Other Factors To Consider
To shop for a new mattress topper like a pro, readers should keep certain aspects in mind. Here are a few examples:
- Durability. Unless readers want to change mattress toppers quite often, they need to look for durable materials. Typically, dense memory foam and latex offer the most long-lasting performance. Its also better to pick companies that offer extended warranties with their toppers. Good warranty coverage is often an indication of the material quality.
- Motion isolation. If the mattress is too bouncy and makes sleepers disturb each other during the night, a soft topper can improve the situation. Memory foam typically works the best when it comes to motion isolation. Shoppers can also consider soft latex toppers.
- Temperature regulation. Since soft mattress toppers are quite cradling, some of them may cause overheating during the night. Therefore, sleepers who are prone to night sweats should direct their attention to latex, gel-infused memory foam, or breathable wool toppers.
- Ease of cleaning. Some mattress toppers come with a removable, washable cover, making maintenance super easy. Some allow for spot-cleaning only, which can be an issue for allergy sufferers, people who sleep with pets, and parents who practice co-sleeping.
A quick note: readers should figure out how to dispose of an old mattress topper before buying a new one. After all, toppers can be large and bulky, and no one wants to clutter their home with something like that.
What We Don’t Recommend And Why:
Perfectly Snug Smart Topper: I really wanted to love this topper. It uses little fans to promote airflow to keep you cool through the night. The app lets you customize your experience, even heating the topper to wake you in the morning. Unfortunately, it just isn’t comfortable to sleep on, like really uncomfortable. It reminded me of sleeping on a sofa bed, with its hard spots. I’m interested in testing future iterations of this topper as they company makes it more comfortable.
Eight Sleep Pod Pro Cover with PerfectFit: The cool thing about the Eight Sleep topper is it makes your bed as hot or as cold as you want. It pumps water between 55 and 110 degrees Fahrenheit through the topper to keep you cool or warm you up. The app tracks your sleep, and you can adjust the temp to help you stay asleep through the night and wake up in the morning. We initially recommended the Pod Pro Cover, but after less than a month of use, it sprung a leak, which destroyed the mattress it covered.
Lucid Gel Memory Foam: This topper is incredibly soft, like our budget pick. Since it’s made of memory foam, you sink in, making it hard to change positions in the night or get up in the morning. We recommend going with our budget pick instead because of its superior cooling properties and motion isolation.
Best Mattress Pad: Nestwell Double Layer Fiberbed Mattress Topper
Material: Cotton and polyester | Height: 2 inches | Sizes: Twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, California king | Certifications: STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX | Return Policy: 90 days
Lightweight and easy to install
Not good for lumpy or uncomfortable mattresses
Mattress pads and mattress toppers are quite similar, but toppers are typically thicker and more supportive. If youre looking to, for example, add some cushioning to a firm mattress, the Nestwell Mattress Topper delivers a plush, pillow-top feel. Our testers noted that its very different from the other toppers we tested, and while its advertised as a mattress topper, it reminded us more of a mattress pad.
This unique product has a 2-inch gusseted support layer thats filled with polyester fibers, as well as a quilted top layer that snaps to secure. There are anchor bands at each corner that hold the topper in place, and our testers found that you can easily feel and see anything placed underneath the surface. The top layer of this mattress topper can be removed and machine-washed for easy cleaning, and its easy to snap back into place when youre done.
Phoebe Cheong / The Spruce
Also Check: Where To Donate Beds And Mattresses
What Makes The Layla Stand Out
- Its cooling. It has a thin, breathable cover made with Thermo-Gel technology, and cooling copper beads in its memory foam.
- It has securing straps. All four corners have straps to attach to your mattress to prevent slippage.
- Its soft and pressure-relieving. Any sleeper looking to add some softness to their bed should like this topper.
Exceptional Sheets Bamboo Mattress Pad
A low-cost way to make your mattress feel softer
The natural bamboo topper by Exceptional Sheets is technically advertised as a pad rather than a topper. However, the terms pad and topper are often interchangeable, with the end result being what really matters.
