How To Sleep With Back Pain
Sometimes your back pain issues are not solved by just getting a new mattress, or even a mattress with a better firmness. Your sleep health is a combination of so many different factors. Here are some tactics you can try:
Side Sleeping Tips
- Use a pillow between your knees. Side sleeping requires one leg to be higher than the other. What ends up happening is that the top leg may rock and pull at your pelvis due to the downward slope towards your feet. Adding a pillow between your knees not only takes the weight off your lower leg but it levels the top leg and helps it rest in a more neutral position.
- Use a small thin pillow just above your pelvis. This area is notoriously unsupported, especially for the petite or people with wide hips and a thin waist. If you find this area unsupported then this is a great thing to try as it also helps position your pelvis and legs for good sleep.
- Don’t forget about your pillow. Each area within your sleeping position can have an impact on your sleep. Even as a lower back pain sufferer, fixing problems with your pillow and neck position can actually help improve back pain as well. Side sleepers should seek a thicker pillow to fill the often large gap between the shoulder and neck.
- Learn more specifics about side sleeping tips and mattress recommendations by reading my guide on Best Mattresses for Side Sleeping.
Back Sleeping Tips
Stomach Sleeping Tips
Firmness And Sleeping Positions
Your preferred sleeping position will determine what type of mattress you find comfortable.
The best mattresses for side sleepers are soft to medium. This firmness allows for more cushioning around the shoulders and hips, so no pressure points form near these sensitive areas.
Back sleepers often prefer a medium to medium-firm mattress, so they dont experience sinking, and the spine stays aligned.
If you need the best mattress for stomach sleeping, choose something firm. Firm mattresses prevent the chest from sinking too far into the bed and keep the spine in healthy alignment.
Mattresses for combination sleepers can range from soft to medium in firmness since these beds are suited to most sleep positions and body types.
- Takeaway: Overall, memory foam mattresses offer more firmness options than spring mattresses. This variety makes it easier to shop for a mattress that will suit you. However, spring mattresses also vary in firmness. You will have to research the bed thoroughly to understand what type of mattress you are getting.
What Are The Factors That Establish The Top Quality Of A Bed Mattress
The high quality of a cushion is determined by its materials, sturdiness, and convenience. Numerous factors identify the top quality of a bed.
Factors that figure out the top quality of a cushion:
Materials: The product used in cushion building and construction is just one of the most vital factors to think about when looking for a high quality bed.
Resilience: Durability is an additional crucial factor identifying the length of time your mattress will last as well as just how well it will certainly serve your needs.
Comfort: Comfort is likewise an important aspect to consider when acquiring a brand-new cushion. It can affect how well you rest in the evening and your general well-being.
Don’t Miss: Does Casper Mattress Need A Box Spring
Have You Looked Inside Your Mattress Lately
Where are you at in your mattress life cycle? Do you fall into any of the Mattress Problems discussed below? Do you own a spring mattress?
Spring Mattress technology was patented in 1865. However it wasn’t until 1930 that spring mattresses became dominant in the bedding industry. We started selling full foam mattresses in 1988, long before there was Tempurpedic, Sleep Country Canada, spring mattresses imported from China and people selling cheaper memory foam mattresses on the internet.
Full foam mattresses have become so popular that even the big three spring mattress manufacturers are now offering full foam mattresses in their line-ups. The problem is they are not using the best quality of foam available because they are banking on the fact that most people do not know any better or do not have the time to check on the details. Advertising is good but sometimes it is used to create perceptions that may or may not be true. We know better and before you buy your next mattress, so should you.
Can You Flip A One Sided Pillow Top Mattress Over
Single-sided mattresses can not flipped over like traditional double-sided mattresses, because there is only padding on one side. Single-sided mattresses are less expensive than double-sided mattresses, and are sometimes preferred because they do not require regular flipping. Flip your mattress to prolong its life.
Also Check: What To Do With Purple Mattress Bag
Just How To Ensure You Obtain A Good Nights Rest With The Right Bed Mattress
There are numerous sorts of mattresses available on the market. Unfortunately, finding the most effective mattress for neck and back pain relief is challenging. It would certainly be best to consider some variables when purchasing a bed for your house.
- The first thing is to know what type of mattress you need for your neck and back pain relief. If you have chronic back pain, a company mattress will certainly be the ideal choice for you, as well as if you have periodic reduced back pain, then a soft bed will certainly be the ideal alternative.
- The 2nd thing is that it is crucial to know just how much weight you place on your bed? If its more than 300 extra pounds, then it should be a high quality as well as long lasting material like latex or memory foam or else choose innerspring or futon bed mattress which
This article concludes that an excellent bed mattress as well as cushion are important for a good nights rest. An excellent bed will certainly give the right amount of assistance for your body and keep you in the proper positioning, which will certainly help advertise much better blood circulation. An excellent cushion will likewise permit your head to relax in the correct setting and maintain your spinal column lined up, important for getting a restful evenings rest.
