Types Of Coil Springs
The type of springs used can affect the firmness of the mattress. Below, we outline the most common coil types.
- Bonnell: These coils are spiral-shaped and are thicker on the ends and thinner in the middle. Bonnells are designed this way to offer a balance of compression and firmness.
- Offset: Offset coils have an hourglass shape with a squared-off coil head. These coils are linked together to provide more uniformity. The edge of each coil is connected to a hinge that allows the coils to contour to the body.
- Continuous: A continuous coil base is formed from one single piece of wire. Each spring twisted from the wire has an s-curve construction that contracts when pressure is applied. This process is designed to make the coils more supportive since they are able to draw support from the surrounding springs.
- Pocketed: Pocketed coils are most commonly used in hybrid mattresses, but some innerspring may also feature these springs. Pocketed coils are individually wrapped and move independently of one another. This movement allows them to react differently to each area of the bodyproviding sleepers with more accurate contouring.
What Bed Base Should I Use
The type of bed base that you use with your mattress is very important, and even more so for larger sized people.
The bed base that you use with your mattress should be strong enough to support the weight of the mattress and the weight of the occupants of bed. The combined weight of a good quality innerspring mattress, and two heavier sized people, can easily be nearly 300kgs.
The best type of bed base for heavier people is a solid bed frame with fixed slats . These slats should ideally be no more than 8cm apart, to ensure that the mattress is supported correctly.
We hope that our list of Australias best mattresses for heavy people has been useful. If you have any questions about purchasing a mattress, or want some advice relating to your mattress purchase, please leave a comment below.
Our team is standing by!
Bedbuyer is Australias largest bedding website and leading independent mattress review group. To read our disclosure and disclaimer statement,
Which Type Of Mattress Is Best For Back Pain
A key step in choosing a mattress is deciding which mattress type is most likely to work for you. Virtually all mattresses on the market today can be broken into five types based on their construction and materials.
Within each category, you can find consistent features however, there can be notable variation from one brand or model to the next. Some types allow for a greater diversity of designs, which leads to a wider variation in the expected feel and performance of any specific mattress.
What Type Of Mattress Is Best For Heavy People
The best type of mattress for heavy people is a strong, innerspring mattress. An innerspring mattress includes a network of metal coils that should offer reliable back support over time.
Innerspring mattresses also provide responsiveness during sleep movements. This means that changing sleep positions will be easier, an important consideration for larger sized people.
Foam mattresses are generally not recommended for heavy people. Foam mattresses may cause overheating issues during sleep as the airflow and circulation is relatively poor.
Furthermore, foam mattresses may not be suitable for heavier people in terms of durability. Even the best quality foams will deteriorate over time, and heavy occupants will likely accelerate the degradation of foam mattress components.
As you might expect, all of the mattresses listed above, are innerspring mattresses.
How Much Variation Is There Between Innerspring Mattresses
There is a moderate level of variation between innerspring mattresses. The main elements that cause this variation include:
- The type of coils
- The thickness of the coils
- The height of the coil layer and mattress as a whole
- The quality of the steel
- The materials in any layers above the coils
An innerspring with high-quality pocketed coils and a soft cotton layer above them will offer more support, motion isolation, comfort, and durability than a low-quality mattress with Bonnell coils and no comfort layer.
Despite these differences, customers can reliably generalize about the overall performance of mattresses in the innerspring category. While there are degrees of variation, their basic benefits and downsides are similar.
Recommended Reading: How Does Purple Mattress Ship
Brooklyn Bedding Plank Mattress
The Plank mattress is an all-foam, flippable mattress with a firm side and an extra-firm side, which makes it great for stomach sleepers. Both sides of the mattress should provide them with the right level support they need.
The Brooklyn Bedding Plank is one of the firmest mattresses on the market, meaning theres very little room for sinkage when you lie on your stomach. Thats always the main thing I look for when recommending a mattress to stomach sleepers, since it helps align their spine and hips. This bed gives extra support around those delicate areas, making it ideal for those who want to maintain perfect sleep posture.
All About Foam Mattresses
Foam mattresses are one of the most popular types on the market today. In these mattresses, every layer is made with foam, latex, or fabric there are no coils involved in the construction.
The support core of a foam mattress is almost always a thick layer of polyfoam. This support polyfoam is firmer and denser than other polyfoams that may be used in the comfort system.
The comfort system can include one or more layers and may include memory foam, polyfoam, latex, or other fabrics. The ample comfort system allows a foam mattress to provide higher levels of pressure relief, motion isolation, and noise reduction. Quality foam mattresses have above-average durability, lasting 6-8 years and sometimes even longer.
The downsides to foam mattresses can include issues with heat retention, excess sinking into the bed, lack of bounce, and weak edge support. How much these issues arise depends in large part on the specific type and quality of materials used in the comfort system.
Recommended Reading: Purple Mattress In A Bag
How Do I Know The Right Mattress Firmness
Medium firm is consistently the most popular mattress choice – that’s why most flagship mattresses fall within a range of 5-7 on the firmness scale .