The pad is particularly soft and comfortable, with a generous fill of revoloft fiber fill. This is sometimes used as a goose or duck down alternative, and while it doesnt feel quite the same, its still very cozy to sleep on.
It wont support your body in the same way that a memory foam or latex topper will, but it still does a pretty good job because of all the soft padding that youll sink into.
Here are the key features:
- The inside of the pad is filled with Revoloft cluster fiber. It has the gentle feel of down, but without the feathers.
- It has a silky bamboo blend cover, which makes it feel even softer under your sheets.
- Its a good alternative if youre allergic to down, but enjoy that feel and softness.
- It can be used on top of either a mattress or a firmer topper such as memory foam or latex.
- Its designed with individual boxes of fiber to keep an even shape.
- Its easy to clean and machine washable.
- Low price compared to memory foam, latex or wool.
- You get a 30 day return and one year exchange warranty.
The price is good, with most sizes usually available for under $100, depending on the time of the year and any holiday sales.
Read Also: Can I Sell My Tempurpedic Mattress
What Are The Benefits Of Using A Mattress Topper
Mattress toppers can extend the life of your mattress by relieving some of the pressure you put on it, which really can make it last longer. Theyre also a great way to add some comfort and support to your bed, and whats more, adding a topper is a less expensive alternative to replacing an entire mattress. Finally, many toppers are made with breathable materials that can help to keep you cool in the warmer months.
What Is The Best Soft Mattress Topper
The best soft mattress topper is one that has the perfect balance of comfort and support. Other features should include cooling properties, thickness, and a high-density structure. Puffys soft mattress topper offers comfort and full body support to all sleepers, no matter what their sleeping position is.
This soft mattress topper prevents overheating, which is great for hot sleepers. It features bamboo, a temperature-regulating and breathable cooling material. Our topper is available in two variables, a firm or soft feel. The firm mattress topper will provide medium-firm support and ultimate comfort, ensuring your body doesnt sink in while sleeping. The soft mattress topper offers a plush cloud-like feel, which cradles your body and relieves any strain or stiffness.
It is a hypoallergenic and antibacterial mattress topper that keeps out dust mites, bed bugs, and reduces the spread of allergens. Offering long-lasting durability, this soft mattress topper is suitable for heavy sleepers and is available in all mattress sizes. The topper is wrapped in a machine washable cover and features an anti-slip grip layer at the base to keep it from sliding or moving.
Don’t Miss: Throw Pillows For Navy Blue Couch
Is It Better To Sleep On A Firmer Or Softer Bed
If there is no back pain to be had, a firm mattress will generally make the back feel more comfortable. When bones sleep on a firm surface, the majority of the pressure is absorbed, resulting in less stress on muscles, veins, and arteries. Muscles are less strained as a result, and blood flows more freely.
Is A Soft Mattress Better For You As You Age?
Do we need softer mattresses for older people? To maintain the integrity of joints and bodies, a premium level of comfort is required. Low-density foam support layers on memory foam mattresses can cause back problems if they interfere with your alignment while sleeping. Is it recommended to use a firm or soft pillow for side sleep? A side pillow should be firm enough to support the cervical spine while sleeping on it, and there should be a medium loft to support the side pillow. An overly thin or thick pillow will cause the neck to curve more than usual, resulting in cramps and pain over time.
Puffy Royal Hybrid Mattress
The Puffy Royal Hybrid is Puffys take on a luxury memory foam hybrid mattress. Its medium-soft firmness level and conforming top layers make it ideal for side sleepers who like a neutral all-foam feel.
