Average Mattress Cost By Size
Because mattress price varies greatly depending on the type of mattress and potential add-ons, determining the cost of mattresses by size is difficult without accounting for other factors. However, the average mattress price by size generally breaks down like this:3
- Twin Ideal for single sleepers and small spaces, twin-size mattresses cost between $100 and $500, with $300 as an average rate. For twin XL mattresses, expect to pay an additional $50 to $200.
- Full Best for young adults and guest rooms, full-size mattresses typically cost between $200 and $600.
- Queen The most popular size, queen mattresses typically cost anywhere between $300 and $2,000, depending on the type.
- King For couples who love to sprawl out or share their space with kids and pets, king-size mattresses are ideal. Because of their expansive, luxurious size, they tend to be on the pricier side. Youll rarely find a quality king for less than $1,000 and the higher-end models can cost upwards of $5,000. Although less common, California kings are around the same price point.
Getting A Great Mattress Deal
Best Time of Year to Buy
When youre looking for the best price on your new mattress, keep in mind that prices can fluctuate several hundred dollars throughout the year depending on sales and seasonal averages.
Mattress brands and third-party retailers offerdiscounts around holidays likePresidents Day, Easter, July Fourth, Thanksgiving and Christmas, which can make these holidays a good time to ditch your old bed for a more comfortable one. To help you stay up to date on when these sales are happening, we recommend subscribing to the email newsletters of your favorite mattress brands and retailers. If youre not up for extra emails, just check the mattress sites a week or two before big national holidays to see if theyre offering a special.
We recommend buying a new mattress with care. Take your time, especially if youre investing in a bed that costs $1,000 or more. There are thousands of websites that offer market research about customers experiences, and customer reviews on third-party retailers websites, mattress retailers websites, and more can offer insight into how satisfied buyers are with the bed over time. Were just one of them! Be sure to check out ourmattress reviews.
What Makes The Dreamfoam Chill Stand Out
- Having reviewed the 12, we can say that this bed has a classic slow-moving memory foam feel for anyone who likes to sink into their mattress a bit.
- As the name suggests, the Dreamfoam Chill is designed with hot sleepers in mind. It features a gel infusion to keep the memory foam from trapping too much heat.
- The Dreamfoam Chill is a comfortable memory foam mattress sold at a very affordable price.
You May Like: Reviews My Pillow Mattress Topper
Comfort Level Or Model Exchanges
Some brands are willing to allow shoppers to send in their mattress or comfort materials in exchange for a different comfort level or a new model altogether. If you find yourself tossing and turning because you accidentally purchased a mattress that is too firm or too soft, you can simply switch it out for one that suits you better. This is often free within the trial period, but after that time there may be a fee required.
Warranties Sleep Trials And Return Terms
Many quality mattresses come with a sleep trial and some sort of warranty. These policies often reflect a companys faith in its mattresses comfort and durability. However, lengthy sleep trials and generous warranties can increase a mattresss initial purchase price.
Companies suffer a financial loss whenever a customer returns their mattress. So companies calculate the expected loss on mattress returns and raise their prices to cover the cost to make up for this.
As a side note, always read the fine print when it comes to warranties and any sort of return policy. Some policies have hidden fees when it comes to returns and repairs.
We also want to note that an industry-standard mattress warranty covers the first 10 years of ownership.
Also Check: Does My Pillow Mattress Topper Really Work
Who Should Use A Twin Mattress
As a smaller mattress, twin beds are very versatile. Not only do they work on normal bed frames, but they also pair with day beds, bunk beds, trundle beds, RVs, and more. Plus, their small size makes them fit in practically any bedroom.
Some types of people who may benefit from twin mattresses and their versatility include:
How To Hire A Mattress Cleaning Professional
Before you hire a contractor to clean your mattress, be sure to use the following tips:
- Look for a qualified professional: Find a licensed, qualified professional with experience in mattress cleaning.
- Look at past projects: Make sure the pro has experience cleaning mattresses.
- Get multiple free estimates: Knowing a general range for mattress cleaning costs will give you the confidence to hire a pro whos not over- or under-charging. Make sure the estimate is specific and lists the exact services included in the quote.
Recommended Reading: Casper Cancel Order
The Mattress Is Eight Years Or Older
Mattresses wear down with age. And although many mattress retailers guarantee a warranty of upwards of 10 years, that doesn’t mean your mattress is going to remain comfortable all that time. You shouldn’t be sleeping on a mattress longer than 8 years, as a mattress older than that can cause some serious problems.
Is A $1000 Mattress Worth It
Spend at least $1,000 on a high-quality mattress that will endure for seven to ten years. Having said that, there are situations when you just cant wait that long. If you are in desperate need of a bed right now, you should be aware of how far your money will go. These are the mattresses for those on a tight budget.
