Coop Home Goods Premium Adjustable Loft Pillow
Customer rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Many people are mostly side sleepers who also sleep on their backs or stomachs at varying points during the night. If thats you, you might appreciate that this pillow lets you choose the amount of fill youre most comfortable with, allowing you to individualize firmness and height.
It comes stuffed with the amount of fill recommended for side sleepers. It also comes with an extra 1/2-pound bag of hypoallergenic memory foam fill, so you can tailor the pillows loft to whats comfortable for you. You can easily adjust this pillow to accommodate a combination of sleeping positions. This makes it a good choice for stomach sleepers as well.
It has a removable outer cover thats easy to machine wash. Plus, it comes with a 5-year warranty.
What Makes The Tuft & Needle Pillow Stand Out
- It doesnt sag overnight. The Tuft & Needles foam construction allows it to keep its shape overnight. This is important for people with neck pain who rely on a pillow that keeps its shape and proper loft.
- It has a responsive feel. While it is made of foam, this pillow still has some bounce to it. You shouldnt feel stuck when moving around on the Tuft & Needle.
- Its priced at an excellent value. Its Standard price is $85 and its King price is $105 without discounts.
Best Cooling Pillow For Side Sleepers
Leesa Hybrid Pillow
The Leesa Hybrid Pillow is made with a cooling, ventilated gel layer and polyester microfiber to keep you cool all night. Its both adjustable and reversible for double-sided comfort. A removable insert between the quilted outer layer and cooling gel layer lets you customize support, so you sleep comfortably on your side and back.
Leesa offers a 30-day trial and a 3-year limited warranty.
How Can Side Sleepers Rest More Comfortably
Side sleeping is comfortable for most people, so its no wonder this is among the most popular sleeping positions. However, sleeping on one side for too long can result in pressure build-up and soreness. Heres what you can do to prevent these issues from happening.
Find a Good Mattress
Side sleepers typically need a mattress with a medium-range firmness. A bed thats too soft would let the body sink in too deeply, whereas a bed thats too firm would cause pressure build-up on the shoulders, hips, and knees. A good mattress makes all the difference in your sleep quality, especially if you rarely switch sides. The right mattress includes quality materials that will help deliver critical pressure relief and support. Weight is also an important consideration when mattress shopping. While most average-size sleepers would do best with medium-firm beds, lightweight side sleepers can utilize softer beds.
Use a Topper
If you already have a mattress youre unwilling to replace, you can add a topper to modify how it feels. If your bed is too firm or no longer as supportive, adding a foam topper could make a significant difference. Mattress toppers are available in many sizes and firmness levels to fit all sleeping positions, including side sleeping.
Place a Pillow Between the Knees
Does Your Mattress Make A Difference In Your Pillow Choice As A Side Sleeper
The short answer is yes. “In order to maintain your head and neck in neutral alignment, you will want to consider your mattress type when selecting your pillow,” says Dautovich. “If you have a softer mattress, you’re more likely to sink compared to a firmer mattress.” Be sure to choose a pillow that will fill the gap between your head and the mattress. If you have a softer mattress, this may mean choosing a thicker pillow.
Recommended Reading: How Much Does It Cost To Remove A Mattress
How We Chose The Best Pillows
Choosing where to rest your head for the next few years is a big decision. Heres how we narrowed down the best of the best:
- Reviews. You know a pillow is good when people are lining up to rave about it without getting anything free for doing it. We sifted through the piles of pillows and pages of reviews to find products that real customers genuinely love.
- Variety. Side sleeper? Back sleeper? Regular neck pain? Whether you need to accommodate that crick in your neck or breastfeed your bb, we have options that will take you through all walks of life, from day to night.
- Company rep. Is this company legit? We only feature companies that make it through our vetting process, which is designed to catch unsupported health claims, safety concerns, or shady business practices.