However, mattresses are subjective. Firmness and comfort depend on a wide range of factors, including your weight, height, body shape, sleeping style, temperature, and whether you experience any pain, such as in your back or hips. This means that one person’s experience of a mattress is likely to be completely different to that of another person and whether you prefer a softer or firmer mattress will be down to your individual taste.
Nevertheless, there is some broad advice for deciding which level of mattress firmness you might be best-suited to…1. Consider your preferred sleeping positionBack sleepers often benefit from a medium-firm mattress. This gives the best of both worlds, providing neutral spine alignment while supporting the hips and shoulders, but without putting too much pressure on them. If a mattress is too soft, back sleepers may find their spine forming an uncomfortable ‘U’ shape, which creates strain.If it’s too firm, the natural ‘S’ curve of your spine won’t be supported properly.
Combination sleepers should choose according to their dominant sleep position . If you don’t have one, a medium firm mattress will dish out the best support and comfort across most sleeping positions.
What Is The Best Material For A Mattress
That all depends on your preferences.
Here are the pros and cons of the three main mattress types.
- Steady support across entire mattress
- Keeps motion isolated
- Plenty of variety in styles, sizes, and price points
- Usually the most affordable option
- Highly breathable
- No chemicals or off-gassing and very eco-friendly
Don’t Miss: Does Casper Need A Box Spring
Mattress Features To Look For To Relieve Back Pain
When shopping for a mattress to help relieve back pain, some features are more important than others. With so many products and a bevy of marketing hype, it can be tough to parse out what really matters. Youre most likely to get the most satisfaction out of your purchase by focusing on certain key considerations:
- Mattress Type: the materials and design will play a huge role in the performance of a mattress. The contouring, bounce, firmness, temperature regulation, and motion isolation of a mattress will be different for each mattress type, so it is critical for shoppers to think about their priorities and choose a mattress with components that will best meet their needs.
- Zoned Support: weight from the body is not distributed evenly instead, certain areas tend to require more cushioning. A zoned mattress takes that into account and offers reinforced support in those areas.
- Quality Materials: a mattress made with excellent materials is much more likely to provide the performance, reliability, and durability that people with back pain need.
- Firmness Level: firmness is a key driver of mattress comfort and is largely a matter of personal preference. At the same time, the right firmness level can play a big part in whether a mattress offers sufficient support, and that will depend significantly on a persons body weight and sleeping position.
What Should I Look For When Buying A Mattress
Focus primarily on comfort and support, using what you like and dont like about your current mattress as a jumping-off point. How a mattress is made can be a good indicator of how it might feel: An innerspring mattress with individually wrapped coils provides better motion isolation and contouring than one with an open-coil system, while all-latex foam mattresses sink less than those with a top layer of memory foam.
You should also make sure the company offers a sufficiently long trial period and doesnt require you to jump through hoops to make a return.
Don’t Miss: Wyoming King Bed Frame For Sale
What Is The Healthiest Mattress Material
In terms of back pain, youll want a mattress thats highly supportive without compromising comfort. Most people will choose an innerspring or latex mattress for back support. Youll also want to factor in your own size and the severity of your condition.
When it comes to chemical exposure, again latex or innerspring win out. They tend to use fewer chemicals than memory foam mattress
What Makes The Saatva Hd Stand Out
- The Saatva HDs zoning makes it ideal for all three sleeping positions. Back sleepers and stomach sleepers should feel support in the center, and side sleepers should get decent pressure relief from the plush pillow top. Its also a good mattress for combination sleepers.
- The bed sleeps incredibly cool, thanks to the ventilated latex foam and coils that promote airflow.
- It contains eco-friendly materials such as latex and organic cotton.
Brooklyn Bedding is a producer of some of the most budget-friendly mattresses on the bed-in-a-box market they own their own factory, and this allows them to price their mattresses very competitively. The Titan is their bed for heavy people, and comes in two models: the Titan Luxe Hybrid and the firmer Titan Firm Hybrid.
Don’t Miss: Best Way To Move A Purple Mattress
How Do You Know If You Need A Firm Or Soft Mattress
Deciding between a firm or soft mattress is actually simple. The mattress firmness that is right for you will depend on your body type and preferred sleep position.
- Side Sleepers: When side sleeping, the hips, and shoulders bear the brunt of the body weight. A soft to medium comfort level will cushion the joints and prevent pressure points from forming near these sensitive areas.
- Back Sleepers: The torso often sinks when back sleeping. Therefore, back sleepers need a firmer mattress to keep the torso lifted so the spine can remain neutral. We recommended a medium to firm mattress for back sleepers.
- Stomach Sleepers: It is best to avoid stomach sleeping whenever possible. This position puts pressure on the back and neck by exaggerating the natural curve of the spine. However, if you cant avoid this position, opt for a firm mattress that will keep the hips from sinking.
