Is Purple A Good Mattress For Couples
As we mentioned above, the feel of the purple mattress can be very divisive. Some people love it, and some people find it a little too weird. As such, this is the first hurdle that couples need to face. If one person in the relationship finds it too odd, you should probably look at our list for the Best Beds For Couples.
If both partners like the feel though, the Purple bed performs well in both motion isolation and edge support.
What Makes It Different From What Is It That Makes This Mattress Different From Usual Mattress
Purple comes in different sizes, including twin and California King. It also provides the famous cushioning that their unique fabrics provide. The Purple Grid is a foundational aspect of the features that make Purple an exceptional mattress since it functions similar to memory foam, however it provides a more responsive bounce. This layer is manufactured with a grid structure that permits airflow through the gaps between the foams, which regulates temperatures without degrading the overall cushion.
The mattresss construction is exemplary. Each mattress comes with 2-inches of Purple unique grid with an additional 3.5-inch polyfoam layer. This is supported by four inches of high-density polyfoam. which is a common feature in all foam mattresses, to give the entire cushion shape and shape.
The design is further enhanced by a polyester-viscose blend fabric that helps to regulate temperature and provides a great cooling sensation. The mattress should be around 9.25 inches tall and thick enough to fit most body shapes and suitable for most standard sheet sets.
In the terms of a layman, look for a mattress thats semi-firm for an affordable price, while also providing high-end materials and superior quality. Moreover, Purple comes with several distinct variants, such as the Hybrid or Hybrid Premier. Hybrid Premier. Mattresses that are accustomed to coil support can opt for these hybrids for a similar experience upgraded with Purples proprietary technology.
Does The Purple Mattress Need Special Sheets
Each model in the line of Purple mattresses performs best when used with stretchy and breathable sheets. This allows the gel grid top layer to flex more easily, providing better support and pressure relief. Any stretchy sheets will do, but Purple recommends using either the brands Purple Sheets or SoftStretch sheets.
You May Like: How Long Casper Mattress Inflate
Are Purple Mattresses Good
As mentioned, Purple has three core mattresses: The Purple Mattress, which is the brand’s original mattress, and the Purple Hybrid mattress and the newest Purple Hybrid Premier mattress. At half the price of the Hybrid mattress, the Purple Original is outstanding value for money. Made from foam, it gives you the best of Purple’s cutting-edge mattress technology at a very affordable $649.
Ramp that up to the next level, though, and you have the Purple Hybrid or Hybrid Premium mattress, which you can customize to provide superior sleep comfort and support for your body and postural needs.
All Purple mattresses use the company’s Purple Grid Technology. Essentially, this is a buckling column gel that dynamically flexes under pressure to support your body. It cradles and supports your shoulders and hips, and the open-grid design promotes airflow and dissipates body heat, so you shouldnt get too hot while you sleep. If you can grab one of these for less during a Purple mattress sale, don’t hesitate.
The Original Purple mattress is classified as a medium mattress, whereas the all-new Purple mattress ranges in firmness from medium-soft to medium-firm, depending on what you select.
What Are Some Complaints From Customers
These mattresses are heavy and a common customer complaint is that they can be difficult to move. Purple mattresses start at about 70 pounds and can go up to 202 pounds shipping weight for the Hybrid Premier California King. So, take advantage of the company’s free white- glove service and get help setting up the mattress in your home.
Besides complaints of the mattress being “too firm” for some, other issues can be a lack of edge support in the Original mattress . Also, you’ll be paying more for those high-tech materials than other foam mattresses.
Also Check: Can A Casper Mattress Go On A Box Spring
Should You Buy A Purple Mattress Deal
Purple mattresses are powered by Purple Grid Technology, designed to reduce pressure on high-impact areas of your body . This innovative setup boosts airflow and draws away excess heat, which is why Purple is also our top pick for the best cooling mattress.
While the Purple Original Mattress is the cheapest, its still infused with Purple Grid Technology, just like its more expensive siblings. Happily, all three are included in this months best Purple mattress deals and discounts.
Wed recommend jumping on these savings if you want a mattress that:
- Relieves pressure on your back and hips
- Is cooling all-night long
- Comes on a reasonably decent trial
- Offers free shipping and returns
- Comes with luxury free sleep gifts or a big cash discount
The trial period and warranty are still valid when you shop the best Purple mattress deals, so you wont miss any perks or coverage just because youre getting a cheaper price. The price of a Purple mattress without discounts is as follows:
- Purple Kids Mattress – $499
How Firm Is The Purple
We ranked the Purple around a 6.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale. The industry standard for medium firmness is 6.5, so this suggests the Purple is right around medium-firm.
That said, note that a sleepers perception of a beds firmness will vary a bit depending on their weight. In this case, heavier-weight sleepers might find that the original Purple feels softer, while light- and medium-weight folks might find it to be on the firmer side.
Read Also: Can Purple Mattress Go On A Box Spring
Edge Support Is Better With Purple Hybrid
This isnt something that you think about until youve slept on a new bed personally, but edge support is a big issue, especially for couples sleeping on a smaller bed.
