Know Your Sleep Position
Knowing your sleeping position will help you choose the right type of mattress.
- Back sleepers often prefer the balance of firmness and cushioning of innerspring and hybrid mattresses.
Once you’ve narrowed down what mattress material you want, you can find one that fits within your price range.
Cost Factors For Latex Mattresses
The price of a latex mattress is often determined by the following factors:
- Latex in mattresses is produced using one of two processes. The Dunlop process produces denser and heavier latex that is most often used in support cores. The Talalay process produces lighter and less dense latex that is typically used in comfort layers. Talalay latex tends to be more expensive than Dunlop latex, but some mattresses contain both.
- The price of a latex mattress will also depend on whether natural or synthetic latex is used. Natural latex is extracted from rubber trees and produced without fillers using either the Dunlop or Talalay process. Synthetic latex, on the other hand, is entirely manmade, but is still processed using the Talalay or Dunlop method. The differences in firmness and feel between natural and synthetic latex are negotiable. However, sleepers are much more susceptible to allergic reactions on natural latex.
- An important distinction for shoppers is the difference between natural latex and 100% natural latex the latter does not contain any fillers whatsoever, while the former may not be entirely natural. In some cases, mattresses sold as natural latex are actually made of mostly synthetic latex.
What Else Affects The Total Cost Of A Mattress
The price of the mattress is determined by materials, production technology, brand, and special features it has. However, there are also the not so obvious, the so-called hidden factors that can also make a mattress more or less expensive.
As you can see, the price of the mattress is a quite complex and controversial thing Now you know more about the costs on the market and things that determine them, so why not talk about the pricing policies of particular manufacturers?
Read Also: How Much Is The Puffy Mattress
Other Factors That Impact Mattress Price
There are a number of other factors that may affect the cost of a mattress, regardless of the type of bed it is. Here are some additional things to consider when it comes to the final price of your bed:
Shipping costs: While many manufacturers will give you free delivery when you order a mattress for them, some will charge a shipping fee. If you live in offshore U.S. territories, Hawaii, or Alaska, you can definitely expect to pay some additional shipping costs. For manufacturers that dont offer free shipping with their beds, you can expect to pay $100 or more.
Returns: If you end up returning your mattress, you might have to pay a fee. Most online mattress companies offer sleep trials that allow customers to test out their bed before deciding whether to keep it. A lot of these trials come with fees for shipping and handling, so make sure you check the fine print in the company policy before you buy.
White Glove delivery: A high percentage of mattress manufacturers offer a service called White Glove delivery. This includes in-home assembly of your new mattress and packaging waste removal. This can cost anywhere from $99 on up.
Foundations: Depending on whether you need to buy a mattress foundation and what type you select, this could add quite a bit to your final bed price. Most mattresses will have options for foundations under the same brand name and these can cost anywhere from $150 on up.
What Makes A Quality Hybrid Mattress
Before purchasing a new hybrid bed, these are the top qualities to look for:
- Coil count: Most hybrid mattresses are made with a pocketed coil system, which is incredibly high-quality and durable. However, you still need to worry about coil count. Ideally, you should look for a coil count of 600 to 1,000 when it comes to hybrid mattresses.
- Foam density: Hybrid mattresses have a combination of coils and comfort layers made of polyfoam. When buying a high-quality hybrid mattress, you’ll want to look out for a foam density of 4 or 5 pounds per cubic foot. This will ensure your mattress lasts longer overall.
- Special features: Since hybrid mattresses fall at the higher end of the price spectrum, many of them come with special features. You can commonly find hybrid mattresses with memory foam comfort layers or a soft pillow top.
What About Kids’ Mattress Costs
The cost of a mattress for children will vary greatly depending on the size of the mattress, and whether it’s made for a bed or crib. Kids’ beds tend to be on the twin or single size and made from breathable materials such as wool to wick away sweat for a cool and comfy kip.
If you’re unsure of the mattress cost for your little mini-mes, take a look at the best crib mattresses that ensure baby’s safety and comfort are priority. Or, if there a bit older, consider reading our Rem-Fit Remy Kidz mattress review .
And, not forgetting our furry kids, if you’re a pet mom or dad, be sure to look at our best pet mattresses so they don’t miss out on a superior snooze too.
Finding The Right Mattress Is So Worth It
We spend of our lives sleeping. Thats a lot of time spent in misery if youre sleeping on a bad mattress. So, invest in yourself and take the time to consider your options based on your specific requirements. Be patient with the process. Remember, a good nights sleep awaits. And beyond that, good health.