Creating Optimal Spinal Alignment
When we enter slow-wave sleep, our muscles are not paralyzed like in REM periods, and we may move around. This could mean rolling around and winding up in odd sleeping positions. If you have a mattress with zoned support, this shouldnt be a big deal as long as you dont wind yourself into a pretzel. The mattress should do the work in letting your shoulders and hips sink in a little while supporting the spine.
However, if youre on an ultra-hard bed and end up on your side, you could end up messing with the spinal curve, and if youre already dealing with pain and inflammation, this isnt great news.
Mattresses have come a long way in the past few years and many companies have realized the benefits of proper spinal alignment for sleep. When youre laying on the side, proper alignment should be fairly straight, allowing the hips and shoulders to sink in slightly while supporting the middle. Mattresses that offer zoned support tend to be great at this.
When sleeping on your back, there should be a slight curve in the spine, with support in the mid and low back, while allowing the neck to rest backward. If you live in the twenty-first century, you probably spend a fair amount of time looking at screens. Whether on your phone, a computer, or a gaming device.
Check Out Our Guide: Top Rated Pillows for Back Pain
You May Like: Can I Put A Casper Mattress On A Regular Box Spring
Buying Guide For Best Mattresses For Back Pain
Would you be surprised to learn that nearly 80 percent of Americans have reported experiencing an episode of low back pain at least once in their lives? Probably not, because with a statistic that overwhelming you likely fall in the bunch.
Whether its a brief stint or a long-term affliction, back pain can be a major source of frustration . Part of healing your pain has to do with taking advantage of those precious hours of restorative sleep each night, but its nearly impossible to comfortably rest when youre suffering from muscle soreness.
Its time for this vicious cycle to end. Your sleep is a serious matter, and so is ending your pain. Thats why we reviewed more than 100 different mattresses and compared each on qualities that are favorable for sleepers with back pain. This guide will make it easy for you to find the best mattress to alleviate your pain and help you get the quality sleep you deserve.
Casper Wave Hybrid Mattress
The Casper® Wave Hybrid Mattress is our most supportive mattress, combining foam and springs for added lift, airflow, and edge support. Its Zoned Support Max and gel pods ergonomically align your spine in two layers with gel pod support that cradles hips.
In addition, the AirScape 3 + cooling gel makes it our coolest mattress yet, circulating air away from you and keeping your mattress cool to the touch. Finally, there are hundreds of resilient springs that add lift, airflow, and a bit of bounce.
Also Check: Wyoming King Bed Vs Alaskan King Bed
What Are The Elements That Impact Our Rest Quality
It is essential to make sure that the atmosphere is conducive to sleep for an excellent rest. The bedroom should be dark and also trendy, and also the bed ought to fit.
The quality of rest can likewise be influenced by snoring or sleeping disorders. Sleep apnea is a condition where there are interruptions in breathing throughout rest.
Sleeplessness impacts ones ability to fall asleep or stay asleep in the evening, which leads to low quality of rest in general. Variables such as anxiety, anxiety, depression, or chronic discomfort can create sleeplessness in various means.
How A Mattress Can Contribute To A Bad Back
If your mattress is old, its ability to support your body comfortably will deteriorate over time, with pocket springs losing their strength and memory foam or latex layers losing their ability to spring back into shape when youve gotten out of bed.
Without these supports in place, your body may not be evenly supported, leading to a change in your spinal alignment, which can result in a bad back. In order to ensure sufficient support and pressure relief, its recommended that you replace your mattress every 7-8 years.
Read Also: Who Sells Wyoming King Mattress
Mattress Features To Look For To Relieve Back Pain
When shopping for a mattress to help relieve back pain, some features are more important than others. With so many products and a bevy of marketing hype, it can be tough to parse out what really matters. Youre most likely to get the most satisfaction out of your purchase by focusing on certain key considerations:
- Mattress Type: the materials and design will play a huge role in the performance of a mattress. The contouring, bounce, firmness, temperature regulation, and motion isolation of a mattress will be different for each mattress type, so it is critical for shoppers to think about their priorities and choose a mattress with components that will best meet their needs.
- Zoned Support: weight from the body is not distributed evenly instead, certain areas tend to require more cushioning. A zoned mattress takes that into account and offers reinforced support in those areas.
- Quality Materials: a mattress made with excellent materials is much more likely to provide the performance, reliability, and durability that people with back pain need.
- Firmness Level: firmness is a key driver of mattress comfort and is largely a matter of personal preference. At the same time, the right firmness level can play a big part in whether a mattress offers sufficient support, and that will depend significantly on a persons body weight and sleeping position.
Can A Mattress Cause Back Pain
A mattress can definitely be a cause of back pain because it plays such an important role in how the body is positioned through the night. Most people know that posture is important but only think about their posture in the context of standing and sitting. This can cause them to overlook the importance of having a mattress that is the proper fit for them based on their body shape, weight, and sleeping position.