- Combination Sleepers: If you toss and turn during sleep, you need a balance of cushioning and support. We recommend a medium mattress since this firmness will prevent excessive sinking while also protecting against pressure points near the joints.
Flo Ergo Gel Memory Foam + Proprietary Responsive Foam Mattress
An ergonomic mattress can help relieve stress from pressure points which can cause pain in the neck, shoulder, back and hip. Furthermore, it ensures break-free sleep due to the comfort it offers. Among the ergonomic mattresses available in the market, one such top quality ergonomic mattress is the Flo Ergo Gel Memory Foam mattress. It is a highly recommended foam mattress by the experts for its ergonomic features.
The proprietary responsive nature of the mattress comes with the special ability which provide firmness and adequate support to the body. It further ensures that your body parts dont sink into the mattress. The reason behind this is the upper layer, which contains gel foam memory. It is also accountable for balancing your spine and keeping it in its natural shape.
Flo Ergo mattress features high-density memory foam stuffing along with a zero-partner disturbance facility. This ensures that your turns and movements in the bed dont disturb your partner or vice-versa.
The ergonomic mattress is also a great choice, especially on summer days, as it regulates the body temperature and absorbs your body heat via its 3D airflow fabric surface area. Due to the presence of Aloe vera gel in the zippered cover, it ensures that the mattress is skin-friendly and acts as a protective layer for the mattress.
The Aloe vera gel mattress approximately weighs 17.20 kilograms. It also comes with a ten years warranty period along with a trial period of 100 nights.
Read Also: Wyoming King Bed Retailers
Best Mattresses For Children Who Fidget
Fidgeting through the night can reduce the quality of your child’s sleep significantly, so finding a mattress that can help reduce fidgeting is key. Foam mattresses are great for kids who fidget or move around alot through the night as they provide enough support to help keep your child steady and comfortable which reduces fidgeting.
Our Maxicool Slimline Reflex Foam Mattress is the perfect mattress for kids who fidget and even comes with a soft Coolmax cover which keeps them cool in the warmer months.
Best Mattress Topper For Heavy People
If youre not ready to purchase a new mattress but would like to add a new feel to your bed, a mattress topper may be the way to go. Latex mattress toppers are a great option for heavier people because of their durability and the support they provide. Check out the Avocado mattress topper for an excellent latex option.
If you are looking for a classic memory foam feel, the VicoSoft mattress topper could be the one for you. This topper is made from a high-density memory foam that provides nice body contouring around the lumbar area. Additionally, it is a 3 mattress topper, which is thicker than most other models, which can help it last longer and provide excellent pressure relief for heavier people.
You May Like: Dreamcloud Mattress Unboxing
How Much Does Each Mattress Type Cost
The price range for mattresses is vast and includes low-quality, low-cost options to high-end models for those in the lap of luxury. That diversity in price can make it hard to state definitively how much a mattress normally costs.
Despite that difficulty, weve tried to give a general idea of the average price of most mattress types in a Queen size. Again, there are outliers from these ranges, but these averages provide a general sense of the retail pricing and an idea of how it compares between mattress types.
With any mattress in any category, prices can rise or fall based on the specifics of how that mattress is made. Factors that can play a part in the final price include:
- How many layers are in the mattress
- The thickness of the layers
- The material used in each layer
- Where and how the materials were sourced
- Whether the mattress was made in the USA
- If the mattress has any special features
For any mattress type, shoppers should always be on the lookout for deals and promotions and should almost always receive some discount from the full sticker price .
Are Big Lots Mattresses Good
Big Lots mattresses are typically considered to be good mattresses, especially when considering how affordable they usually are.
Customers of Big Lots mattresses are generally pleased with their purchases, particularly the price they retail for and the comfort they provide.
One downside to mattresses from Big Lots was found to be durability, which many customers have found is not long-lasting.
After the first few months, Big Lots mattresses were found to be less comfortable and were quicker to sag than other mattresses. However, this is likely to depend on the specific mattress you purchase.
Read Also: Does Macy’s Carry Saatva Mattresses
Try Your Mattress Before You Buy If You Can
Buying a mattress online might be cheaper and more convenient but, unless youre buying a bed-in-a-box mattress, its always best to try before you buy if you possibly can – and if shops are open.
When we asked Which? members about their experience of buying a mattress, more than a third told us they feel intimidated trying out a mattress in the shop.
A good mattress shop shouldn’t mind you doing this. See our guide on the best mattress shops.
When trying out a mattress in store:
- wear comfortable clothing and remove your outdoor gear
- lie on a mattress for at least 10 minutes, in positions you normally sleep in
- go with your partner if you share a bed
- dont shop for beds when youre tired, as all the mattresses will feel great
- don’t let sales assistants influence you they cant decide whether the mattress is comfortable for you.
If youre buying a memory foam mattress, relax in one position, then move into another. Was it easy or did you struggle to move? If you struggled, you might find that the memory mattress restricts your movement too much, especially in cold weather when the foam will be harder.