Read Also: How Do You Make A Firm Mattress Softer
How Do I Know If My Mattress Is Worn Out
There are a few signs to look for. First, check for sagging or indentations on the surface of the mattress. These can be caused by body weight pressing down on the bed over time. If you find that your mattress sags or lacks the support it once had, its probably time for a new one.
Another sign of a worn-out mattress is persistent back pain. A good bed should provide support for the spine and minimise pressure points. If you find that youre waking up with more back pain than usual, its time to start shopping for a new mattress.
Lastly, Pay attention to how you feel when you wake up. If youre tossing and turning all night and struggling to get comfortable, its a good sign that your mattress isnt providing the support you need. Please dont wait too long when its time to replace your mattress. A new bed can mean better sleep and less pain.
What Is The Best Time To Buy A Mattress
When choosing a mattress, there is no one perfect time of year. Some may argue that the best time to buy a bed is during the significant holiday sales in the fall, such as Black Friday and Cyber Monday. These are great times to snag deals on high-quality mattresses, thanks to extensive discounts and promotions. Other people may prefer to wait until spring or summer when retailers start clearing inventory to prepare for the next seasons products. Regardless of when you decide to buy a mattress, one thing is sure: it is wise to do your research and assess different options before committing to a purchase. This will help you find the best possible deal on a quality mattress that will keep you comfortable and supported night after night. After all, getting a good nights sleep is crucial for our overall health and wellbeing, so invest in an excellent mattress today!
Also Check: What Is Inside Of A Mattress
How Much Does The Average Person Spend On A Mattress
The average person spends a significant amount of money on a mattress, and choosing the right one can be daunting. After all, we spend such a large portion of our lives in bed, so its essential to find a mattress that feels comfortable and provides adequate support. And with such a wide variety of mattresses available today, it can be challenging to know which type is best for your needs.
At the lower end of the price spectrum, youll find budget mattresses that offer low quality at a relatively low cost. These tend to be essential in design and may not feature many advanced features or customisation options. But if youre looking for something temporarily or you cant take your mattress with you, these mattresses may be the way to go.
For those who are willing to spend a bit more, there are also premium mattresses available that can offer some exceptional features. These high-end models often include cooling technologies or latex foam for added comfort, and customisable firmness settings.
Is it worth spending a lot of money on a mattress?
How To Get A Good Deal On A New Bed
Certified Sleep Coach
Logan has extensive experience testing sleep products and producing sleep content. She is also a Certified Sleep Science Coach.
What Is The Best King
We would say the Nectar wins for best King-size as well. It has impressive edge support for a memory foam mattress, so you should be able to use the full surface of the bed. Many who own a King share a bed with someone the Nectar a great choice for couples because of its impressive cooling, motion isolation, and durability.
Thats Most Useful: Polyurethane Foam Or Spring Season Mattresses
There is no that-size-fits-all the way to if or not polyurethane foam otherwise springtime mattresses are better. Both of them possess positives and negatives. Polyurethane foam is excellent within contouring the human body, providing pressure relief and you may isolating actions. Foam has also a sinking impression that produces you feel such as you might be settling to the bed mattress, alternatively sleeping at the top of they. Some people this way and several try not to. You to definitely disadvantage to memory foam would be the fact it can pitfall heat, and if youre a hot sleeper, you may need additional cooling tech otherwise a hybrid mattress.
Springtime mattresses try bouncier than simply memory foam and do not offer the same action isolation, but you do not sink towards the him or her. If you need an impact away from sleeping at the top of your bed mattress therefore sleep alone, you are going to instance a spring bed mattress better than foam. Springtime mattresses have finest air flow so they dont trap heat as much, and usually give a great deal more boundary-to-boundary assistance.
Whenever you are torn on what brand of mattress you need to get, a crossbreed design-hence integrates polyurethane foam that have springs-is probable your best option.
Don’t Miss: Do Hotels Use Memory Foam Mattresses
Can You Put A New Mattress On An Old Base
A mattress is only as good as the base it is on. If you have an old, saggy, creaky floor, no matter how good your bed is, you will not have a great nights sleep. The same goes for putting a new mattress on an old base its just not going to work as well as it should. So, if youre thinking of getting a new bed, do yourself a favour and get a new base too. Your back will thank you for it!
How Much Does A Mattress Cost
Logan Foley, Certified Sleep Coach
We regularly assess how the content in this article aligns with current scientific literature and expert recommendations in order to provide the most up-to-date research.
