Why Trust Mattress Land
Since 1996, Mattress Land has been making strides in the mattress industry to provide our customers the sleep experience they need and deserve. We do that by offering the ultimate customer experience, complete with our trained experts, BedFIT computerized diagnostics, and our impressive showroom. We’ll make sure that you find the right sleep solution for your sleeping habits so you can feel energized in your day-to-day life.
We are also proud of our diverse, employee-driven culture, where our teams work hard toward a common goal. We know that better sleep makes all the difference, and our commitment to changing the landscape of traditional mattress shopping is how we know Mattress Land is one of the best mattress stores around.
How High Do I Want My Bed
Most people prefer the top of their mattress to be about 25 from the floor. At this height, you can sit on the edge of the bed with your feet on the floor. Shorter people may want a lower bed, while those who are taller may prefer more height. If you’re looking for an option for couples, always go with the preferences of the shorter person.
After you choose a Purple Mattress, pick a bed frame or mattress foundation that matches your preferred bed height.
Compare Different Purple Mattresses
|Lightweight to Average Weight Stomach Sleepers|
|People With Back Pain||People with Lower Back Pain|
The Purple Hybrid features the original Purple mattresss comfort grid but adds responsive support coils at the base for improved airflow, bounce, and durability. The Purple Hybrid is a slightly firmer mattress, which leads us to recommend it to back and stomach sleepers.
The original Purple is more affordable and does a better job dampening motion, which makes it a better choice for most budget shoppers and light sleepers who share the bed. However, the springy feel of the Purple Hybrid is excellent foradult activities.
See our full Purple Hybrid Mattress Review to learn more.
Also Check: When Are You Supposed To Replace Your Mattress
What Does The Purple Feel Like
The secret to its sauce is Purple’s Hyper-Elastic Polymer, which is what gives the bed its signature feel. What is Hyper-Elastic Polymer, you ask? It’s a squishy, stretchy, jelly-like material that’s laid out in a comfort grid design in the top layer of the bed. It definitely takes a few nights to get used to, but once you do, it’s a lovely sleeping experience.
It’s pressure-relieving and soft when I’m on my side, almost making you feel buoyant. At the same time, my back never felt like it sagged into the mattress. It’s a really nice balance of both pressure-relieving and supportive. Not to mention it’s extremely bouncy, which should be music to the ears of combination sleepers because it won’t cause any resistance like memory foam does.
Purple’s Shipping Trial And Warranty
Every online mattress company tries to sweeten the deal with a few extra perks to make buying more worth your while, including shipping and a sleep trial.
You’ll get free shipping right to your front door, but the type of shipping depends on the bed you get. If you get a Purple Hybrid, you’ll get standard free shipping. For the Purple Hybrid Premier beds, you’ll actually get free white-glove delivery, and they’ll set up your mattress in-home for you.
You’ll have a solid 100 nights to test out your bed. If by night 99 you find you hate it, you can get a full refund. In case of a manufacturer defect, Purple backs its mattresses with a 10-year limited warranty.
Read Also: Where Is Big Fig Mattress Located
How Long Do Purple Mattresses Last
Around 5-7 years, depending on how well you take care of it. Purple mattresses are more durable than a standard foam bed because of its strong Hyper-Elastic Polymer material. With that said, make sure to rotate the bed every 6 months and try to prevent significant spills.
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as health or medical advice. Always consult a physician or other qualified health provider regarding any questions you may have about a medical condition or health objectives.
Purple Mattresses Vs Alternative Mattresses
Purples proprietary technology has brought us one of the most unique mattresses on the market today. The GelFlex Grid combines pressure relief, support, and cooling properties in a way that makes it one of the best mattresses for a wide variety of sleepers. So, why would anyone choose another mattress?
- Cost Savings: Purple is a luxury mattress brand whose proprietary technology comes with an above-average price point. Shoppers on a budget may want to consider a less expensive mattress.
- Sleeping Position: The Purple Grids body alignment properties relieve pain for many back and side sleepers, but not for stomach sleepers. The grid can cause the hips to fall out of alignment when youre lying on your front, especially if you weigh more than average.
- Warranty: The Purple 10-year warranty is the industry-standard, but there are other mattress companies that offer more generous warranties. Take the Nectar mattress, for example, which comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Trial Period: Purples 100-night sleep trial with a full refund is the bed-in-a-box industry standard. While thats plenty of time for most people to decide on a mattress, you may want longer to ensure that youre getting the right mattress for you. Some companies, like Bear, offer year-long sleep trials.
Also Check: How Much Should A Good Mattress Cost
What Is Purple Mattress New Purple Mattress Thickness
The Purple Mattress, or simply The Purple, is an all-foam mattress, meaning it does not have springs, and uses Purples exclusive grid layer that uses a hyper-elastic polymer. This layer, referred to as the Purple Grid Layer, is comprised of a comfort layer and a support core made out of a polyfoam.
