Sleep Tips For Seniors
The good news is that certain habits can help anyone, seniors included, overcome some of these sleep challenges. These improvements to sleep hygiene include:
- Exercising regularly
- Going to bed at the same time each night and waking up at the same time each morning
- Having a quiet, comfortable bedroom, including a comfortable mattress
Older people can easily convince themselves that they dont need a new mattress. Difficulty with mobility can make shopping at a brick and mortar store too taxing. Others may think a new mattress will cost too much money and may be reluctant to spend money on something theyre not sure they need.
But buying a new mattress doesnt have to be difficult or costly and could be the best investment in health seniors can make. Researching mattresses online before you shop will reduce the time spent trying mattresses in stores. Online mattress companies offer some of the best mattresses for seniors, delivered right to your front door or set up in your home, at prices that often beat those at mattress stores.
Always Use A Mattress Protector
From the moment you get a new mattress, its crucial to put a mattress protector over it. Next to using the proper foundation, a mattress protector is key to helping your mattress last. They look like a fitted bed sheet and have an elastic to secure them onto your bed. Conversely, some mattress protectors encase your entire bed and have a zipper enclosure.
Most mattress protectors are waterproof, keeping your mattress safe from spills, accidents, and other messes. With that, a mattress protector minimizes the amount of sweat, skin, and dust your mattress collects.
If there ever is an accident on your bedor you just sweat a lot at nightits easy to pop off your mattress protector and toss it in the washing machine.
Most Comfortable Mattresses Reviews
The Layla Hybrid Mattress is a great mattress with a lot of good features.
This mattress offers the support of coils and memory foams comfort. Its also versatile, so you can flip it to whichever side feels best for you! When it comes to sleep, we believe you should get the best possible rest, which is why the Layla Hybrid Mattress is our choice for the best of the best.
It combines the original Layla mattresss all-foam feel with a hybrid mattresss comfort, plus innovative cooling technology and some great materials. As mentioned above, the Layla Hybrid Mattress has a few great features that make it great for sleeping.
The most impressive aspect of this mattress is its edge support. Many hybrid mattresses have weak edge support, which compromises sleeping in the corners of the bed. The Layla Hybrid has edge support that is just as good as any memory foam mattress, which is saying something. It also has great bounce, making it very comfortable for any sleeping.
What I Like:
- The Layla Hybrid mattress is a great option for looking for a memory foam mattress with firmness options.
- The mattress uses a special proprietary copper infusion process that claims to help keep the mattress cooler than traditional memory foam mattresses.
- It is a product that combines support and comfort to make your bedroom experience even more enjoyable.
Read Also: Wyoming King Bed Vs Alaskan King Bed
Best Mattress For Stomach Sleepers
Of all the sleeping positions, stomach-sleeping is the least common. Some of us may sleep on our stomachs periodically, but people who do so for the majority of the night are a rare breed. In fact, just 16% of us stomach-sleep on a routine basis. As physical therapist and Sleepopolis Expert Network member Dr. Keith Poorbaugh tells us, the position can also be tricky when it comes to your health. Thats why its so important to find the right bed. Find out more in our roundup of the best mattresses for stomach sleepers!
Best Mattress For Back Sleepers
If youre a back sleeper looking for a bed that will support you in your preferred sleeping position, then youve landed on the right page! In this guide, Im going to introduce you to the absolute best mattresses for back sleepers, including picks for back pain, those who sleep hot, budget shoppers, and more.
Recommended Reading: Best Base For Casper Mattress
How Can I Make My Bed Feel Like A Luxury Hotel Mattress
Do you want a bed that mimics the classy feeling youd find at a hotel? Its important to start with a comfortable mattress. A comfy bed will form the foundation of everything else that follows. You can place a heap of fluffy pillows at the mattresss head on top of clean, white linen.
To truly complete the hotel bed look, practice the hospital fold. You want to tuck the four sides of a flat sheet under the mattress, with the leftover material at the corners. You will then make a 45-degree angle with these corners and tuck them under the mattress.
Molecule Triple Zone Pro Topper
A memory foam topper you can sink into and is more breathable than most
As a hot sleeper who needs a good level of support for my body, the Molecule Triple Zone Pro is my personal favorite of the many memory foam toppers Ive tried, both for breathability and comfort.
You can really tell the difference in quality when you compare Molecule mattress toppers with generic memory foam. The more basic ones might be cheaper, which is great. But they tend to be chunks of generic memory foam that feel too warm or just arent as supportive for the body as youd hoped for.
The Triple Zone Pro is the second of Molecules toppers Ive used. Previously, I had the AirTEC which was slightly more breathable. However, the Triple Zone Pro is still very breathable compared to standard memory foam while providing better support for your body. And since I have intermittent back pain and a long-term shoulder injury, comfort is my number one requirement now.
There are two main layers of foam in the topper. The top layer is one inch thick and has an open cell structure that allows for better airflow, which helps reduce heat build-up.
The bottom layer is two inches thick and has three zones with the middle being denser than the head and foot zones. The end result is a surface you can sink into at the end of a long day, feel comfortable and in my case sleep well on.
