How To Find The Right Mattress For Stomach Sleeping
Though stomach sleeping alone is unhealthy for your spine, your mattress can actually contribute to the aches and pains that stomach sleeping may cause. Before buying a new mattress, there are a few critical things stomach sleepers need to consider to find the right mattress for their specific sleep needs, including the materials inside of the mattress, the beds firmness, its spine support features, and their own body type.
Exactly How Do I Choose The Very Best Mattress Model
Consider your sleep style. Is A Firm Mattress Best For Your Back
The goal is to maintain your spinal column in neutral positioning, so there should be much less tension on the stress points like your shoulders, hips, and also knees.
Heres what you require to understand:.
Stomach sleepers need a firm mattress model.
Side sleepers ought to go with a softer surface.
Back sleepers fall somewhere in between at a medium firmness.
Is Sleeping On Your Stomach Bad For You
You may have heard that sleeping on your stomach is bad for you. While its true that sleeping on your stomach isnt as good for your spine as sleeping on your back or side, the best type of sleep is deep sleep.
If sleeping in other positions means that youre not able to achieve deep sleep and enter the REM sleep cycle, sleeping on your stomach might be the better position for you.
The best way to protect your spine and prevent back pain is to sleep with your spine in a position that encourages a neutral curve.
- Return policy: 100-day trial
Price: $$$Charles P. Rogers offers an eight-layer comfort system that includes latex foam and a highly responsive spring system. Its flippable to provide different firmness options, and it comes with a billowy, removable pillow topper for added comfort.Considerations: The combination of firmness options and highly responsive springs make this a good buy if you switch from stomach to side in your sleep, or if you and your partner have different sleeping preferences.
Recommended Reading: What Size Is A Trundle Mattress
Best Mattresses For Side And Stomach Sleepers
Everyone sleeps in a different way. So when it comes to mattresses, theres no one-size-fits all answer.
Having the wrong mattress for your sleeping style could lead to sleepless nights or annoying back pain. But the good news is that theres plenty of choice out there today, so with a little bit of research youre sure to find your perfect fit.
Here we take a look at the best mattress types for side and stomach sleepers. Read on to find out how you can get the sound nights sleep youve been looking for.
What Mattress Is Best For Stomach Sleepers With Back Pain
Firm mattresses for stomach sleeping keep the hips and abdomen from sinking too far into the bed, which can cause back pain. Many firm spring mattresses feature responsive coils that buoy a sleepers torso, while foam mattresses may have stiff transition and support layers to keep a persons spine from bowing too far into the bed. Still, back pain is a known risk of stomach sleeping often, the best way to prevent it is by switching positions.
Don’t Miss: What Is A Crib Mattress Size
Best Mattresses For Stomach Sleepers Of 2021
- Editors Pick Helix Dawn
- Best Mattress for Stomach Sleepers with Back Pain Saatva
- Best Mattress for Heavy People WinkBed Plus
- Best Hybrid Mattress DreamCloud
- Best Firm Mattress for Stomach Sleepers Brooklyn Bedding Plank
- Best Mattress for Side and Stomach Sleepers Layla Hybrid
- Best Cooling Mattress Leesa
- Best Foam Mattress for Stomach Sleepers Casper
What Is The Best Type Of Mattress For Stomach Sleepers
There are many mattress types and several mattresses that will achieve both the great support and correct firmness range for stomach sleepers. Consider the different varieties of mattresses below:
The best mattresses for stomach sleepers are:
- Foam mattresses
- Innerspring mattresses
- Hybrid mattresses
Learn more about the different kinds of Mattress Support Cores.
Note: Stomach sleepers should consider a medium to medium firm to firm mattress with a firmness level of 5 to 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the firmest. And, they should also consider starting with at least a 1 inch layer of a soft top comfort layer.
- High-density foam layers for support
- Combination of foam layers used for both support and comfort
- High-density foam layers for comfort
- Cooling technology to avoid heat trapping
- Consistent support and medium to medium-firm firmness level for stomach sleepers
- Elasticity of memory foam allows mattress to bounce back to original position
- Excellent conformity and relief for pressure points
- Consider thinner comfort layers to prevent sinking down into mattress for stomach sleepers
A few other kinds of mattresses stomach sleepers can consider are latex and adjustable air mattresses.
Adjustable air mattress
You May Like: How Often Should You Get New Mattress
Best Mattress Model For Couples
Puffy mattress holds several honors, consisting of the Most Comfortable Mattress of 2020.
Made in the U.S.A., the Puffy Lux is Puffys most popular selling mattress.
For memory foam fans who desire both luscious comfort and durable support, Puffys high-end mattress model the Puffy Lux may be your next bedroom buy.
This USA-made mattress consists of 4 layers of various foam that intend to melt the stress and also strain from the bodys pressure points.
Because of its terrific motion isolation and also great sleeping experience, it has actually been elected the most effective mattress for couples.
Mattress Kind: All foam
Customer Rating: 4.9 out of 5
Test Periods for Returns: 101 evenings
Correctional Mattress For Stomach Sleepers
Its widely recognized that sleeping on your stomach is the worst possible sleeping option. Thats because sleeping on your stomach creates a series of pressure points along your back and hips. These pressure points can throw your body out of alignment while you sleep. This causes lots of tossing and turning at night, as well as back, neck, hip, and knee pain in the morning and through the day.