If you end up sleeping along the edges of the mattress or just competing for space with your partner, youll appreciate the extra edge support on the new Purple beds.
Theyve added a reinforced border around the mattress to prevent the bed from compressing too much and giving you that roll off sensation. Edge support is just okay with the Original Purple Mattress, so its nice to see them upgrade the new beds here.
The Original Purple Mattress definitely still has a few areas where it excels.
Reasons To Avoid Purple
Purple is an ideal choice if you want cooling comfort and superior pressure relief. You can get up to $150 off Purple, today!
Don’t Miss: Casper Bed Foundation
Purple Hybrid Mattress Construction
The Purple Hybrid comes in three different models, each with a different thickness of the Purple Grid gel layer.
The Purple Hybrid is four layers thick and around 11 inches tall. Here’s a simple breakdown of the bed’s layers so you get an idea of what makes Purple, Purple:
- A thin slab of basic foam about an inch thick, which supports the thick pocketed coil layer above.
- A thick system of 7.5-inch pocketed coils, individually wrapped with fabric to help limit motion transfer across the mattress. It’s the main reason why this mattress is so supportive.
- A thin half an inch of foam to help neutralize the feel of the pocketed coils in the bed’s foundation.
- Around 2 inches of the brand’s special Hyper-Elastic Polymer, laid out in a grid formation. This is the primary layer that distinguishes it from the other two Purple Hybrid mattresses — each mattress has a different thickness of this layer. It’s bouncy, squishy, soft and provides most of the Purple’s comfort.
- Surrounding the edges are dense foam slabs to make the sides feel more supportive and sturdy.
On top is the Purple’s “StretchMax” cover, and just like the name implies, it’s extra-stretchy. I think it feels more breathable than your typical mattress cover and compare the feel more to an athletic antisweat undergarment than a soft cotton top.
The Hybrid Models Feature The Following:
- A thick and plush covering that adds a little extra coziness and sides wrapped with a material to create ultra-breathable” side panels.
- Pocketed coils, individual springs wrapped in fabric, provide responsive pressure support that complements the top polymer grid. According to Purples website, pocketed coils are not a new invention, but are a proven method of damping motion transfer and creating more airflow.
- A buffer of “transition foam” around the perimeter of the Purple grid, which provides a more stable and nested feel at the edge of the bed.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Mattress Pittsburgh
The Essential Purple Experience That Supports Your Back And Budget
- Two inches of breathable GelFlex Grid to cradle pressure points like hips and shoulders while keeping the rest of your body fully aligned.
- SoftFlex knit cover designed to let you feel the complete instant response of the GelFlex Grid.
- GelFlex Grid support paired with our two-layer original foam base to give you outstanding, soothing sleep.
|2â Hyper-Elastic Polymer material in Purple Grid Non-toxic polyethylene copolymer powder coating|
|Middle Layer||3.5â 1.8 lbs density polyurethane foam|
|Base Layer||4â 2.0 lbs density polyurethane foam|
|29% Viscose 67% Polyester 4% Lycra|
|Non-Slip Bottom||100% Polyester stitchbond with non-FR coating|
|Fire Retardant||Non-Toxic Knit Barrier|
|Basic Care||Spot clean with mild detergent . Machine wash/dry not recommended.|
What Size Sheets Will Fit A Queen Size Mattress
- Queen Fitted sheet: Most queen fitted sheets measure 60×80 inches, though exact dimensions can slightly vary. The average depth is 14 inches, though deep pocket versions are also available. Since fitted sheets have elastic corners to prevent sliding, its important to get a queen fitted sheet for your queen mattress.
- Queen Flat sheet: Dimensions of a queen flat sheet are approximately 90×105 inches. The exact dimensions vary by manufacturer. Theres a little more leeway when it comes to the dimensions of a queen flat sheet since it doesnt have elastic or need to fit as precisely as a queen fitted sheet. You can even use a full size or king size flat sheet with a queen mattress. It wont be exactly the right size, but it wont be too noticeable.
Still have questions? Ask a Sleep Expert:
Chat With Us
Recommended Reading: Dreamcloud Mattress Instructions
How To Transport A Queen Size Mattress
- Undress your mattress: Take everything off the mattress. Lift the mattress off the bed frame and box spring and put it on the floor.
- Bag your mattress: Get a plastic mattress bag and have someone help you slide it onto your mattress until its completely covered.
- Fold the Mattress: With a friend, get on either side of the mattress and fold it in half from top to bottom. While holding the mattress in a folded position, use some rope, bands, or ratchet straps to tie the mattress together. Once its tied, it will remain in its folded position. If you have a large moving truck, you may not need to fold the mattress .
Still have questions? Ask a Sleep Expert:
Sleeping On The Purple Mattress
The Purple felt like a fantastic match while back sleeping. The Purple Grid collapsed under our butts to provide some pressure relief, while the grid stayed upright everywhere else to create plenty of support.
