How Do I Choose An Adjustable Bed
- Consider your budget. If youre looking to invest in an entirely new bed, you may benefit from a full sleep system that has both an adjustable base and an adjustable mattress. If youre just looking to customize your comfort level, you may be better off buying an adjustable mattress or an adjustable base that changes your head and feet positioning.
- Features like sleep tracking, massaging, lights, USB ports, and more can be great bonuses. Also consider if you want to want to use with a remote control or even your smart phone.
- Head-raising capability: You can program some beds to raise your head when its time to wake up. Not only do you get to customize your sleep position for personalized comfort, but the head elevation helps if you or your partner snore, or even if you want to raise your head to read or watch TV. Plus, an adjustable head means you can get into what the brands refer to as zero gravity position, meaning you feel weightless because your head and legs are both elevated. You get the comfort of sleeping in a recliner in your own bed.
Read on to learn more about our top picks for adjustable mattresses, bases, and more, which offer something for everyone.
Best Adjustable Mattress
Is There A Weight Limit
The GhostBed Flex has a weight limit of 350 pounds per side of the bed for queen-size beds and larger. Thanks to 13 of cushiony foam, supportive innerspring coils, and sturdy high-density polyfoam, the Flex is an excellent mattress for heavyweight sleepers. However, stomach sleepers over 230 pounds may find the sleeping surface too soft, while lightweight side sleepers may find it too firm.
What Is A Grooved Head Flex King
King Flex Top Sheets Also known as Head Split or Top Split King Sheets, they are designed for special king size mattresses where the top half of the mattress is split and the bottom half is not. This particular mattress is sold by several bed manufacturers including Sleep Number Bed, Reverie, and many more.
Do You Need Special Sheets For Adjustable Beds
Do you need special sheets for adjustable beds? You need sheets with some special features to keep them on the mattress as it moves with the adjustable base. Fitted sheets with extra deep pockets, oversized flat sheets clipped with sheet straps, or suspenders underneath the mattress secure your sheets to the bed.
What Makes Up Ghostbed Flex
The GhostBed Flex is made from 7 layers of hybrid comfort that combine to offer support, contouring, and cooling.
Don’t Miss: Wyoming King Bed Price
Where It Falls On The Firmness Scale
The GhostBed Flex is a medium-firm mattress, rating between a 5.5 and 6.5 on the 1-10 firmness scale. With 4 of padding above pocketed coils, the Flex has the cushion of a memory foam mattress combined with the support of an innerspring bed. The top delivers a balanced foam experience that falls between sleep on and in the mattress, while the springs deliver responsive support.
What Is A Hybrid Mattress
A hybrid mattress has a 2 to 3-inch top layer, typically made of memory foam, gel foam, or latex foam. Beneath this foam comfort layer is a supportive foundation of pocketed spring coils. Most hybrids have better edge support and motion isolation than traditional innerspring beds, making them an excellent option for couples.
Thanks to the spring coil base, hybrid beds also have a slight bounce, which keeps sleepers lifted and aligned during sleep.
You May Like: Casper Mattress Murphy Bed
King Vs Split King: Whats The Difference
By Sanchita SenCertified Sleep Coach
Both king and split king are the largest standard mattress sizes on the market. Their wider size allows for more personal space, so couples dont feel crowded. But which mattress
Both king and split king are the largest standard mattress sizes on the market. Their wider size allows for more personal space, so couples dont feel crowded. But which mattress should you choose? We share information on both sizes, including benefits and drawbacks.
Best Types Of Adjustable Mattresses
You have a lot of choices when it comes to fitting a mattress on to an adjustable bed frame. There are even some innerspring varieties that were made to work in this setting. However, before buying a mattress for this purpose, triple check the product specifications and warranty to make sure its allowed.
Also Check: Does The Purple Mattress Need A Box Spring
What Is A Sleep Number Flex Top King
The patented FlexTop mattress allows each person to adjust the top half of their side of the bed independent of their partners, and still experience the feeling of togetherness on the same mattress. Originally introduced on the x12 bed, the FlexTop mattress is available on any king-sized Sleep Number mattress.
Hybrid Mattress Pros And Cons
Buying a mattress is an endeavor that you shouldn’t take lightly. After all, we spend a third of our lives asleep, on average. Many folks report being overwhelmed and don’t know where to start when picking a new mattress. Is this you? If so, we’d like to help.
To help you identify the best mattress for your individual body and sleep needs, well outline the pros and cons of a hybrid mattress below. We hope this information gets you a step or two closer to selecting the bed of your dreams.