Thats why many stomach sleepers look for a mattress to correct their sleeping position. Its also why we recommend many mattresses that are designed for all sleep styles to stomach sleepers. After all, you dont want to have to drop more money on a mattress because youve successfully changed your sleeping position, causing your current mattress to lose support or be uncomfortable.
Its important to keep in mind that you should never try to do anything like this without consulting the relevant medical professionals. Thats even more true if you have issues like snoring or sleep apnea that youre trying to deal with.
Additionally, mattresses that are designed to support all sleep styles are usually better at providing the support that stomach sleepers need to change their sleeping position. One of the major factors that causes someone to sleep on their stomach is a lack of support for their back and hips where they need it. As a result, changing how youre sleeping depends on making sure you get the right support, and all-sleep-styles mattresses are the best option for that.
Also Check: How Much Is A Casper Twin Mattress
Best Mattresses For Stomach Sleepers: Buyers Guide
Purchasing a new mattress can feel overwhelming for anyone, but there are unique factors that stomach sleepers especially need to consider before buying a mattress online. There are benefits to sleeping on your stomach, but it can put a lot of pressure on your neck, back, and nerves. Well cover which mattress type is best, what features to look for, and other factors to keep in mind when shopping for a mattress.
What To Look For In The Best Mattress For Stomach Sleepers
Before we get to our stomach sleeper mattress showcase, lets run through some of the mattress basics that can help you get a good nights rest. According to the Mayo Clinic, sleeping on your stomach is especially hard on your back, so you need a mattress that supports your curves and prevents your spine from sinking out of alignment. Youll not only sleep better throughout the night, but you should also notice better posture throughout the daynot to mention the fact that youll probably wake up with fewer aches and pains in the morning.
As Dr. Breus notes, For stomach sleepers its all about getting the right support layer that meets their personal needs for spinal alignment, once that part has been decided upon the rest is all about comfort.
If youre a stomach sleeper, the mattress you choose will have to work a little harder to alleviate the pressure on your muscles and joints. So, what characteristics should you look for when picking the perfect mattress for you? Weve broken them down below.
Quick bonus tips: Whatever mattress you land on, try using a thin pillow or even no pillow at all. The flatter the pillow, the more your neck stays aligned with your spine and prevents upper shoulder pain. This also removes the downward pressure your angled head would otherwise put against your neck.
Also Check: Does Mattress Firm Take Old Mattress
Worst Mattresses For Stomach Sleepers
The worst mattresses for stomach sleepers are softer, less supportive, and more prone to sagging under the weight of the torso. Too much sinkage can throw the spine out of alignment and increase muscle and joint pain.
To help prevent poor alignment and discomfort, stomach-sleepers may want to avoid the following:
- A mattress with a deep pillow-top. A cushiony outer layer can feel plush and cozy to sink into, but is more likely to cause a painful curvature of the neck and spine. A thick pillow-top could also make breathing more difficult
- A mattress made of softer memory foam. Stomach-sleepers are more likely to shift and change position during the night, which could be more difficult on a less-firm memory foam
- A hyperelastic polymer mattress. These mattresses typically have open cells of relatively bouncy material and a resilient feel. Hyperelastic polymer is responsive, making it easier to change positions, but may not offer the pressure relief and firmness that most stomach sleepers need
What Makes The Birch By Helix Stand Out
- Lying on the Birch, we get excellent support under our hips. We dont feel any bowing or falling out of alignment.
- Its breathable materials make it a good option for stomach sleepers who sleep hot. The Talalay latex is also an extremely durable material, so it shouldnt sag even after years of use.
- The Birch is moderately priced, so stomach sleepers are getting a fantastic value.
Read our fullBirch by Helix mattress review.
Also Check: Where To Lay On A Purple Mattress
The Best Mattress Types For Stomach Sleepers
The best mattresses for sleeping on your stomach need to contour to the body while providing adequate support. Stomach sleepers often prefer memory foam mattresses because of their excellent contouring properties and the support they provide.
Below weve listed the four main types of mattress along with their pros and cons so you can get a good idea of the bed you need:
|Type of Mattress
|A combination of good support and pressure point reliefGreat contouring properties for stomach sleepersGenerally offers a cool sleep
|Poor durability if constructed from weaker materials such as low-grade polyfoam, which could be a big problem for stomach sleepersCan be expensive, depending on the construction
Motion Isolation And Edge Support
All these reviewed models here have been chosen for their ability to offer motion isolation. This refers to how well a mattress can absorb or isolate any motion. If you sleep with a partner, motion isolation will ensure that you dont disturb one another as you move around the bed or get up when the other one is asleep. Memory foam is well known for offering contouring qualities, and therefore generous edge support.