You May Like: My Pillow Topper Review
Will It Make Me Overheat At Night
If you sleep hot or tend to get night sweats while sleeping, then youll probably need to look for a mattress that has temperature-control or cooling features. Even if you dont overheat while sleeping, a cooling memory foam mattress has advanced temperature regulation to balance your body heat.
Your body temperature shifts during the night, if the mattress absorbs heat, it can disrupt your sleep and prevent you from achieving deep sleep. The best cooling mattress includes cooling beads, gel-infused foam, and evenly distributes airflow through the mattress.
Common Mattress Size Dimensions Comparison
Nowadays, many sizes of mattresses are available in the market. Here we selected some most commonly use mattress sizes and give you a short description of them:
- Twin: These mattresses are ideal for grown-up children or those who just finished their toddler periods. It is also effective for them who live in a small room or share their room with a roommate or sibling because of their fitting size. Generally, a Twin mattress is in 38 width and 75 length.
- Twin XL: Twin XL is larger than the previously described twin mattress. These mattresses are a smart choice for them who wants to save some space. You can easily adjust this mattress with king bed frames. So, they are perfect for adults or those who share their mattresses with their partners. Typical measurements of these mattresses are 38 in width and 80 in length.
- Full: An adult person comfortably sleeps on this mattress with a child or bed. They are not suitable for two adult people. It has a good width space but not enough length to share it with others. Though you can share it with shorter people who dont need more length space for sleep. The usual size of a Full mattress is 54 in width and 75 in length.
Don’t Miss: Purple Mattress Break In Period
You Feel Tired When You Wake Up
After a good nights sleep, you should wake up feeling well-rested and ready for the day. However, sleeping on an old mattress can prevent you from feeling this way. If you notice yourself feeling increasingly tired every day and you dont feel good when you wake up, it may be your mattress causing the problem.
Think About The Durability Of Each Mattress
The phrase people get what they pay for is especially true when it comes to mattresses. The range in durability from bed to bed can be pretty substantial depending on the materials used in the construction. If someone saves $300 on a mattress, but it wears out in five years, are they really getting a good value?
Compare that to a mattress that costs $300 more but wears out after 10 to 12 years. Most people would argue that the second bed is the better deal over the long term. Before purchasing, you should consider how long you want to have the mattress and then read reviews to make sure you know how long you can expect it to last.
In addition, different materials are going to affect the life of your mattress. For example: Some types of foam sag over time, while others are more responsive. Latex mattresses, while usually more expensive, will last longer than most memory foam mattresses. Some mattresses even incorporate sag-proof foam to fight the long-term aging of a mattress. You may be paying more for certain materials up front, but the mattress will pay for itself with its extra years of use.
Don’t Miss: Eurotop Vs Plush
What Do You Think Of Ikea Mattresses
The Swedish furniture maker has a reputation for aesthetically pleasing, bare-bones furniture designed for modern spaces. While they are not best known for their bedding options, their beds range in price from $159 to $899, plus they offer a 25-year limited warranty.
Within this range, they also offer innerspring, foam, and hybrid constructions. Before you jump in your car and head over to Ikea for Swedish meatballs and a bed, it may help you to know that their mattress firmness levels are generally rated as Firm to Medium Firm. This means that if youre a side sleeper, you may not feel as comfortable, but if youre strictly a stomach sleeper, you may be able to find something you like.
Forget About Comparison Shopping
If you like a mattress at one store and ask elsewhere for something similar, youre likely to be steered toward a same-brand mattress claimed to have the same construction, components, and firmness. Mattress makers offer some lines nationally, but when those brands are sold through major chains such as Macys or Mattress Firm, theyre typically exclusive to those chains. And manufacturers dont publish a directory of comparable mattresses. So use our ratings as a guide, and insist on the precise make and model that scored well in our tests.You can also browse our ratings of mattress stores, which are based on the Consumer Reports 2020 Winter Survey of 4,405 CR members reporting on their mattress purchase experiences during 2019 and the first quarter of 2020.
Read Also: How Long For Dreamcloud Mattress To Expand
Health Risks With Used And Cheap Mattress Sets
Its never good to spend a lot of money on low-quality sleep. Besides financial risks, there are also serious health risks associated with both cheap materials and sleep deprivation. These may develop and appear over the years if you sleep on a cheap mattress.
- Muscle and joint pain: Low-quality foam mattresses do not retain their shape, meaning they are likely to sink or sag over time. This leads to misalignment of your neck, back, hips, shoulders, knees, and other sensitive areas, which can lead to pain and aching. Because innerspring coil mattresses may lose the padding over the coils, you might feel springs poking into your body in just a matter of months. These pressure points can also cause pain. Over time, you may damage your joints or develop chronic pain.