Purple Purple is available at one firmness levelmedium-firm and is sold in different sizes directly to your door. This follows the increasing tendency towards DTC mattress firms which use less overhead to improve the actual product it self.
You May Like: What To Do With Purple Mattress Bag
Testing The Purple Hybrids In Different Sleeping Positions
Depending on your preferred sleeping position and body weight youll need a different amount of pressure relief and support. Take a look below to see how the Purple Hybrids perform for different sleepers.
Are the Purple Hybrids Good Mattresses for Light Sleepers ?
- Light Back Sleepers I think the Hybrid Premier 3 is a great fit for lightweight back sleepers, it should really fill in their lumbar regions for some nice pressure relief, and is plenty supportive for lighter folks. Either of the other hybrids could also work for these sleepers.
- Light Side Sleepers The Premier 4 is the way to go for these sleepers as well. It offers great pressure relief, which is important for side sleepers.
- Light Stomach Sleepers Id recommend these folks stick to the original Purple Hybrid, which should keep their hips lifted up in line with their shoulders.
Are the Purple Hybrids Good Mattresses for Average Weight Sleepers ?
- Average Weight Back Sleepers The Hybrid Premier 3 is a nice fit for these sleepers, since it combines the pressure relief and support. Its an especially nice choice if you move between positions at night.
- Average Weight Side Sleepers The Premier 4 is the best pick for these sleepers. Its thick top layer of hyper-elastic polymer provides plenty of room to sink in for pressure relief at the shoulders and hips.
- Average Weight Stomach Sleepers The original Purple Hybrid should be supportive enough to keep these folks spines in a neutral straight line.
You May Like: What Is The Best Foam Mattress
My Purple Hybrid Mattress Complaints
I will say that the Purple mattresses dont feature the best motion isolation out there. While this isnt a dealbreaker, if youre really easily disturbed at night you might want to opt for a more traditional memory foam mattress, which will do a better job absorbing motion.
I do also want to note that a few customers have complained about the original Purple mattress sagging and forming indentations. I think the Purple Hybrids will be a bit more durable thanks to their innerspring coil layers, but heavier folks especially might want to opt for a different mattress if this is a concern. If you decide to purchase any Purple bed, ensure you place it on a solid platform, not a box spring, and rotate it 180 degrees every few months to increase its lifespan.
How Firm Are The Purple Hybrid Mattresses
Next up, lets get into what these bed-in-a-box hybrids actually feel like. Below, Ill go over what it felt like to sleep on all three of the Purple Hybrid models. Keep in mind that feel is subjective, and can change depending on your body type and preferred sleep position. For reference, Im 59, about 125 lbs, and prefer to sleep on my side.
As you can see in the graphic below, I actually thought all three mattresses had pretty distinct feels, so Ill section them off below so you can get my full thoughts on each one.
Purple Hybrid: I found this mattress to be quite firm, so gave it a 7 out of 10 on the mattress firmness scale. When compared to the industry standard of 6.5 for medium firmness, its clear that this mattress is going to work best for those who like a more supportive feel. I think stomach or back sleepers would benefit most from this feel, as the polymer layer is thin enough to support an even spinal line from hips to shoulders.
Purple Hybrid Premier 3: I gave this bed a 6.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, and felt it had a true medium-firm feel. Id especially recommend this bed to combination sleepers who move between multiple positions in the night and those suffering from lower back pain or looking for a mattress for sciatica. It struck a really nice balance between pressure relief and support that I think could feel comfortable in most sleeping positions.
Don’t Miss: Are Memory Foam Mattresses Better Than Spring
Heavyweight Sleepers Over 230lbs
Generally, the Purple Hybrid Premier is a good option for sleepers who are on the heavier side . The Grid will offer heavyweight back sleepers comfort and support, while heavyweight side sleepers experience targeted pressure relief, ensuring they dont feel cramped or bunched-up at key pressure points. It is actually one of the best mattresses for arthritis.
Stomach sleepers will generally do well with the Purple Hybrid Premier, though sleepers who are particularly heavy may need an even firmer mattress to support their hips.
RELATED: Best Mattress For Side Sleepers
How Firm Is The Bed
The firmness will depend on whether you get the 3- or 4-inch model, albeit not by much. In fact, both are pretty close to a true medium on the firmness scale. We consider them both to be somewhere between a 4 and 6.
The higher your body weight, however, the softer the bed will feel. That means someone with a higher body weight will consider Purple Hybrid Premier to be softer than a person with a moderate body weight.
This is a phenomenon thats not unique to Purple, however. Firmness is just a measure thats somewhat subjective.