Theres no one-size-fits-all price tag for a quality mattress. You can spend as little as $250 and as much as $3,500+ on a new bed. Many factors contribute to a beds price: the mattress size, materials used, country of manufacture, and more.
Because there is so much variance in price from size to size and material to material, it can be difficult to get a basic grasp of a price range to expect. For a quick estimate, its helpful to compare price ranges for each category of mattress.
Average Mattress Cost by Category:
|Affordable beds, typically all-foam or innerspring construction using basic materials.||$250-$1,000|
|Mid-range beds, usually all-foam, innerspring, or hybrid using quality materials.||$500-$1,500|
|Luxurious beds mostly hybrid and latex construction using high-end materials.||$1,200-$3,000+|
Average Mattress Cost by Material:
Read Also: What Is The Lifespan Of A Mattress
What Factors Influence The Cost Of A Mattress
When buying a new mattress, you may ask yourself the following questions: what size mattress should I get? What is the average mattress price? What type of mattress do I need? Are there any additional costs involved? Where can I find a high-quality mattress that doesn’t cost the earth? A lot of the answers to these questions come down to personal preference and available budget. By the end of this article, you will be armed with all the relevant information you need about mattresses and their costs.
How To Get The Best Deal
Here are some extra tips you may want to consider if you wish to cut the cost of your new mattress:
- Shop online. Typically, mattresses are cheaper online than in stores .
- Wait for holiday sales. Shopping around Labor Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Amazon Prime midsummer sale, Black Friday and so on usually involves sales and attractive discounts.
- Choose companies that offer free shipping. This one is obvious, right? Its better to enjoy the free shipping than to pay more than $100 for your bed to be delivered.
- Check for referrals. Some brands offer discounts if you have a referral from a friend who has already bought a mattress from them.
- Negotiate when buying in-store. Sometimes, mattress companies would rather lower the price than lose a potential customer.
- Think about durability. Buying a cheap mattress can help you save some money initially. At the same time, this could also mean more expenses in the future, and sooner than you might be anticipating. After all, cheap mattresses dont last that long. So, to save more money in the long run, it might be a better idea to consider a durable mattress.
As you can see, free shipping is one of the top ways to cut on a mattress cost.
Many shoppers prefer to compare brands online and pick the ones offering the most customer-friendly conditions: free shipping, in-home trial, and reasonable pricing. You can cut the price even more when shopping online during the holiday season.
Also Check: Who Makes South Street Loft Mattresses
Investing In A Good Mattress With Casper
You spend roughly a third of your life asleep. Shouldnt you make that third as comfortable as possible? Investing in a good mattress is more than a commitment to better sleep. Its a commitment to a higher quality of life. So, its time to say goodnight to a bad mattress and invest in a bed that will elevate healthy sleep levels.
Not only will you better enjoy the time you have with your mattress but youll also prolong that time by starting out with a more durable, better-constructed mattress. Instead of losing its support or bounce after only a few years, your slightly more expensive mattress will make up for the extra upfront cost by lasting longer in the long term.
Whether youre in the market for a hybrid mattress or innerspring, king-size or California king, Casper has you coveredat a fraction of the price of other brands.
What Is The Best Mattress For Back Pain
‘If you suffer from back or joint pain, you should look for a mattress that keeps your back aligned while sleeping and relieves pressure points along your spine and joints,’ says McDonough.
‘In addition, as a rule of thumb, the heavier you are the firmer your mattress should be. Its not just mattresses that should be kept in mind, as your pillow will also affect your sleeping position and back alignment.’
Tested by the Real Homes team, the Nolah Natural 11″ Mattress comes highly commended for those with back pain .
Recommended Reading: Can You Put Any Mattress On An Adjustable Frame
Average Mattress Cost By Size
Because mattress price varies greatly depending on the type of mattress and potential add-ons, determining the cost of mattresses by size is difficult without accounting for other factors. However, the average mattress price by size generally breaks down like this:3
- Twin Ideal for single sleepers and small spaces, twin-size mattresses cost between $100 and $500, with $300 as an average rate. For twin XL mattresses, expect to pay an additional $50 to $200.
- Full Best for young adults and guest rooms, full-size mattresses typically cost between $200 and $600.
- Queen The most popular size, queen mattresses typically cost anywhere between $300 and $2,000, depending on the type.
- King For couples who love to sprawl out or share their space with kids and pets, king-size mattresses are ideal. Because of their expansive, luxurious size, they tend to be on the pricier side. Youll rarely find a quality king for less than $1,000 and the higher-end models can cost upwards of $5,000. Although less common, California kings are around the same price point.