The Puffy Royal Hybrid mattress is an affordable, luxury hybrid mattress. Side sleepers with extra-sensitive pressure points will enjoy the memory foam used in this mattress is infused with gel that keeps you cool and also offers pressure relief. The Puffy Royal Hybrid works well for sleepers who tend to switch positions throughout the night, and it also works well for committed back and side sleepers who love the feel of a thick, luxurious mattress. Its a bed-in-the-box mattress thats easy to set up, and the company offers free shipping, a 101-night sleep trial period, and a Lifetime warranty on the product.
Read our full Puffy Royal Hybrid mattress review for more details!
Also Check: What Are The Different Mattress Firmness
How Do Bamboo Toppers Compare To Cotton Toppers
Bamboo mattress toppers are in most cases far better than regular cotton toppers. They are softer and higher quality. Unlike regular cotton toppers, once washed bamboo toppers dont lose their softness. Wed recommend checking out Ecoys bamboo mattress topper to find out more about the benefits.
Best Mattress was set up to help many Australians choose the best mattress for them. Weve done the research so you dont have to.
Which Type Of Mattress Topper Should I Choose
Mattress toppers come in a wide variety of sizes, materials, and firmnesses options. To find the right mattress topper for you, youll need to consider your unique comfort preferences, body weight, and preferred sleeping position. The material you choose will have a significant impact on your toppers comfort. Well break down potential benefits and drawbacks to consider for each type of mattress topper.
Memory FoamMemory foam is a specially formulated material originally designed by NASA. Its highly contouring for excellent pressure relief. Memory foam is often used in soft mattress toppers, as it responds to both heat and weight to conform closely. However, it is known to trap body heat. If you tend to sleep hot but enjoy the feel of memory foam, look for cooling toppers with features that are intended to fight heat buildup, such as gel-infusions, open-cell technology, or phase change material.
PolyfoamPolyfoam is a versatile type of foam commonly used in mattress toppers. Higher density polyfoam often provides a firmer sleep surface, but there are plenty of soft polyfoam mattress toppers on the market. Lower density polyfoam tends to be softer, but may be more susceptible to deep impressions over time.
Latex Natural latex provides contouring and pressure relief, with top-notch temperature regulation and durability. Latex toppers tend to be more supportive than memory foam models, and they will not feel as soft as down or down alternative toppers.
Recommended Reading: How To Break In A Firm Mattress
What Type Of Mattress Topper Is Best
It depends on what you’re looking for i.e., whether you’d like your mattress topper to provide more firmness and support, or if you need to soften up your bed. Here are the main types of toppers you can choose from:
- Memory foam mattress toppers: These are the most popular because they can add support, comfort and pressure-relief to any mattress. There’s also a wide range of price points in this category, and it’s your best bet if you’re looking for an affordable pick under $100 to spruce up a temporary bed. You’ll also find variations of memory foam, like ones infused with gel or graphite to help prevent overheating from the foam.
- Latex mattress toppers: Unlike memory foam that’s made from petroleum, latex is a natural foam that’s made from rubber trees. It’s typically more expensive, but it’s durable, more resilient and has more bounce than traditional foam.
- Pillow-top mattress toppers: If your bed feels too hard and you want to add cloud-like softness, a topper made of down or fiberfill is your best bet: 100% down or down featherbeds are the most luxurious and fluffiest, while fiberfill made of polyester is less expensive and animal free.
- Hybrid mattress toppers: These typically include a layer of foam with a pillow-top cover so you get the pressure relief and support combined with plush softness. You can also find hybrids that use memory foam clusters and fiberfill in the blend these feel more like a featherbed with extra support.
What Is The Best Foam For A Soft Mattress Topper
That really depends on what youre looking to get out of your mattress topper. If you want to add more responsiveness and cooling power to your bed, latex foam might be the way to go. This springy and breathable foam is great at bouncing back into place as soon as you move and keeping cool air flowing for optimum temperature control.
Latex foam is also the best choice if you want an all-natural sleep surface. You can get lots of toppers that offer organic textiles and organic latex for a fraction of the price that you would pay for an organic mattress.
