How To Clean A Mattress
1. Complement the mattress with a mattress protector or a separate pillow top. It makes it more hygenic, as it is easy to remove and clean. Some mattress and pillow tops have a washable cover. Read the tag inside the cover for more information.
2. Make sure that the zipper is closed when washing the mattress cover. Vacuuming the mattress helps to remove dust and mites. Use upholstery cleaner to remove stains.
3. If your mattress is turnable you should turn it about every three months. Turning a mattress ensures more even wear and helps to prolong its comfort. Dont fold the mattress. It can damage the springs and materials inside.
4. Even the best mattresses become less comfortable with age, and all mattresses accumulate dust and mites over the years. So even if the mattresses have a 25-year warranty, we still recommend that you change your mattress every 8-10 years.
Cost Factors For A Bed Base
The bed base refers to the part of a bed that supports the mattress. Here are a few of the factors to consider when youre thinking about purchasing a bed base to hold up your mattress.
- Box springs are generally cheaper than other kinds of bed bases, but may require an additional foundation or legs if you want storage space underneath. Its worth noting that box springs can help to extend the lifespan of your mattress, preventing deterioration and sagging.
- Foundations or platforms tend to be on the less expensive side. Like box springs, they can help to add value to your mattress purchase by extending its lifespan. They are generally set up to have storage space below, so there probably wont be a need for extra purchases like with box springs.
- There are a few factors that can make your bed base pricier. Some foundations have extra storage drawers and/or headboards, for example. These are often more expensive.
- Adjustable beds, which can be raised at the head or foot to create different angles for sleeping, are the priciest options. Still, they can be important for certain kinds of sleepers, such as people with poor circulation, sleep apnea, or other sleep problems. If you have certain sleep conditions, the price of an adjustable bed base may be well worth it for higher-quality sleep over time.
How Much Does A Good Mattress Cost
You can get a mattress for as little as $100, but would you really want to sleep on that? On the other hand, you dont need to spend 6 figures, either. The price of a mattress depends on many things, including the type of mattress and the materials used to construct it. Usually, you can get a great bed for less than $1500.
Also Check: Does A Murphy Bed Need A Special Mattress
Cost Factors For Hybrid Mattresses
Cost considerations for hybrid mattresses include the following points:
- In order to be considered a true hybrid, a mattress must have at least two inches of memory foam and/or latex in the comfort system and a pocketed coil support core. Many mattresses are sold as hybrids, even though they dont meet this criteria. For example, some models sold as hybrids feature latex and memory foam components, but the support core is made of polyfoam, not pocketed coils.
- Some hybrids feature a layer of microcoils in the comfort system for added conforming and pressure relief. Models with microcoil layers are usually more expensive than standard foam-and-coil hybrids. However, customer satisfaction ratings between microcoil and non-microcoil hybrids are comparable, suggesting that these components do not play a significant role in sleeper experiences.
Dont Forget Bedding And Bed Frames
When youre calculating the cost of a new mattress, remember to account for any bedding and bed frames you need to buy. A sturdy and supportive bed frame is a key part of mattress care. If you keep your mattress on an unsupportive surface, your bed may sag prematurely.
Foam beds like an Amerisleep mattress should be kept on a solid or slatted surface. Slats should be no more than 3 inches apart otherwise, the mattress might sink between the slats. Some bed slats are wrapped in no-skid fabric to keep your mattress in place.
We recommend breathable bedding, particularly for warmer summer months. Synthetic materials, such as polyester, are inexpensive but can trap heat instead of releasing it.
We also suggest investing in a sturdy mattress protector for any new mattress. Mattress protectors ensure your bed remains pristine by keeping out liquids, bed bugs, dust, dirt, pollen, and more.
Are you interested in the benefits of an adjustable bed? Check if a mattress brand offers a discounted bundle on a mattress and matching adjustable bed base. Bed bundles provide good value for sleepers with sleep apnea, acid reflux, and regular snoring.
Don’t Miss: What’s The Average Size Of A Queen Mattress
How Much Should A Mattress Cost
Mattresses are generally the third-largest investment you make, after your house and your car. Youll spend roughly 29,200 hours with your mattress, so its definitely one purchase that is worth making carefully. Like cars or houses, mattresses can range from very, very cheap to quite expensive. Unlike houses or cars, your mattress affects your sleep and overall health more than anything else you own. If you wake up on a bad mattress, the resulting back pain, diminished energy, and cognitive impairment you feel affects the quality of your day and everything you do.
Love It Or Exchange It
It takes time for you and your new mattress to get used to each other. That’s why we give you 365 days to be sure you’re compatible. If the chemistry isn’t right, simply come back and choose another mattress. When you’ve found your perfect match, you can sleep easy for years to come with our free 25-year warranty.
Recommended Reading: When To Replace Foam Mattress
How Much Does A Mattress Cost
Theres no one-size-fits-all price tag for a quality mattress. You can spend as little as $250 and as much as $3,500+ on a new bed. Many factors contribute to a beds price: the mattress size, materials used, country of manufacture, and more.
