zoned support system that makes the center of the mattress firmer than the edges, feels more supportive under the lower back when you are back sleeping, and softer under the shoulder and hips when you are side sleeping.
The Amerisleep AS3 12-inch mattress includes:
1. A soft, breathable cover, made from a blend of polyester, spandex, and cell-oxygenating celliant
2. A 3-inch support layer made from their unique Bio-Pur foam a plant-based, open-celled foam that is more responsive than traditional foam, and doesnt trap the heat.
The Bio-Pur foam bounces back faster than traditional foam, stays cool, and relieves pressure points in all sleep positions.
The coils are wrapped in a foam encasement that provides excellent wedge support
Helix Midnight: Best Pressure Point Relief
Perhaps one of the most affordable mattresses on this list, the Helix Midnight provides maximum comfort without breaking the bank. This mattress has a medium firmness level of 4-7 and is specifically designed for pressure relief.
The Helix Midnight Mattress covers have a soft touch design that increases airflow and breathability. It also has a comfort layer memory foam that provides medium firmness. The memory foam relieves pressure and prevents soreness.
The high-grade polyfoam also matches your body type. It has wrapped coils that reduce motion transfer while cradling your body. Aside from this, the Helix Midnight has a DuraDense foam that provides extra support and durability.
The firmness level of the Helix Midnight is 4-7, giving it a medium feel. This firmness also provides side sleeper support because it has a body contouring feature relieving your shoulders pressure.
The Helix Midnight has a breathable cover that maximizes airflow and breathability, preventing those sweaty nights. This mattress provides cooling and comfort without the use of any harmful chemicals or materials.
This brand offers a 100-night trial where you can get a full refund with no questions asked. The Helix Midnight also has a 10 to 15-year warranty, ensuring you have a durable mattress that will last for a long time.
Read Also: What To Do With Purple Mattress Bag
Memory Foam Vs Hybrid
Choosing a mattress type is one of the first steps in shopping for a new bed. Memory foam and hybrids are two of the most common kinds of mattresses on the market, with each offering distinct potential benefits. While they share some similarities in construction and performance, shoppers should consider the key differences before making a purchase.
To help you determine which type is right for you, well dig into what makes memory foam and hybrid mattresses unique. Well compare the features and performance of both and discuss availability, pricing, and other information to help you decide if one of these popular designs fits your needs.
Memory Foam Mattress Overview
Memory foam, also known as viscoelastic foam, was originally designed by NASA to use as cushioning in aircraft seats. Thanks to its close-conforming pressure relief, memory foam has become a popular material in the mattress industry.
While each model is different, most memory foam mattresses consist of a memory foam comfort system over a high-density polyfoam support core. Some memory foam mattresses also incorporate other materials, such as latex and specialty polyfoam, into their construction to increase durability, responsiveness, and/or temperature neutrality.
Memory foam mattresses cradle the body, which can help distribute weight away from pressure points. However, these conforming properties can also trap heat, which may be uncomfortable for some sleepers. That is why many manufacturers infuse the foam with substances like gel or copper, which are intended to draw heat away from the body. Covers designed for cooling and other materials engineered to wick away heat may also enhance the temperature neutrality.
Memory foam beds are popular and widely available. While prices vary, the average cost of a queen size all-foam mattress is between $800 and $2,500.
Recommended Reading: Mypillowtopper Com
How Long Does A Hybrid Mattress Last
All mattresses wear out over time and with use. However, there are things you can do at home to help prolong the life of your mattress while preserving its support and comfort. A typical life expectancy for both innerspring and hybrid mattresses is around ten years to 12 years max.
While that ten-year expectation often refers specifically to the springs in either mattress type, the upper layers on hybrid mattresses are usually designed to have a similar lifespan. Even so, some recommend estimating hybrid mattresses lifespans as closer to 8-10 years, as the foam material can wear out before the springs.
Know Your Sleep Position
Your preferred sleep positionstomach, side, back, or a combinationmay factor into which hybrid mattress you buy. While there aren’t hard and fast rules, if you’re wrestling with what to look for in a hybrid, consider the following criteria:
- Side sleepers often prefer a hybrid mattress with a robust, soft comfort layer that contours to the body’s sharper contact points, like the hips and shoulders.
- Stomach sleepers do well atop a firmer surface, and should look for firm hybrids that will adequately hold up the hips.
- Similarly, back sleepers may also want a medium-firm to firmer hybrid build to prevent the spine from falling out of its proper “S-curve” shaped alignment.
- Combination sleepers do best on medium to medium-firm hybrids that maintain a responsive sleep surface. With overly plush mattresses, combination sleepers may experience more of a ‘stuck’ feeling that doesn’t allow them to easily transition between positions.
Read Also: Moving Purple Mattress
Whats Better Hybrids Or Memory Foam Mattresses
This ultimately comes down to personal preference. Hybrids combine the cushion of foam layers with the bounce of innersprings, where memory foam mattresses have a more cradling, cloud-like feel. Memory foam mattresses are also longer-lasting than hybrids, but only by a year or so. Choosing between the two comes down to how you want your bed to feel.
Can I Put A Hybrid Mattress On A Box Spring
If you have a foam mattress or a hybrid mattress, you should avoid using a box spring. Because box springs do not have a firm surface to rest on, they do not offer a stable foundation for the mattress to rest on in fact, several mattress warranties expressly forbid the use of box springs altogether.
Also Check: Sleep Number Cancel Order