On the other hand, if youre looking to add the ultimate contouring to your mattress, memory foam might be the way to go. Memory foam is not as springy or cooling as latex, but it makes up for this by being the best contouring material on the market. So if you need superb pressure relief and spinal alignment, memory foam may be up your alley.
Read Also: What Can I Do With Old Mattress
Other Good Mattress Toppers
If you prefer wool and want good temperature regulationbut are ok with less support: The Deluxe Wool Mattress Pad from Woolroom is a great option. Its 2-3 inches thick and, unlike our other picks, it comes with an elastic skirt as part of the design, so it stays in place. We also appreciated the companys dedication to using ethically sourced and traceable wool. Like most wool toppers, it offers less support than foam or down, but it does an excellent job at staying both cool and warm when neededand it still added noticeable cushioning to our very firm guest sofa bed. We plan on testing Woolrooms loftier Wooly Topper to see if it can provide the support this one lacked.
Benefits Of Pillow Top Mattress
A pillow top mattress can provide a number of benefits, including improved sleep quality, increased comfort, and reduced back pain. Pillow top mattresses are often made with an extra layer of padding on top, which can make them more comfortable than regular mattresses. This extra layer of padding can also help to reduce back pain, as it can provide additional support for the spine. Pillow top mattresses are typically more expensive than regular mattresses, but they can be worth the investment for people who experience discomfort or poor sleep quality on a regular basis.
An upholstery layer is included in the 2 Brothers mattress to provide extra cushion and comfort in addition to the traditional innerspring portion of the mattress. In addition to being associated with luxury, they can help to reduce pressure and envelope you in softness. The quality of your mattress is one of the most important factors in determining whether or not you get a good night of sleep. A pillowtop mattress is an excellent choice if you want a mattress with the support of a traditional one but at a lower price. They can also last a long time because they can return to their original shape after sleep after a nights rest.
Recommended Reading: What Is Tulo Mattress Made Of
Who Should Not Get A Soft Mattress Topper
- You are a stomach sleeper. It is a rare instance when a stomach sleeper should buy a soft mattress topper. Stomach sleepers need more support than those who sleep on their back or side. When you sleep on your stomach, you want to make sure you are getting even support across your entire body. Also, you dont want your hips to sink in, causing pain in your lumbar area.
- You prefer to feel like youre sleeping on top of your mattress topper. If you pick up a soft mattress topper, it is likely that you will sink into your mattress. This feeling is not for everyone. For those who prefer to sleep on top of the mattress topper, a firmer option might be in order.
Dreamfoam Gel Swirl Memory Foam
For those who are looking for an affordable mattress topper, the Dreamfoam Gel Swirl Memory Foam is a great choice its significantly more affordable than the other mattress toppers on this list. While the Dreamfoam might not last the longest, it is a quick way to update a mattress for a value price.
Recommended Reading: How Wide Is A Hospital Bed Mattress
For Some A Soft Mattress Is The Perfect End To An Exhausting Day
Some of the best feelings in the world come from things that are soft: a teddy bear to cuddle when youre scared, the fluffy dog thats always there to greet you when you get home, the perfect pillow on which to lay your head, and a soft bed at the end of a hard day.
If these are the moments you look forward to in life, then you must make sure you have the best soft mattress when it comes time to settle in for the night.
Soft mattresses, according to MattressClarity.com, states that they are best for side sleepers and for those with pain issues, as they help to relieve pressures at the shoulders and hips.
If an extra-soft mattress doesnt work for you, no worries. You can still find the best mattress for your needs. Now, for those who love a soft mattress, the problem comes down to finding the time to search out the best soft mattresses for the money. How are you to find the time to compare, contrast, and select the perfect mattress with all the other responsibilities you have to juggle throughout the day?
Its lucky for you that you happened to find this article because we are obsessed with mattresses and exhaustively combed the internet to find the best in each category. So relax, spend a few minutes reading this article, and feel confident that when you select one of the mattresses listed below, you have genuinely found one of the best soft mattresses you can buy.