You May Like: Foundation For Casper Mattress
Best Flippable Split King Mattress
The Plank Mattress by Brooklyn Bedding
- Price: $
- Type: Foam
- Height: 11.5 inches
The Plank by Brooklyn Bedding is also only available in a split California king and not a regular split king.
You have the option of adding a cooling top panel and, like the Signature Hybrid, you can try this one out for 120 nights, too.
Whats different? Its flippable, so you can choose your firmness level . The flat design is meant to provide an optimal surface for your spine.
It may be a good pick for people who love a firm sleep surface or who primarily sleep on their back or stomach.
Are There Any Cheap Models
King size mattresses are typically more expensive, so a less expensive model could present huge savings. There are cheaper models out there, but be careful that you are not confusing cheap with affordable. So you can get the most out of your money, do your best to research by comparing brands and materials.
View Our Full Guide:Top-Rated Budget Mattress
Also Check: Sleep Number Cancel Order
Queen King California King Split King
So, if king, queen, and twin XL mattresses are all the same length, how are their sizes differentiated? Width! We typically recommend queen size and up for couples as this will give each sleeper at least 30 of space to themselves.
- Queen Queen mattresses are a bit narrower than kings and cal kings, at 60, and full sized mattresses are narrower still, at 54.
- King King size beds are the widest type of mattress, at 76 wide.
- California King If you happen to be on the taller side though, there is also the option of a California king size mattress, which is 4 inches longer than a normal king size. This means it is 7 feet long! California kings, which have the same surface area as typical kings but have the dimensions distributed slighted differently, are 4 inches narrower, at 72.
Now, to answer the question that weve all been waiting for, what are the dimensions of a split king bed? Well, if you were paying attention to the numbers above, you might have already figured it out, but a split king is actually two twin XL mattresses put together on a king size bed frame. Twin XL mattresses and king mattresses are both 80 long, and twin mattresses are half as wide as king mattresses. Take two 38 wide twin XL mattresses, stick them together, do a little bit of math magic and voila, youve got a 76 king size mattress. Whoever decided on the standard mattress sizes was pretty clever with this one, wouldnt you say?
Split Or Single King Foundation
Sleepers who opt for a split king can use a single-piece king foundation or a split foundation. Single-piece foundations can be heavy and tough to move from room to room. People prioritizing maneuverability may prefer a split foundation. Both sides can be moved independently from one another, but they can be placed side-by-side on a king size bed frame.
Also Check: Wyoming King Bed Frame For Sale
What Is A Flex Top King Bed
Sleep number beds are made of a steel spring frame, covered with a stretchable top layer of fabric. The mattress range can be adjusted to fit any body size, including stomach, back, side and u-shape.
In addition to the traditional Sleep Number bed, Flex Top King and Flex Top California King options are also available. These beds have extended extra-wide bases that allow the bed to sit close enough that your head and feet are raised.
Mattress Warranty And Other Policies
Warranty, shipping, and trial policies vary widely between mattress manufacturers. Though many appear generous, there can be limitations or fees hidden in the fine print.
Check to see what a mattress warranty covers and for how long. Even if the mattress has lifetime coverage, examine what defects qualify, whether the policy is prorated, what exclusions apply, and whats required of the owner.
Though many companies offer free shipping, there are often restrictions or additional charges for orders to P.O. boxes, Hawaii, Alaska, and Canada.
Some sleep trials may truly be risk-free, but others charge restocking, disposal, or transportation fees for returns. Companies also frequently allow just one trial per household, and many require that the unwanted mattress remains in excellent condition. Review all the fine print before committing to a mattress purchase.
Don’t Miss: Wyoming King Bed For Sale
What Do Other People Say
Lets take a look at what real life customers have to say about the Ghost Flex mattress.
- I always have back pain since having my babies, so I decided to try the Ghost Flex with the adjustable base, and man I am sleeping so rested and my back isnt hurting as bad! Love this bed!! -Sasha B.
- I love my GhostBed Flex queen mattress. It offers the best softness and support I could have asked for and I love the side edging support so I can use the whole mattress! Great product. -Lloyd F.
- My old mattress was causing me major back pain and with the weather getting warmer I would wake up out of sleep because of the heat. Now my back pain has significantly decreased and my GhostBed keeps me cool on hot days! . So happy and proud to be a GhostBed owner! -Hunter W.
How To Choose A Split King Mattress
Picking the right split king mattress is much like choosing any other size but with a few additional considerations. If youre purchasing a mattress to share with your partner, their preferences are also important to consider. You may want to reflect on your available floor space, decide whats within your budget, and ensure that a split king will work with the bed frame you have in mind.
