Consider A Mattress Pad
Though thinner than a mattress topper, a mattress pad can also add a little comfort to an unforgiving bed. It slips over your mattress like a fitted sheet, and you then add your sheets on top. Mattress pads are available in many materials, including down, foam, and cotton, and they offer various levels of support and softness as well as protection for the mattress.
How Do Hotels Keep Their Towels And Bedding So White
Hotels have different maintenance procedures for their towels and bedding, but it includes frequent washing. Typically, hotel staff start by treating the items for stainsheavily stained towels and sheets are boiled or soaked in hot water with baking soda and laundry detergent. Next, the items go through three separate wash cycles with cold water. The first wash is with laundry detergent, then fabric softener, and finally with bleach to bring out the whiteness.
Best Mattresses For Stomach Sleepers Of 2021
- Editors Pick Helix Dawn
- Best Mattress for Stomach Sleepers with Back Pain Saatva
- Best Mattress for Heavy People WinkBed Plus
- Best Firm Mattress for Stomach Sleepers Brooklyn Bedding Plank
- Best Mattress for Side and Stomach Sleepers Layla Hybrid
- Best Organic Mattress Birch Natural
- Best Foam Mattress for Stomach Sleepers Casper
- Best Cooling Mattress Purple Hybrid
Recommended Reading: The Casper Foundation
Change Your Sleeping Position
An easy way to make a hard mattress softer is to change how you sleep. Changing your sleeping position can make your mattress firmness feel different.
If your mattress feels too hard, you could try sleeping on your front or back. This is because some firmness ratings are more suited to certain sleeping positions to properly support your joints.
You can find out more about the best mattresses for different sleeping positions in our guide.
Why Mattress Firmness Level Is Crucial For Sleep
Getting the best mattress for yourself is all about finding the right firmness level suitable for your sleeping position and body type. Side sleepers need a medium, medium-soft, or soft mattress to cushion their shoulders and hips. In the side sleeping position, these regions bear the weight of your body, so adequate cushioning will eliminate pressure points in the shoulders and hips.
Back sleepers need a medium or medium-firm mattress to keep their spine in a neutral position. A firmer surface prevents mattress sinkage beneath your back, eliminating chances of spinal misalignment. Spinal misalignment triggers back pain, neck ache, and muscle stiffness.
Stomach sleepers need a firm mattress for enhanced support beneath their abdomen. This reduces the chances of straining your spine and waking up sore.
Combination sleepers feel good on a medium mattress because it suits their changing sleep positions through the night.
Softer mattresses are more pressure-sensitive than firmer beds, so petite sleepers need soft beds to conform to them. These soft beds compress under weight, making them feel softer for those who weigh more than 130 pounds. Average and plus size sleepers tend to feel the mattress sink beneath them, triggering spinal misalignment. To counter this sinking feeling, plus-size sleepers need firmer beds, while average sleepers need a medium.
Don’t Miss: How To Wash My Pillow Mattress Topper
Make A Mattress Softer With A Plush Bed Topper
A mattress thats too firm for your body and sleep position will quickly cause aches and pains. If youre outside of your trial period and cant return the mattress for a softer version, then your other option is to buy a bed topper designed to add extra plushness to firm mattresses.
These types of toppers are often made with feathers or memory foam. Natural materials, like feathers, are more expensive, but you can buy cheap foam mattress toppers for as little as $30. Theyre basically slabs of foam that contour to your body, creating a cradling effect that offsets firm mattresses. Our best mattress toppers guide has some great budget picks.
Purchase Your Own Mattress
Most dorms do not allow students to replace their mattress with their own. However, if your school does, the most effective way to guarantee your dorm mattress is comfortable is purchasing your own. Select a mattress that is made from high-performance materials and you can rest assured that your mattress will be durable and comfortable. You can also buy a mattress made from antimicrobial material, which can prevent the spread of bacterial diseases like meningitis or MRSA that thrive on college campuses.
Do You Need a College Roommate Agreement?
Recommended Reading: Purple Mattress Payment Plan
Using Mattress Toppers To Modify Firmness
Mattress toppers are a great option to modify the firmness level of beds, suiting your comfort. They are usually 2 to 4 inches thick and are placed on top of the mattress to alter its feel. You can use these mattress accessories to soften or firm up your bed but they cannot fix a sagging mattress.
Mattress toppers are made of different materials, such as memory foam, latex, wool, or down. The thickness and density of the material determines its firmness level. Before buying a topper check whether its soft or firm.
At Amerisleep, we have two memory foam toppers to soften or firm up your bed.
Important Tips For Transforming Your Mattress
Neither mattresses or sleepers are made alike. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when deciding what to add to your mattress.
- Know your sleeping position: Your mattress might be uncomfortable because it isn’t intended for your sleeping position . Research your bed’s intended sleeper type or consider transforming a new cheap mattress.