Because there is so much variance in price from size to size and material to material, it can be difficult to get a basic grasp of a price range to expect. For a quick estimate, its helpful to compare price ranges for each category of mattress.
Average Mattress Cost by Category:
|Affordable beds, typically all-foam or innerspring construction using basic materials.||$250-$1,000|
|Mid-range beds, usually all-foam, innerspring, or hybrid using quality materials.||$500-$1,500|
|Luxurious beds mostly hybrid and latex construction using high-end materials.||$1,200-$3,000+|
Average Mattress Cost by Material:
|Affordable beds, typically all-foam or innerspring construction using basic materials.||$500-$1,200+|
|Mid-range beds, usually all-foam, innerspring, or hybrid using quality materials.||$250-$1,200+|
|Luxurious beds mostly hybrid and latex construction using high-end materials.||$1,000-$2,500+||$1,100|
|Hybrid||Hybrid beds combine traditional metal coils with layers of foam materials, to create a good blend of comfort and support.||$1,000-$3,000+|
How Do You Know When You Need To Replace Your Mattress
First, consider the age of your mattress. Its not uncommon to replace a bed after 7 to 8 years of use. However, this isnt a hard-and-fast rule because a quality mattress can continue to provide a comfortable nights rest even after a decade.
Next, examine the condition of your mattress. Does it have any visible lumps, tears, stains, or sagging? Extensive wear and tear on a mattress reduces its support and sleep quality, leading to a decrease in your overall health.
Finally, ask yourself how well youre sleeping. If you tend to wake up sore or stiff, the culprit might be your old, unsupportive mattress. Poor sleep symptoms can also be mental instead of physical, such as a low mood or cognitive impairment.
Recommended Reading: Can You Finance A Purple Mattress
What Is The Average Lifespan Of A Mattress
The average lifespan of a mattress depends on the mattress type.
- Innerspring mattresses often last only 5 to 6 years. Low-quality mattresses may lose support in as little as three years.
- Memory foam mattresses last an average of 7 years. However, high-quality memory foam mattresses can still feel comfortable after a decade of nightly use.
- Hybrid mattresses last about 7 years. This number may change because manufacturers continue to alter and improve hybrid designs.
- Natural latex mattresses can last up to 15 years or more. Synthetic latex mattresses often have a lifespan comparable to the average memory foam mattress.
- Reports on air bed lifespans are inconsistent. Some owners say their air mattress only lasted 5 years, while others say their bed lasted a decade. Twenty-five percent of air bed owners had to replace at least one part during its lifetime, according to Sleep Like the Dead.
You can extend your mattresss likely lifespan by rotating it every three to six months.
Comfort Level Or Model Exchanges
Some brands are willing to allow shoppers to send in their mattress or comfort materials in exchange for a different comfort level or a new model altogether. If you find yourself tossing and turning because you accidentally purchased a mattress that is too firm or too soft, you can simply switch it out for one that suits you better. This is often free within the trial period, but after that time there may be a fee required.
Don’t Miss: How Long Do Coil Mattresses Last
Other Factors That Impact Mattress Price
There are a number of other factors that may affect the cost of a mattress, regardless of the type of bed it is. Here are some additional things to consider when it comes to the final price of your bed:
Shipping costs: While many manufacturers will give you free delivery when you order a mattress for them, some will charge a shipping fee. If you live in offshore U.S. territories, Hawaii, or Alaska, you can definitely expect to pay some additional shipping costs. For manufacturers that dont offer free shipping with their beds, you can expect to pay $100 or more.
Returns: If you end up returning your mattress, you might have to pay a fee. Most online mattress companies offer sleep trials that allow customers to test out their bed before deciding whether to keep it. A lot of these trials come with fees for shipping and handling, so make sure you check the fine print in the company policy before you buy.
White Glove delivery: A high percentage of mattress manufacturers offer a service called White Glove delivery. This includes in-home assembly of your new mattress and packaging waste removal. This can cost anywhere from $99 on up.
Foundations: Depending on whether you need to buy a mattress foundation and what type you select, this could add quite a bit to your final bed price. Most mattresses will have options for foundations under the same brand name and these can cost anywhere from $150 on up.
How Much Does A Poor Nights Sleep Cost
As US News & World Report points out, the costs associated with poor sleep are staggering:
- The cost of a car accident: 30-40 percent of heavy truck accidents are caused by fatigue.
- The cost of medical expenses: poor sleepers are 15% more likely to have a stroke, 48% more likely to have a heart attack, and 75% more likely to be obese.
- The cost of bad financial decisions: youre more likely to make risky gambles when youre tired.
- The cost of insomnia: employees with insomnia cost their bosses $3,225 more than their refreshed cohorts.
- The cost of convenience: the fatigued are more likely to pay for help with housekeeping and cooking.