These are the key points to consider:
Recommended Reading: Mattress Firm Cancel Order
Mattress Materials To Avoid
Now that weve covered a few of the major players when it comes to the best mattress materials, which are the types you should avoid?
- Chemically Treated Mattress Fibers A lot of companies treat their mattress fibers with toxic chemicals as a way of adhering to strict safety standards while keeping costs low. Polybrominated diphenyl ethers , propylene oxide and toluene diisocyanato , and dimethylformamide are just a few of the most common culprits. But these chemicals can be dangerous when inhaled or absorbed through the skin.
- Low-Quality Fiberglass Materials Many consumers dont realize their inexpensive mattress is made using fiberglass, namely in the mattress cover. But if that mattress cover is removed or punctured, it can send millions of tiny glass shards all over your home. If they are sucked into your HVAC system, they can become lodged in your carpet, furniture, clothing, and more. Thats why its so important to learn about the danger of fiberglass mattress materials and avoid them at all costs.
- Old Mattresses Last but not least, be sure to stay away from especially old mattresses. On the one hand, they often wont be able to provide nearly as much support and comfort as models made with newer materials. Beyond that, though, these mattresses may not adhere to the same fire safety standards as newer models. And that could mean putting your safety at risk.
Worst Mattresses For Stomach Sleepers
The worst mattresses for stomach sleepers are softer, less supportive, and more prone to sagging under the weight of the torso. Too much sinkage can throw the spine out of alignment and increase muscle and joint pain. To help prevent poor alignment and discomfort, stomach-sleepers may want to avoid the following:
- A mattress with a deep pillow-top. A cushiony outer layer can feel plush and cozy to sink into, but is more likely to cause a painful curvature of the neck and spine. A thick pillow-top could also make breathing more difficult.
- A mattress made of softer memory foam. Stomach-sleepers are more likely to shift and change position during the night, which could be more difficult on a less-firm memory foam.
- A hyperelastic polymer mattress. These mattresses typically have open cells of relatively bouncy material and a resilient feel. Hyperelastic polymer is responsive, making it easier to change positions, but may not offer the pressure relief and firmness that most stomach sleepers need. That being said, there are exceptions to the rule, such as the Purple Hybrid.
Recommended Reading: Wyoming King Matress
Eve Sleep Premium Hybrid
- Sizes available: Double, king, super king
- Mattress depth: 28cm
- Material: Memory foam and springs
- Trial period: 100 nights
- Guarantee: 10 years
This extra-deep, vacuum-packed hybrid mattress is next level, in our opinion, especially when it comes to people who sleep at least part of the night on their backs and, unlike the Emma hybrid that goes for folk of any shape and size. This is particularly good news for tall and/or overweight back sleepers, for whom no other mattress came close in our tests.
The durability is outstanding, so it should last you longer than other mattresses. It also gets 10 out of 10 from us on breathability, comfort and support, being just slightly firmer than medium. Eve says its down to the combination of special layers and years of product development, focus groups and testing. The top provides a comfy lift, followed by a contouring memory foam layer, then a firmer foam support layer and a sturdy foam base layer that also encloses full-sized pocket springs. You wont disturb your partner when you roll over and the cover is washable. It does smell a bit at first, but not for long, and no mattress scored higher for edge to edge support.
- Sizes available: Single, small double, double, king, super king
- Mattress depth: 25cm
- Trial period: 200 nights
- Guarantee: 10 years
- Sizes available: Single, small double, double, king, super king
- Mattress depth: 25cm
- Material: Open-cell foam and micro springs
- Trial period: 200 nights
- Guarantee: 10 years
What Mattress Is Most Comfortable For Stomach Sleepers
Stomach sleepers are susceptible to spine misalignment due to the way gravity interacts with their bodies. When a stomach sleeper lies down, gravity pushes down on the abdomen and belly area. The lower torso sinks into the bed if the mattress is too soft and draws the spine out of its neutral alignment.
Stomach sleepers should look for a firm and responsive mattress with consistent support to buoy the spine.
Don’t Miss: Bed Bugs Purple Mattress
What Mattresses Are Best For Side Sleepers
Sleeping on your side puts more pressure on certain areas of your body, including your hips and shoulders. This can cause pain and numbness that makes it difficult to sleep and/or stays with you during the day and leads to chronic pain.
To combat these issues, side sleepers typically need a mattress with a little more give and extra contouring material. If youre a dedicated side sleeper, a medium firmness mattress will probably be a good option for you. If you switch between sleeping on your back and side, a medium-firm mattress will likely be a better fit, since it offers enough support to keep your spine aligned when sleeping on your back.