Moving to our sides, we did experience some pressure relief around the hip and shoulder. However, note that lighter-weight folks might not experience as much pressure relief in this position.
The Purple mattress felt like a great match while we were stomach sleeping. It offers plenty of support, which keeps the hips elevated and aligned with the spine. It is actually one of the best mattresses for stomach sleepers and best mattresses for combination sleepers.
Don’t Miss: Mr Pillow Mattress Topper
Support & Motion Isolation
The flexible design of the Purple Gridâ¢ combined with layers of supportive foam absorbs movement incredibly well. The hybrid styles also do a great job at reducing motion transfer. In the Purple Hybrid and Hybrid Premier models, each individually wrapped coil is free to move independently. This ensures that movements on one side of the bed won’t be felt on the other.
Do Customers Think Its Worth It
The Original has a rating of 4.4 out of 5 over a staggering 29,620 verified customer reviews. The rating breakdown looks like this:
- 5 73% 21,648
- 2 4% 1,178
- 1 5% 1,407
Now, obviously, this data comes from the brands official site so could be manipulated but with the sheer number of reviews, we think these figures are worthwhile.
91% of reviewers gave the Purple Original 3 stars or more that seems like a very good satisfaction rating!
- 517 verified buyers used the phrase worth it when reviewing the Purple Original mattress.
- From searching the reviews, only 55 of the 29,620 reviews stated that they returned the product.
- From searching the 1 star reviews 110 people mentioned the word delivery , 395 reference the word worse usually regarding the mattress worsening their back or hip pain. That is still a very very low percentage of people having that experience but worth noting.
- On a positive note 4469 reviewers found the used the word better in their assessment, and 9589 used the word love!
We understand these are general points but they are useful for providing an overview of general customer interactions with the company.
You May Like: Wyoming King Bed Mattress
How Much Is A Purple Mattress
The Original Purple mattress is priced about average for the bed-in-a-box industry. Its very similar to popular bed-in-a-box mattresses like Casper and Nectar. It wouldnt be considered a budget tier mattress, nor would it be considered a luxury tier bed.
However, considering the special material this bed utilizes, we actually think the original Purple bed is a pretty good value. The Purple mattress price for a king size mattress comes in at $1,449. Heres how the price breaks down by other sizes:
Unfortunately, Purple doesnt regularly offer coupon codes or promo codes to make their mattresses cheaper. However, they will almost always throw in a gift with each mattress purchase. Be sure to check their website to see what promotion theyre currently offering.
Whats The Right Way To Unroll A Purple Mattress
You can watch a video on what the mattress should look like when it’s fully expanded and rolled out on your bed. But to unroll a Purple mattress, place the mattress on your bed horizontally, cut the first layer of plastic off, unroll the mattress, and then cut off the final layer of plastic, allowing it to expand.
There’s also a video onhow the Purple mattress gets rolled up for shipping.
Don’t Miss: Does Casper Need A Box Spring
My Favorite Things About The Purple Mattress
I really like how pressure-relieving this bed is. If you suffer from pain concerns, this bed is a great option, as it provides a unique floating feeling that should help reduce pain. I also like how responsive this bed is. If youre worried about feeling stuck in your mattress, youll be happy on this buoyant bed. I also love how cool this bed sleeps the Purple grid is aerated, which means it creates lots of breathability. Finally, I think this bed comes at a really great price.
You Might Not Like The Purple Mattress If:
- You’re in the market for a standard, run-of-the-mill foam mattress.
- You can’t spend over $1,000 on a queen or king bed.
- You have a larger body type. Purple offers three hybrid mattresses that will offer more durability, comfort, and support in the long run.
- You’re looking for an extra plush or an extra firm bed. Purple lands right in between firm and soft.
Recommended Reading: Who Sells Wyoming King Mattress
Who Will And Who Won’t Like The Purple Hybrid
You came to this Purple Hybrid review for answers and we’re here to give them to you. Here are the types of people we would and wouldn’t recommend the Purple Hybrid to.
Who might like the Purple Hybrid:
- All body types, but especially sleepers over 230 pounds who need extra support
- Hot sleepers looking for a super-breathable mattress
- People who like light, airy-feeling beds
- Anyone open to try a new, unique type of mattress
- Back, stomach, and combination sleepers
Who might not like Purple Hybrid:
- People on a tight budget
- Individuals looking for a really soft bed, like petite side sleepers
- Shoppers who want a regular ol’ foam bed
How To Unboxhow Much Does A Purple King Size Mattress Cost
The Bear Hybrid is a bed-in-a-box mattress, which suggests it will come compressed and provided straight to you.
You will wish to begin by getting rid of the rolled up Bear Hybrid from its box, and after that, preferably with another individuals assistance, position the roll on your bed.
Carefully get rid of the first layers of plastic up until the still-compact can be put down flat, and after that pierce through the last layer of plastic and the Bear Hybrid will expand.
Simply remove the excess plastic and allow the mattress to breathe and totally expand.
Read Also: Is Restonic A Good Mattress
Also Check: Who Sells Wyoming King Mattress