Also Check: How Long Does A Dreamcloud Mattress Last
Why Would You Need A Split King
Split king mattresses are most often used by couples. Partners dont always have the same sleeping needs. Body size, position, and personal preference affect what feels comfortable. A split king allows each partner to choose their own distinct sleep surface while still sharing a bed.
Differing Firmness Needs
Body weight and sleeping position are two of the biggest factors when choosing an appropriate firmness level. Couples needs can vary widely in this regard. For instance, a stomach sleeper over 230 pounds is likely to need a much firmer mattress than their partner who weighs under 130 pounds and sleeps on their side.
When a person tosses and turns or gets out of bed, vibrations may travel across the mattress surface and disturb their partner. Since a split king is two separate pieces, movement on one side of the bed does not transfer to the other.
For Use on an Adjustable Base
Sleepers may use an adjustable base for a wide variety of reasons, including comfort, mitigating snoring, and preventing acid reflux. Combining an adjustable base with a split king allows each partner to customize the position of their bed.
Hybrid Mattresses Vs Traditional Innerspring Mattresses
If you’re used to the support of a traditional innerspring mattress but notice you’re waking up with unexplained aches and pains, it may be time to join team hybrid. As we age or experience different life events, such as pregnancy, our bodies will require various kinds of support. We hear from our customers that trying a hybrid model is a wonderful way to try out memory foam without losing the support they crave.
You May Like: Dreamcloud Mattress Instructions
Sleep Trial And Returns
One of the main reasons that buying online is different from in-store is that you dont have the ability to lie down on the bed before making your purchase. Instead, you have a sleep trial during which you can use the mattress at home with the option to return it for a refund.
Most customers appreciate an in-home sleep trial because they can test out the mattress in real-world conditions for an extended time. This gives a clearer sense of whether a mattress works for you than just feeling it out for 15 minutes in a mattress store. During the trial, you can return the mattress if you arent satisfied, and that usually entails the company sending someone to pick it up from your home.
Both Tempur-Pedic and Sleep Number provide a sleep trial with their mattresses.
- Tempur-Pedic gives customers 90 nights to try the mattress at home. You are required to keep the mattress for 30 nights before initiating a return. If you decide that you dont want to keep it, there is a $175 charge for return shipping.
- Sleep Number gives customers 100 nights for a sleep trial and requires that you keep it for 30 nights before initiating a return. The return shipping charge for Sleep Number beds ranges from $199 to $249.
Sleep Number Flexfit Adjustable Bases
FlexFit 1: The FlexFit 1 is the most basic Sleep Number base. It allows you to raise the head of your bed, making it a great option if youre someone who likes to read or watch TV in bed before hitting the hay.
These start at $999.99 for a Twin XL and go up to $2,099.99 for a King.
FlexFit 2: This base gets a little more technical. You can raise the head andfoot of your bed. You can also gently raise your partners head if he or she starts snoringthis is available only for FlexTop King and Split King sizes. The movement of the base also provides a special zero-gravity feel, as if youre weightlessly floating versus being abruptly moved. Lastly, you can set a timer so the bed automatically returns to your favorite sleeping position at a certain point in the morning or night.
These start at $1,499.99 and go up to $2,999.99 for a King.
FlexFit 3: The FlexFit 3 adjustable base includes all the bells and whistles of the FlexFit 2. It also includes massage feature, under-bed lighting, and a foot warming feature
These start at $1,999.99 and go up to $3,999.99 for a King
Note: These are all prices for the traditional bed base. Sleep Number also includes a Silhouette option, which is an optional upholstered surrounding for the base. If you get a traditional base, you will be able to see the base legs, so Sleep Number recommends buying a bed skirt if you want to keep them covered. With the Silhouette option, prices go up roughly $600.
Also Check: Wyoming Size Mattress
How Is Customer Service
GhostBed is available via live chat, phone, or email 7 days a week from 8 AM 10 PM EST.
Weve found GhostBeds customer service team to be friendly and knowledgeable. When we reached out during normal business hours, we received immediate service using the live chat feature at ghostbed.com.
Heres what customers have to say about GhostBed customer service.
- I havent received my bed yet because I had to delay delivery due to moving, but the associates at GhostBed have been amazing! I had a billing issue they resolved and even contacted me multiple times to keep me up to date. I also had to change my delivery address. They have made everything so easy! I cant wait to get the bed! -Amy L.
- The bed is so comfortable and I was very impressed with the shipping speed as well as the customer service! -Brandy D.
- After reviewing various bed-in-a-box mattress sides I settled with the GhostBed due to varying recommendations. After browsing for various hours at different deals I contacted their CS concerning a deal I had seen that was expired. Their team took care of me and my needs for what I was looking for. -Marco C.