- Warranty and sleep trial. This is one sitch where trying before you buy is clutch. We prioritized products that let you sleep on your purchase , often for months before you commit. We also looked for products that offer warranties in case anything goes wrong.
- Height: 7, 10, or 12 inches
- Size: 24 x 24 in.
- Fill: memory foam
- Firmness: medium-firm
You get 30 days to try it at home, which is shorter than others out there but it also doesnt cost as much as competitors.
Why You Can Trust Us
Our expert team includes product testers and researchers who bring years of experience to our guides and reviews. We also cover a wide range of body types and sleep positions to ensure every type of sleeper is represented. To select the best pillows for side sleepers, we heavily relied on feedback from testers who exclusively or primarily use the side position. However, we also sought input from back, stomach, and combination sleepers to make our recommendations as comprehensive as possible.
Don’t Miss: Can A Full Mattress Fit On A Queen Frame
Why Trust Good Housekeeping
Lexie Sachs is the Executive Director of the Textiles, Paper & Apparel Lab at the Good Housekeeping Institute. She has a Bachelor of Science degree in Fiber Science from Cornell University and more than 15 years experience in the textiles industry, including merchandising and product development for home products. Lexie joined Good Housekeeping in 2013 and has extensively tested all types of beddingincluding mattresses, sheets, pillows, comforters and more using specialized lab equipment and with hundreds of testers.
See Why Thousands Choose Spinealign
My name is Anthony and I am a medical massage practitioner. I started using the SpineAlign Pillow 2 months ago because I wasnt sleeping and was having chronic headaches. Dr. Loth recommended the pillow and since then my headaches have gone away and I fall asleep within minutes of going to bed and stay asleep through the night….
The spine align pillow is a dream pillow for my neck. Its soft, supportive, and contours to my head and neck keeping my spine aligned. Ive been experiencing neck pain and discomfort for years and contribute it largely to how I sleep. One bad night sleep, with my neck out of whack, and Im painful, with headaches.
I have a deformed spine and wore a back brace as an adolescent, and back and neck pain was a regular part of my day. Since I started using the SpineAlign Pillow, I have eliminated the neck pain. Dr. Loth also taught me some techniques on how to keep stress off my lower back, and I have had far less back pain this past year as a result. I highly recommend!
Also Check: How To Make A Homemade Mattress
What Is The Best Pillow Positioning For Neck Pain
Sleep experts recommend either back or side sleeping if you experience neck pain. Sleeping on your stomach causes your head to bend at a sharp angle and arches your spine, which puts unwanted pressure on your neck. If you strictly sleep on your stomach, you should choose a pillow with a low loft to minimize pressure.
For best results, back and side sleepers should ensure that their head, neck, and top of the spine form a straight line. Sleeping with a pillow thats too high or too low can cause aches and pains. Likewise, sleeping with your head rolled to one side or the other is also likely to cause neck pain.
Why Its Good For Side Sleepers
- The foam contours nicely to the head and neck, promoting spinal alignment.
- Its adjustable, so sleepers can choose the right comfort level for them.
- Its polyester fiber provides support for sleepers.
Price: $65$85 with a 365-night trial.
Our full review for the Brooklinen Marlow pillow is coming soon!
With a classic memory foam feel, this latest pillow from Brooklinen should give side sleepers plenty of contouring and pressure relief.
Recommended Reading: Is Pillow Top Mattress Good
What Pillow Sizes Are Available
Pillows come in a variety of sizes to fit beds of different sizes and people of different body weights and sleeping habits. Pillow size can be as important as firmness and loft when it comes to finding the pillow that best fits you.
- Standard: Standard pillows measure 20 inches wide by 26 inches long. Standard pillows are the smallest, and therefore the least expensive, pillows on the market today. They are also the most commonly sold pillows.
- Super Standard: Super Standard pillows measure 20 inches wide by 28 inches long. Like standard pillows, they are usually used one per twin or full bed, and two per larger bed. Super Standard pillows provide 2 more inches of length for sleepers who need it due to head size, body weight, or propensity to move during the night.