Recommended Reading: How Often Should A Bed Mattress Be Replaced
Best Mattress For Stomach Sleepers: How To Choose And What To Look For
Lying on your belly runs the risk of damaging your spine. Here’s how to choose the best mattress for stomach sleeping
ByTom MayLast updated 2021-06-11T10:47:42.208Z
Looking for the best mattress for stomach sleepers is? With many mattress companies claiming their products are ‘perfect for all styles of sleeping’, it can be difficult to know what to look for. We’re here to help with that. Once you’ve read our tips, head to our general best mattress or best memory foam mattress guides to make your selection.
If you’re a stomach sleeper also known as a prone sleeper, front sleeper, or belly sleeper we have some not-great news. Firstly, many experts generally believe that stomach sleeping is not the best sleeping position in general, as it can put undue strain on your neck and back.
- Stretch it out on one of the best yoga mats
- When you cant afford a new mattress? Mattress toppers are good plan B
- Check out our selection of the best best duvets so youre season-ready
That said, if youre not pregnant, youre not currently experiencing pain, and you honestly find you just cant sleep any other way, then sticking to stomach sleeping may be the least-worst option, at least for now. After all, lack of sleep is in itself a major threat to your health and wellbeing.
Assuming you do decide to continue stomach sleeping, youll at least want to minimise the potential damage to your body. Read on and well explain how to choose the best mattress for stomach sleepers.
Does Firmness Describe Support
In a word, no. Firmness and support are two different things. Mattresses at any level of firmness can offer support, but in part, that depends on your sleeping position. It also depends on what you find comfortable and other factors like your weight. However, given that so many mattress choices are online, purchases that you cant try ahead, it warrants knowing ahead what you will most likely find both comfortable and supportive.
Recommended Reading: What Type Mattress Is Best For Lower Back Pain
What About Mattress Support
After firmness, support may be the most important concern for stomach sleepers. Support describes the uniformity of the mattress surface and the way it conforms to the body. Sound support will help to bolster the lumbar region, lift the hips, and reduce tension in the neck and shoulders.
To find a bed with solid support, consider the following:
- Firmness doesnt always equal support, so pay attention to materials and construction. Hybrid beds utilize both foam and pocketed coils, and typically offer the most well-rounded support
- When you try out a bed, make sure your hips and shoulders arent sinking out of alignment. Give your body a few minutes to settle before deciding if the support feels right
- Focus less on the comfort layers and more on the support sections. Pillow-tops can be tantalizing, but stomach sleepers need to feel whats going on underneath
The Best Mattress For Sleeping On Your Side
The best mattress for side-sleepers is a pocket sprung mattress, with a deep comfort layer on top. The deeper the comfort layer, the better! A nice thick layer will contour to your unique shape, so you can sleep on your side comfortably.
These types of mattresses – often called hybrid mattresses – reduce pressure on your hips and shoulders. They help prevent unwanted problems often associated with side-sleeping, including strain on the lower back, pressure point pain and arm numbness.
Sleeping on your side is one of the most common sleeping positions. It’s an excellent position for pregnant women, as well as those suffering from heartburn and digestive difficulties.
- Memory foam
- A memory foam mattress provides excellent pressure relief and gently contours to your body shape. You’ll get highly personalised care for your shoulders and hips.
- A gel mattress will give you optimal comfort without the “sinking” feeling you may find with other foam-based mattresses. They’re also renowned for being incredibly breathable and cooling.
Also Check: How Long Does A Typical Mattress Last
What Makes The Casper Stand Out
- The mattress has a balanced foam feel thats soft but also responsive.
- The Casper features open-celled foams that wont trap as much heat as other types of foam. This helps make it a cooler-sleeping mattress.
- Casper offers other models like the Casper Hybrid, Wave, and Wave Hybrid, all of which should appeal to different types of sleepers.
Read our fullCasper mattress review.
Why Does My Back Hurt After Waking Up
If your back hurts upon waking, its probably due to your sleeping position. If your spine falls out of alignment or is arched throughout the night, youll wake up with aches, stiffness, and soreness. Try side sleeping with a body pillow to remain in alignment all night. Over time, you should begin to wake up feeling pain-free.
You May Like: What To Put Under Mattress On Bunk Bed
What Makes The Saatva Stand Out
- When we tested the Saatva, we didnt feel much sinkage in the hips, so it should support great alignment to keep stomach sleepers comfortable.
- The Saatva also does a great job of supporting combination sleepers who move around at night.
- The Saatva should be one of the cooler-sleeping mattresses on this list. The cover is especially breathable, and the coils promote airflow through the mattress.
Read our fullSaatva mattress review.
Best Memory Foam Mattress For Stomach Sleepers
- Mattress type: foam
- Trial period: 100-night sleep trial
What has over 21,000 5-star reviews, is made of pressure-relieving foam, and is easy on the wallet? This guy!
The T& N Original mattress is made from Certipur US, GREENGUARD Gold-certified foam, which means its free and clear of nasty chemicals. Its also got Interteks Clean Air seal of approval. Now THATs what wed call some high quality foam.
Its known for its body-contouring and pressure-relieving qualities and its firmer foam base is specifically designed to keep back and stomach sleepers from sinking in. Its nice to feel supported, isnt it?
Reviewers like the budget-friendly price and comfy feel.
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Beautyrest Recharge Mattress