If the spine and joints arent aligned and well-cushioned during sleep, they wont be able to relax. Instead of recovering, the body will be strained, exacerbating pre-existing back issues and sowing the seeds for new ones. The easiest way to know whether a mattress is a contributing factor to back pain is if the pain tends to be the most pronounced in the morning when you wake up. If the pain is the worst when you get out of bed and subsides during the day, theres a good chance that your mattress is playing a part in your aches and pains.
Top 3 Kinds Of Materials Made Use Of For Making Cushions What Is The Difference
The three most popular products utilized for making bed mattress are foam, springtimes, and also latex.
Foam is the most common material used in cushions. It is made from polyurethane or polyester, and it is the most affordable kind of material utilized in beds.
Springs are the 2nd most popular type of products used in cushions. They are durable and supply useful assistance, yet they have a tendency to be much more costly than foam.
Latex is an all-natural product that has a lot of benefits, such as being lightweight and also durable. Still, its also a lot more costly than other kinds of products for making a bed mattress.
Memory Foam Vs Spring Mattress
Innerspring mattresses have been around for decades but with the advent of the age of technology, newer materials have begun to show up none of them perhaps is more intriguing than memory foam a material that responds to body heat to shape itself.
Many of us are on the fence between these two choices traditional vs. contemporary. The truth is that there is a vast difference between the structure and mechanism of the two, and choosing between them can be a tough call if you dont have a lot of experience in bedding.
Still, picking the right side for yourself in the memory foam vs spring mattress debate could prove critical for a restful sleeping experience, one that rejuvenates your physical structure, and alleviates back-pain.
Conversely, make the wrong pick, and you could end up with a lot more than lost sleep severe sciatica, short product lifespan, and a voided warranty are all on the table.
Don’t Miss: Mypillow Return Policy
Choose The Correct Spring Tension If You Have A Bad Back
Choosing the correct spring tension for your body weight is essential. All quality mattresses should offer you suitable support for your weight and height. Where most people fail when choosing a mattress for backache is they fail to pick the right spring tension for their bodyweight.
Most retailers give a firmness rating but no spring tension.
Lets explain why firmness and support are two separate choices:
- The firmness is the perceived tension or comfort of the mattress by the sleeper provided by the upholstery not the spring.
- Support is actually dictated by your weight given that the majority of mattresses are sprung unless youre looking at a solid core latex or foam mattress. The spring units will have a weight range which they have been designed and manufactured to accommodate.
Any half-decent mattress manufacturer or retailer should be able to tell you exactly what weight range their particular spring tensions are suited for. Unfortunately, they probably wont have a clue and will just ask you to lie on it, maybe telling you that its individual preference.
A spring unit has to be made with a load-bearing weight in mind, it is fundamental to the laws of physics. If not the manufacturers are just guessing, and given the multi-million-pound industry that is beds, theres no way spring manufacturers are going to risk a guess specification.
Option : Hotel Platinum 1400 Pocket Sprung Mattress
The pocket sprung mattress contains hundreds, often thousands of individual springs, each sewn into its own pocket of fabric. The Hotel Platinum 1400 is, in our view, the best pocket sprung mattress for back pain.
The advantage of this is that the springs within a pocket sprung mattress operate independently of one another, respond to your weight, shape, movement and sleeping position and providing effective weight distribution, which is especially good for those who are taller or heavier. The ability of the individual springs to adjust to the contours of your body can help to provide relief and support for those with a bad back. As a rule of thumb, the higher the spring count the better.
Why is a pocket sprung mattress good for back pain?
- Pocket sprung mattresses provide even distribution of weight, relieving pressure points therefore providing some relief from back pain
- Responsive to movement and shape
- Come in a variety of firmness & spring count options
- Ideal for taller or heavier individuals suffering with a bad back
Don’t Miss: Can A Casper Mattress Go On A Box Spring
Best Overall: Saatva Classic Mattress
Made with recycled steel coils
Two height options
Prone to sagging
May be too firm for some
Saatvas Classic Mattress offers pressure point relief no matter your go-to sleeping position. Designed to add benefits to those recovering from surgery or experiencing back or joint pain, its individually-wrapped coil construction contours to your bodys unique movements while the memory foam keeps your spine in check. And if youre prone to overheating, its dual-coil system promotes enhanced airflow while the organic pillow top promises breathability.
Depending on your body type and if you prefer a hugging or floating feel, choose from the comfort levels plush soft, luxury firm, or firm. For added weightless comfort, you can also purchase the Lineal Adjustable Base, which offers underbed illumination and head and foot support, to complement the mattress.
If this hybrid pick doesnt meet your needs or expectations, it can be returned within 180 nights of the home trial, at a pickup cost.
Firmness: Available in plush, luxury firm, and firm | Thickness: 11.5 inches | Type: Hybrid | Trial Length: 180 nights