- Queen: Queen pillows measure 20 inches wide by 30 inches long, 2 inches longer than Super Standard pillows. Queen pillows give extra room to sleepers who tend to toss and turn throughout the night or find themselves slipping off of smaller pillows.
- King: King pillows measure 20 inches wide by 36 inches long. King pillows are much larger than most pillows, measuring 10 inches longer than standard pillows and 6 inches longer than queen pillows. King pillows work well with king beds and larger sleepers.
- Body Pillow: Body pillow dimensions vary, though 48 or 54 inches wide by 20 inches long are common sizes. Body pillows are meant to be hugged. Side sleepers and pregnant women tend to most enjoy them.
Pregnancy & Side Sleepers
Side sleeping is considered the best position for pregnant women. If you or your partner is pregnant, consider buying a C-shape body-length pillow as it has been determined to deliver enhanced support for the mother and her baby. That being said, regular-shaped pillows can also lend support to expectant mothers sleeping on their side, while also being useful post-pregnancy if the mother then wants to sleep in a different position.
Recommended Reading: Can A New Mattress Help Sciatica
What To Look For In A Pillow
Certain pillow qualities have a bigger impact on comfort and support than others.
Type and Material
The type and quality of materials used determines the feel and function of a pillow. Down, cotton, and microfiber clusters yield a fluffier pillow, while memory foam and latex models have more structure.
Pillows made with synthetic materials are sometimes less breathable and durable than their natural counterparts. If you have allergies, you should approach latex and down models with caution.
Height or Loft
A pillows relative thickness is critical for support and proper spine alignment. Each sleep position has different loft needs in order to reinforce good sleep posture. Body weight and frame also influence loft preferences.
Low loft pillows are typically less than 3 inches thick. Medium loft designs are between 3 and 5 inches, while high loft pillows are taller.
Firmness indicates a pillows feel and relative support. Softer pillows allow the head and shoulders to sink more than firmer models.
Some pillows boast special features to enhance comfort. If you tend to overheat at night, you might want to consider pillows with gel infusions, open-cell foam, copper fibers, and other cooling technologies. If you have allergies or asthma, you may benefit from pillows with antimicrobial treatments. Materials like latex and cotton can also help, as they naturally resist allergen triggers.
What Pillow Materials Are Best For Side Sleepers
Based on our hands-on tests, weve noticed that the best pillow fill materials for side sleepers include memory foam, latex, buckwheat hulls, and other components that offer sufficient support without feeling too firm. However, the amount of comfort a pillow offers side sleepers depends on a few other factors. The most common pillow materials are outlined below.
Recommended Reading: How Are Beautyrest Mattresses Rated
Coop Home Goods Original Loft Pillow
We recommended this pillow for side sleepers in our general guide to pillows for its adaptive qualities: You can add or remove the memory foam fill to adjust the thickness and firmness. All you have to do is unzip the outer case and liner to access the fill. The pillow has an average rating of 4.5 stars from over 49,000 reviews on Amazon. The company also offers a 30-day return policy.
Best Pillows For Side Sleepers
- ValueYou’re looking for the best combination of quality and price.
- BudgetYou’re on a tight budget and avoid compromise as much as you can.
- TraditionalYou’re looking for a traditional pillow shape but that still caters to side sleeping.
- CoolingStaying cool is your number 1 priority.
- CervicalYou’re looking for the best support around from your shoulders to your head.
Recommended Reading: How Often Should You Get New Mattress
How We Chose Our Products
Our team of sleep specialists tested many pillows currently on the market, using proprietary analysis and hands-on testing to find the best of the best for our readers. When building our roundup for the best pillows for side sleepers, we paid special attention to support, durability, loft, and quality of materials.