Best Mattress For Back Sleepers 2022
- Best Hybrid Mattress for Back Sleepers Helix Dusk
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers with Lower Back Pain Saatva
- Best Organic Mattress for Back Sleepers WinkBeds EcoCloud
- Best Soft Mattress for Back Sleepers Brooklyn Bedding Aurora
- Best Cheap Mattress for Back Sleepers DreamCloud
- Best Foam Mattress for Back Sleepers Puffy
- Best for Combination Sleepers GhostBed
- Best Mattress for Hip Pain Tempur ProAdapt
- Best Cooling Mattress for Back Sleepers Cocoon Chill
- Best Memory Foam Mattress for Back Sleepers Layla Hybrid
Recommended Reading: Purple Mattress Need Box Spring
Making Your Sleep Environment More Comfortable
You can do several important things to get the best nights sleep possible, from selecting the right mattress to practicing good sleep hygiene. Having a comfortable mattress is certainly a good start, but other elements like pillows and bedding also play a role. The key to getting a good nights sleep is creating an environment that is conducive to sleep.
What Is The Best Mattress For The Money
Usually, you can find high-quality and comfortable mattresses priced between $500 to $1500, depending on the mattress size you choose. However, there are plenty of budget-friendly mattresses on the market. While there are beds cheaper than this, they often dont last long and are uncomfortable. Beds more expensive than this often feature luxurious add-ins, but they wont necessarily affect your comfort. We recommend finding a bed made with durable materials and built for your specific needs, whether it be extra durability, support, or whatever else.
Don’t Miss: Best Way To Move A Purple Mattress
Forget About Comparison Shopping
If you like a mattress at one store and ask elsewhere for something similar, youre likely to be steered toward a same-brand mattress claimed to have the same construction, components, and firmness. Mattress makers offer some lines nationally, but when those brands are sold through major chains such as Macys or Mattress Firm, theyre typically exclusive to those chains. And manufacturers dont publish a directory of comparable mattresses. So use our ratings as a guide, and insist on the precise make and model that scored well in our tests.You can also browse our ratings of mattress stores, which are based on the Consumer Reports 2020 Winter Survey of 4,405 CR members reporting on their mattress purchase experiences during 2019 and the first quarter of 2020.
What Mattress Brands Do Hotels Use
This will obviously vary from place to place and it is not unusual for many companies to feature exclusive products designed specifically for their establishments. However, some popular mattress companies create these products for these establishments, including Sleep Number and Sealy, and may sell these or similar items on their own websites.
Also Check: Mypillow Return Policy
How To Choose A Mattress Complete Buying Guide
If youre looking to buy a new mattress, perhaps the most challenging thing to figure out is where to start. Do you go in-store or shop online? Do you prioritize budget-friendly options or splurge on a fancy model? And what about the size, shape, material make-up, and design? Yeah, its a lot of things to consider, especially if youre bed shopping for the first time. But never fear, Sleepopolis is here!
In this handy guide, I am going to walk you through exactly how to choose the perfect mattress for you. Were going to chat about different types of mattresses, how to determine what feel will work best for your sleep style, and much, much more! By the end, I guarantee that youll know exactly how to find the mattress of your dreams.
Sound like a plan? Then lets get things started!
How Do I Know When I Need A New Mattress
Somewhere around seven to eight years is the average lifespan for a mattress, according to the National Bed Federation. Budget ones often need replacing more regularly, while better quality ones could last you as long as a decade.
But when do you know? Tell-tale signs include dipping in the middle causing roll-together, worn fabric and squeaky springs. And if your bed just doesnt provide the same level of support it used to, thats another clue.
Other signs that you may need a new mattress include sleeping better in beds other than your own, waking with aches and pains, not feeling refreshed in the morning, says Simon Williams, spokesperson for the National Bed Federation.
Also remember that people change we put on weight, lose weight, become ill etc all things which might mean that our bed is no longer suitable for our needs.
Recommended Reading: Wyoming King Mattress For Sale
Best Cooling Option Ghostbed Luxe
Check Current Price Read our detailed review
- Surface and core cooling properties for a refreshing night sleep
- 7.5 inches dense core for long lasting support
- memory foam for pain alleviation and pressure relief.
The Ghostbed luxe definitely warrants a spot on the list of most comfortable mattresses. With its 13 inches height, the mattress is fully loaded with materials designed for optimal comfort. From its quilted cover to its core to, its gel infused memory foam does the job of drawing heat away from the body during sleep, making you sleep without having to worry about night sweat.
If youre also in the market for a mattress that can help you with tension relief after a long day, the GhostBed luxes memory foam and latex combination cradles your body, massaging your pressure points while also giving you a plush feeling of relaxation.
Clean Your Mattress Correctly
Another way to help your mattress last longer is by cleaning itmore importantly, you must clean the mattress correctly. Now, you cant just toss a mattress into the washing machine the same way you can with some bedsheets and pillows. Instead, your mattresss manufacturer will likely provide guidelines on how to properly clean your bed.
Follow your manufacturers cleaning instructions. If you wash your mattress incorrectly, it can void the manufacturers warranty. Without a warranty, youll be in charge of paying mattress repairs and replacements in full.
While the exact guidelines manufacturers offer differ slightly, the cleaning instructions follow the same basic structure:
- Spot clean stains with a soap and water solution as needed
- Vacuum each side of your mattress every 1 to 3 months
- Strip your mattress and let it sit in a sunny spot indoors for 1 to 3 hours
You May Like: Purple Mattress Break In Period