- If you sleep hot, get a gel or latex cooling mattress topper: Latex won’t absorb as much heat as regular memory foam. GhostBed makes foam toppers for hot sleepers. Also, consider sheets that wick away heat.
- If you don’t like memory foam, there are mattress topper options for you: Brands like PlushBeds offer natural latex mattress toppers or even some made completely of feathers. Latex foam has more buoyancy than memory foam, meaning you will not sink into the mattress as much as with memory foam.
- If you require a firmer mattress, there are mattress topper options for you: While they might not be as abundant as soft memory foam mattress toppers, firm toppers are available from brands like Puffy, Avocado and Brooklyn Bedding.
- Not all pillows are made the same: Pay careful attention to the pillows you buy, as not every pillow is made for your sleeper type either. For example, Tempur-Pedic’s Tempur-Cloud pillow is strictly designed for back and stomach sleepers. If you are a side sleeper, Tempur-Pedic recommends other pillows, like the Tempur-Cloud Breeze Dual Cooling pillow.
Read Also: Purple Mattress Payments
How Long Should A Mattress Last
You should replace your mattress every eight years regardless of the build and material. That’s why our support measurement tests simulate eight years of use. That said, there are other indicators you should consider, on top of manufacturer guidelines.
It mostly comes down to comfort and feel. If your mattress has significant sagging, sings of lumps or it just doesn’t feel supportive anymore then it’s probably time to replace it. Aches and pains after a night’s sleep can be a good indicator.
Also, give it a whiff every now and then. Humans shed all sorts of lovely things including hair, skin, we sweat everywhere and gather grit, grime and dirt during day-to-day activities. This all seeps into your mattress over time, not to mention other things if you have pets or young children, which can create some interesting odors.
It’s starting to stink or there are permanent stains and general indications of wear and tear, get a new one. An occasional vacuum probably wouldn’t hurt either.
Where To Shop For A Mattress
Laying down in the store isn’t the only way to go anymore. New mattress-in-a-box companies have won over thousands of customers with convenient shipping and free trial periods. Online mattress buying buying has seen a serious boom, but its not right for everyone. Here’s what you need to know.
Shop in the store if…
Go the traditional route if you want a greater variety and to feel them before buying. In a mattress store, you should never pay full price. Always shop the sales, and don’t be afraid to negotiate with the salesperson. Most stores will also offer removal of your existing mattress. The downside is it can feel overwhelming and it’s harder to compare prices to know if youre getting a good deal. A big mistake is rushing the decision by quickly lying down on many different mattresses to find the one that feels best. If youre going to invest in a mattress, take the time to recline for a while and make sure you dont feel any pressure or pain.
Shop online if…
This newer route offers a great alternative if you have trouble making decisions, since there are fewer options. Plus, you can shop from home! These mattresses generally arrive in a box at your doorstep within a few days and include free shipping and a money-back guarantee so there’s minimal risk. Online, the price is usually final, but it doesnt include markups for being sold at a physical store. The downsides are that you typically have to set it up yourself and deal with getting rid of your old mattress.
Read Also: Plush Vs Euro Top
Why Do Hotel Beds Feel So Good
Hotel beds feel so good and comfortable for three major reasons:
- Hotel rooms are an entire Setup of consistent efforts, hardwork and expenses.
When you check-in a hotel with an intention of escaping from everyday chores, one ideology that remains the same between you and your hotel is to make you feel like home, away from home. Having said that, hotel beds are just not about a mattress, its an experience and an entire setup of consistent efforts, hardwork and expenses. Right from the bed sheets, pillows, cushions, comforters, blankets, towels to room service and regular maintenance hotel stays are a wholesome package that makes you feel liberated leading you to a relaxed goodnight sleep.
When traveling, our body parts like shoulders, back, back of the neck, and legs generally take on more physical work than expected. The only rescue to body fatigue during travel is a good sleep on a cozy, comfy, and firm mattress. And precisely thats what hotel beds provide exceptionally. Hotel mattresses offer extended support to the body that is appropriately comforted when sleeping. The pent-up physical stress and exhaustion needs a feather-like cozy support, and a hotel mattress delivers that remarkably well.
- Difference in Mattress Construction
Most Comfortable Mattress Reviews Of 2022 Overview
- Amerisleep AS3 Here at Best Mattress Brand, we love the Amerisleep AS3 for its superb cushioning, support, and breathability. Its made right here in the USA and is free of heavy metal, phthalates, formaldehyde, and low in VOCs.