What Kind Of Mattress Does Not Need A Box Spring
Most modern mattresses dont require a box spring to feel comfortable you only might need one with an innerspring mattress. You can even damage a foam mattress if you place it on a box spring. A box springs inner coils are too far apart to create consistent support, leaving room for a foam mattress to dip and stretch out of shape.
Do you have an old box spring you still want to use with a new bed? Try placing a piece of plywood over the box spring. Make sure the plywood is moisture-resistant, or else you might lift your mattress one day and find mold and mildew.
Also Check: Mattress Firm Reschedule Delivery
Air Bed Mattress Costs
Air bed mattresses allow you to adjust the firmness via air pump, which makes it perfect for couples with different sleep preferences. This level of customization does come at a premium, however. The most expensive air beds have latex or memory foam comfort layers and include a remote control so you can make adjustments easily.
Benefits Of A Twin Mattress
One of the first decisions you have to make upon buying a new mattress is which size bed you want. A twin mattress is the smallest size youll find on the market. A twin is a great option for kids who are growing and dont need much space.
Twin mattresses can be great options for smaller adults or for people who want to save space in a room. Twin-size beds are also a popular option for furnishing guest rooms. A twins small dimensions can save you a lot of money compared to a full, queen, or king. They are also ideal for shoppers furnishing small rooms or studio apartments as they allow for more space.
Dont Miss: Can You Finance A Purple Mattress
Also Check: Drury Inn Mattress
B Cost Factors For Latex Mattresses
- Natural vs Synthetic Latex Natural latex is harvested from sustainable rubber trees. The process creating the natural latex is more expensive than synthetic latex. Therefore, synthetic latex will be the more cost effective option when shopping for a latex mattress.
- Production Process Both natural and synthetic types of latex are made using one of two options, or a combination: Dunlop process or Talalay process. The original latex mattress Dunlop process produces a heavier and denser mattress. Those seeking support layers will want the more modern Talalay process. The Talalay makes a less dense mattress that will be costlier than the Dunlop.
- Latex Mattress Thickness Latex mattresses are made using molds that are filled, either entirely with the Dunlop process, or partly with air vacuumed in to finish filling the mold, as with the Talalay. Depending on the layers in construction and the overall thickness will affect the price. A more comfortable thicker latex mattress will generally have a higher price tag.
What Thickness Should A Mattress Be
What is the average thickness of a mattress? Mattresses are typically 8 to 14 inches thick, with the average being 8 inches. For the greatest sleep, look for a mattress that has an at least 2-3-inch comfort layer and a foundation layer that is at least 6- to 8-inches thick, respectively. In addition, most mattresses have a transition layer that is 1-2 inches thick.
Recommended Reading: My Pillow Topper Mattress
What Should A Mattress Cost
What you pay for a mattress depends on several different factors, including quality, construction, and size. Each of the following factors can have a huge impact on cost, raising or lowering the price sometimes by hundreds of dollars. Understanding these factors can help you find the best mattresses for the money.
Average Cost Of An Air Bed
Air beds cost around £67, but range in price from £59.99 for a single up to £79.99 for a king size. While they cost noticeably more than an air mattress, air beds provided an extra dose of comfort and luxury and make for an ideal option for guests staying over. An air bed’s raised height resembles a regular bed as opposed to an air mattress which is very low to the ground. When budgeting for an air mattress, keep in mind the cost of a pump for your air bed, as unlike with an air mattress they are challenging to inflate manually.
|How Much is an Air Bed?||Single|
Read Also: Vacuflat Mattress Bag (king Size)
How Do You Know When You Need To Replace Your Mattress
First, consider the age of your mattress. Its not uncommon to replace a bed after 7 to 8 years of use. However, this isnt a hard-and-fast rule because a quality mattress can continue to provide a comfortable nights rest even after a decade.
Next, examine the condition of your mattress. Does it have any visible lumps, tears, stains, or sagging? Extensive wear and tear on a mattress reduces its support and sleep quality, leading to a decrease in your overall health.
Finally, ask yourself how well youre sleeping. If you tend to wake up sore or stiff, the culprit might be your old, unsupportive mattress. Poor sleep symptoms can also be mental instead of physical, such as a low mood or cognitive impairment.
How Can I Get A Mattress That Costs Less
Keep in mind that sometimes the less a mattress costs, the faster it may need to be replaced. But that doesnt mean you cant find a great deal on a great product.
You may look for coupons that could help you to save a few bucks when you purchase a new bed online. Shopping online, in and of itself, can be a great way to reduce the cost of a new mattress, as this process cuts out the expense of brick and mortar stores. Some brands are available through Amazon, which may offer a lower price than their home site.
Many companies offer deep discounts during certain holidays, like Presidents Day or Memorial Day, allowing shoppers to save hundreds of dollars.
Don’t Miss: How Much Is A My Pillow Mattress Topper