Pillows made for side-sleeping require different attributes than pillows made for other positions like stomach-sleeping, so we made sure to keep this in mind when it came to selecting pillows with a proper loft. Additionally, we featured pillows that should maintain their support and durability through the night to keep your spine properly aligned. Lastly, we wanted to place an emphasis on pillows featuring quality materials.
For more, we encourage you to check out our Buyers Guide at the bottom of the page. There we take a deeper dive into all of these attributes so you can make the most informed purchase possible.
Best Cooling Pillow For Back Sleepers
Coop Home Goods Eden
The case is derived from sustainable bamboo, while a wide gusset adds airflow and structure. And because its adjustable, you can find the right level of support for your preferred sleeping positions. Every pillow comes with a half-pound bag of filler and has a 5-year warranty.
Its very well-reviewed, with over 2,000 customers raving about softness and support.
As you research options for the best pillows for back and side sleepers, heres what to consider.
Also Check: How To Clean Urine From Tempur Pedic Mattress
How To Get A Good Night’s Sleep
Not getting enough zzzs? Our sleep expert shares tips on how to fall asleep faster and wake up more rested in the video below. And check out CRs sleep guide for more advice on how to get the shut-eye you craveand need.
Editors Note: A version of this article also appeared in the February 2016 issue of Consumer Reports magazine.
How We Evaluated These Pillows
Our hands-on testing process involves each person lying on the pillow for several minutes to evaluate support, pressure relief, and other qualities. While these particular evaluations focused on side sleeping, we asked the testers to change positions to see if the pillow felt more or less comfortable. We also test pillows for temperature control, shape retention, odor potential, and other factors that dont impact your sleep position. The top picks listed above reflect pillows that earned the most favorable ratings during these tests.
Also Check: Can I Put A Mattress Out For Garbage
The Best Pillows For 2022 Are:
- Best overall Soak& Sleep 100% Canadian goose down standard chamber pillow: £195, Soakandsleep.com
- Best memory foam support Nectar a whole nights sleep adjustable memory foam pillow: £56.43, Nectarsleep.co.uk
- Best soft feel eve the fluffable feather pillow: £79, Evesleep.co.uk
- Best supportiveness Brook + Wilde perla hybrid pillow: £249, Brookandwilde.com
- Best adjustability Simba hybrid pillow: £81.75, Simbasleep.com
- Best wool-stuffed pillow Woolroom chatsworth collection washable wool pillow standard: £74.99, Thewoolroom.com
- Best for front-sleepers Scooms Hungarian goose down pillow standard: £80, Scooms.com
- Best wedge-shaped pillow eve the wedge microfibre pillow: £39, Evesleep.co.uk
- Best hypoallergenic pillow Woolroom classic wool pillow: £52.99, Thewoolroom.com
- Best temperature regulating pillow Otty deluxe gel pillow: £44.99, Otty.com
Match Your Pillow To Your Sleep Position
Start your search by matching the pillow to your dominant sleep position: side, back, stomach, or combination. Thats the position you settle into and is likely to be your favorite, says Rebecca Robbins, PhD, an instructor at the Harvard Medical School and co-author of Sleep for Success! . Many pillows are now labeled this way, but the terms vary from brand to brand.
Use our advice to fine-tune your shopping. And make sure to check pillow return policies, so you dont get stuck with a closet full of rejects.
Almost 70 percent of us sleep on our side, according to a Consumer Reports survey. A firm or extra-firm pillow is the best pillow for side sleepers. It maintains the proper alignment, or curve of the neck and head, at the most comfortable heightwhich, according to a 2015 study in the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, is 10 centimeters . Either a traditional or contoured pillow in memory foam or latex can support your head at the proper angle without flattening as quickly over time when compared with a polyester or down pillow.
The best pillow for back sleepers supports or cradles your head without losing the natural curve of your neck. Start with medium-loft, medium-firm models filled with a down alternative, memory foam, or latex foam.
Don’t Miss: Is A Memory Foam Mattress Bad For Your Back