- Zoma Mattress Another one of the most comfortable mattresses is the Zoma Mattress. This breathable bed contains gel memory foam built to draw heat and moisture away from your body, helping you sleep comfortably all night long!
|Plant-based mattress available in both foam and hybrid variations||$1399|
|Cooling gel and zoned support ensure you stay comfortable all night long||$799|
|Budget bed made with high-quality materials||$599|
|Thick cushioning and latex-like materials make this bed suitable for all bodies||$2299|
|Customizable mattress available in three firmnesses and two thicknesses||$1595|
|Aerated latex design aligns your spine, distributes your body weight, and keeps you cool||$907|
Don’t Miss: Tight Top Mattress Meaning
Things That Make A Mattress Comfortable:
Comfort is the key when it comes to choosing a mattress. There are certain things that you should consider:
1. Firmness Level and support: This refers to the amount of pressure that the material uses. If you have back problems, you should look for a mattress that supports your back. Also, try lying on it before actually buying it to see if you feel comfortable enough with it.
2. Temperature: You need to consider the mattresss temperature because some materials get very hot when used. However, the normal mattress will get warm over time. So when shopping for a new mattress, make sure that it is not producing heat but still feels comfortable enough to use.
3. Mattress Topper: This material is placed on the mattress to provide you with more comfort. For example, foam toppers provide body heat and help you maintain an ideal body temperature even though your mattress is cold. If you want extra cushioning, then you need to choose a memory foam mattress.
4. Breathable Materials: The mattress should have breathable material which will allow the air to flow and prevent you from feeling hot all night.
5. Motion Isolation: Motion isolation refers to how well a mattress can handle movement from other parts of the bed, such as your partner rolling in their sleep or getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.
7. Easy To Move: The mattress should be easy to move because you need to have it replaced every 5 to 7 years, which means you will have to move it.
What Is A Mattress Topper
A mattress topper is one of those things that does exactly what it says on the label, really it’s an extra layer that goes on top of your mattress to provide extra comfort and protection . They come in all sorts of thicknesses, are made of a range of different materials, and you’ll be able to find one for a bed of more or less any size, from a child’s twin bed to a king size double.
Recommended Reading: Purple Mattress Bag
Brooklyn Bedding Signature Mattress
The Signature Hybrid mattress comes in three firmness options and is made with a slew of proprietary materials. Brooklyn Bedding know their mattresses.
The Brooklyn Signature mattress by Brooklyn Bedding is a high-quality foam and coil mattress at an accessible price point. A Queen size doesnt cost much more than $1,000, and Brooklyn Bedding often offers discounts that drop the price below $1,000.
You can choose from Soft, Medium, and Firm versions, and each includes Brooklyn Beddings proprietary TitanFlex foam. This comfort layer has the contouring effect of memory foam and the responsiveness of latex foam. The coil support layer is made of up to 961 individually wrapped pocketed coils that give the mattress a buoyant, bouncy core.
Included in the price are free shipping and returns, a 120-night sleep trial, and a 10-year warranty.
Eve Sleep Premium Hybrid: 782 Evesleepcouk
Sizes available: Double, king, super king
Mattress depth: 28cm
Material: Memory foam and springs
Trial period: 100 nights
Guarantee: 10 years
This extra-deep, vacuum-packed hybrid mattress is next level, in our opinion, especially when it comes to people who sleep at least part of the night on their backs and, unlike the Emma hybrid that goes for folk of any shape and size. This is particularly good news for tall and/or overweight back sleepers, for whom no other mattress came close in our tests.
The durability is outstanding, so it should last you longer than other mattresses. It also gets 10 out of 10 from us on breathability, comfort and support, being just slightly firmer than medium. Eve says its down to the combination of special layers and years of product development, focus groups and testing. The top provides a comfy lift, followed by a contouring memory foam layer, then a firmer foam support layer and a sturdy foam base layer that also encloses full-sized pocket springs. You wont disturb your partner when you roll over and the cover is washable. It does smell a bit at first, but not for long, and no mattress scored higher for edge to edge support.
Read our complete round-up of the best mattresses 2021
Read Also: The Foundation Casper
Can A Mattress Topper Be Replacement For A New Mattress
Although a mattress topper can extend the life of a mattress, and may make a slightly worn-out mattress feel a little bit more sturdy and comfortable for a while, reducing any pressure from out-of-place springs, they’re ultimately just a topper, and your comfort will still rely on the mattress below.
The Sleep Council recommends replacing your mattress at least every seven years if you’ve regularly been using a mattress topper, then you may be able to put it off for a little bit longer, but it’s still not recommended.
What Types Of Mattresses Do Luxury Hotels Inns And B& Bs Use
Were tempted to answer the question posed by the title of this article with a short, snarky response: Comfortable ones.
But that wouldnt help our customers very much.
And the truth is, there are several different types of hotel mattresses. The beds youd find at one chain might have features that you wouldnt find at the next. The only thing that ties them together is that hotels, inns, and bed and breakfasts need to put guest comfort first while providing a durable mattress.
Some hotel chains have gotten so confident in their beds that theyve begun to offer people the chance to purchase them for their homes.
CNN looked at this phenomenon last year and did a rundown of a few of the more popular bed offerings from different hotel chains.
Also Check: Where To Buy Wyoming King Mattress
You May Like: Wyoming King Comforter Set