- The cost of caffeine: expect to pay $1,900 a year for that cup of joe to keep you sane each day.
Given this reality, choosing the right mattress is one of the most important decisions youll make.
Recommended Reading: Are Memory Foam Mattresses Bad For Your Health
If You Buy Offline Try To Negotiate
Seriously, you can negotiate on both price and delivery show the salesman that you’re searching for the best price on a certain mattress, find a similar mattress online , and show him or her that you’ve found a cheaper option. Most salespeople are trained to solve such problems and to drop the price, so your chances are quite high!
How Can I Get A Mattress That Costs Less
Keep in mind that sometimes the less a mattress costs, the faster it may need to be replaced. But that doesnât mean you canât find a great deal on a great product.
You may look for coupons that could help you to save a few bucks when you purchase a new bed online. Shopping online, in and of itself, can be a great way to reduce the cost of a new mattress, as this process cuts out the expense of brick and mortar stores. Some brands are available through Amazon, which may offer a lower price than their home site.
Many companies offer deep discounts during certain holidays, like Presidentâs Day or Memorial Day, allowing shoppers to save hundreds of dollars.
Don’t Miss: Can You Put A Mattress Back In The Box
Specialty Materials And Construction
Materials and craftsmanship are often the biggest influence on a mattresss price. After all, the more it costs to acquire material, the more expensive the mattress will be.
Natural materials raise a mattresss retail price. Materials such as organic cotton, wool, and latex have to be harvested and produced in a certain way to meet certification requirements. These methods increase production costs, along with certification fees.
The price of an all-foam mattress depends not only on the type of foams it contains but also on its foam density. Foam density refers to how much material a cubic foot contains. A higher density foam mattress has more material than a lower density mattress.
The number of coils in a hybrid or innerspring mattress affects its price, as does the beds coil gauge. Coil gauge expresses how thick the mattresss coils are, which determines a beds feel. Thin coils often feel softer, while thick coils provide firm support. Quality mattresses often contain a mix of soft and firm coils for targeted support.
Average Cost Of An Air Bed
Air beds cost around £67, but range in price from £59.99 for a single up to £79.99 for a king size. While they cost noticeably more than an air mattress, air beds provided an extra dose of comfort and luxury and make for an ideal option for guests staying over. An air bed’s raised height resembles a regular bed as opposed to an air mattress which is very low to the ground. When budgeting for an air mattress, keep in mind the cost of a pump for your air bed, as unlike with an air mattress they are challenging to inflate manually.
|How Much is an Air Bed?||Single|
Recommended Reading: Do New Mattresses Soften Up
How To Get The Best Deal On A Mattress
When youre looking for the best possible deal on a mattress, there are a number of factors that come into play. Here are a few tricks and tips, as well as some important factors to consider when looking for a great mattress deal.
Its important to do your homework when youre looking for the best deal on a mattress. Conduct market research before you buy, and youll end up with a higher-value purchase in the end.
Mattresses vary widely in terms of durability, firmness, prices, and overall quality. Compare customer reviews and brand prices in order to get the most value for what you pay.
Date-specific deals are huge in the mattress industry. If you time your purchase correctly, you can save quite a bit on your mattress. Here are some of the most common holidays and other sales days when you might snag a mattress deal:
Get a friend referral
If you have a friend who recently bought a mattress or is looking to buy one, you could save money on your own mattress purchase. Some retailers offer a referral deal on your purchase when someone who purchases a mattress refers you to the company.
Choose a brand that offers free shipping
Buying a mattress online is often cheaper than buying one in person, and most retailers offer their products on the web in todays market. Many companies offer free shipping, which is a major perk.
Do . Read customer reviews to make sure the mattress will last a long time for the price youll be paying.
The Ghostbed Classic Mattress
GhostBed makes a few different mattress options, but their GhostBed Classic mattress is still one of the best. This mixed-foam mattress is thicker than most all-foam mattresses. You can feel the difference right in the support foam.
This Canadian-made mattress is a 7.5 on the universal firmness scale. This makes it a medium-firm mattress. Its firm enough for most types of sleepers, though it may be too firm for side sleepers. Still, its supportive all the way through. GhostBed prides itself on providing a mattress that sleeps comfortably and lasts a long time. Their 20-year warranty proves how much they stand behind their product.
The GhostBed mattress is made of three layers of mixed foams, all of which work together to cradle your body. The bottom layer of high-density foam offers great core support. Your spine will stay aligned comfortably no matter which way you sleep. Sleepers over 230lbs might find that this mattress dips a little more than they like, however.
On top of this is a middle layer of GhostBeds proprietary gel cooling foam. This memory foam layer was created with notably larger foam cells than other mattresses. Its the layer that helps you sleep cooler no matter how warm you get at night.
After 30 days , you can contact GhostBed to request a return. GhostBed will try to fix the situation, but if they cant, they will give you a refund and set up a return.
Why are we impressed?
Don’t Miss: Is Restonic A Good Mattress