You May Like: How To Wrap A Mattress For Moving
Where To Buy Purple Mattresses
Purple mattresses were originally online only, but now you can buy them at Macys, Mattress Firm, and some independent local stores. Purple provides a store locator on their website.
Purple has seasonal sales such as Black Friday. Purple also has website specials, if you buy combinations of their products, such as a mattress and a Purple pillow or sheets.
The company increased its manufacturing capacity in 2020 to fill the growing demand for its mattresses, which are made in the United States.
Mattresses are shipped within 3 to 4 days, according to the Purple site.
Purple has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Amazon reviews have an overall rating of 4.1 stars, with 65 percent 5-star reviews.
According to a 2020 survey by J.D. Power, Purple mattresses have the highest customer satisfaction ratings of online mattresses.
Purple Hybrid Premier 3
The Purple Hybrid Premier is the slightly softer cousin of the Purple Hybrid. The gel Purple Grid on top is 3 inches thick, allowing for just a little bit more give in the shoulders, hips, and other pressure-sensitive areas. With the extra inch of Purple Grid, this mattress is a solid medium, which suits most sleeping positions.
Back sleepers have to be careful not to choose a mattress thats too soft, otherwise, they risk back pain and pressure buildup. A medium mattress may be too soft for some back sleepers, especially those weighing more than 230 pounds. However, if you primarily sleep on your back and youre average weight, a medium mattress should be supportive enough. Plus, the addition of wrapped coils in the base of the Purple Hybrid Premier 3 means youll feel minimal sinkage.
Most side sleepers should feel well supported on the Purple Hybrid Premier 3. A medium mattress is considered the universally comfortable firmness, but for some side sleepers, it may still be too firm. Dedicate side sleepers, especially average weight, and petite sleepers, may enjoy the Purple Hybrid Premier with the 4 Purple Grid on top.
Since the Purple Hybrid Premier 3 is a medium, it could suit some petite stomach sleepers, but overall, we suggest stomach sleepers choose a mattress between medium-firm and firm. This will prevent the risk of spinal misalignment, back pain, or hip pain.
Read Also: Can I Use A Box Spring With Casper Mattress
Is Purple Right For You
The Purple Mattress brand worked on their patented Purple Grid design for 25 years. The Hyper-Elastic Polymer relieves pressure points and offers consistent support without building up heat like memory foam. If youre looking for consistent pressure relief and cooling in an online mattress, the Purple Mattress brand may be right for you.
We recommend trying one out in a showroom if possible, since the feel of Hyper-Elastic Polymer is unlike any other material on the market today. If it doesnt seem right for you, there are plenty of Purple mattress alternatives to consider.
- The proprietary Hyper-Elastic Polymer fashioned into the Purple Grid makes the Purple Mattresses some of the most cooling on the market
- Purple guarantees their beds to last for 10 years, with some customers reporting they last beyond that
- You can use the Purple Mattresses on almost any non-spring foundation, including slatted frames, adjustable beds, or the floor
- Purple sells foundations, blankets, sheets, pillows, and almost anything else you can think of to make your bedroom complete, making shopping for a new bedroom setup easy and convenient
- Purples mattresses can be outside the budget range of many customers
- Purple requires customers to try out their bed for at least 21 nights before returning it for a refund
Purple Vs The Competition
- Both brands carry all-foam and hybrid models fitted with pocketed coils. The Purple Brand uses their Purple Grid in every mattress, while Amerisleep uses plant-based Bio-Pur®. Amerisleep does not carry a Kid Mattress, but their mattress lineup features five beds of different firmnesses, so a Kid Mattress is not necessary.
- Both Amerisleep and Purple make mattresses with cooling features. In the Purple beds, the Purple Grid is infused with gel to dissipate heat, and the grid design ensures warmth and moisture dont get trapped beneath the sleeper. In Amerisleeps beds, the Bio-Pur® foam is made with castor oil and has an advanced open-cell design, so its more cooling and responsive than traditional memory foam.
- Amerisleep has a 20-year warranty, while Purples warranty is the standard 10 years.
- Amerisleeps mattresses are slightly cheaper than Purples , but both brands have regular discounts and deals for customers on a budget.
Recommended Reading: How To Assemble Sleep Number Mattress
Construction Of Purple Hybrid Premier
This model has the exact same construction as Purple Hybrid with the exception of the top layer.
Rather than getting 2 inches of Hyper-Elastic Polymer with the Purple and Hybrid models, you can choose between 3 and 4 inches of the material with the Hybrid Premier mattress.
On the inside, Purple Hybrid Premier is basically the same as the others: pocketed coils, foam, and Hyper-Elastic Polymer. As such, youll have an almost identical overall feel.
Both will give you a weightless feeling thats pretty difficult to describe you just have to try for yourself. The 4-inch model will give you more of this feeling, but the 3-inch model is no slouch either.
The biggest downside with Purple Hybrid Premier, besides the price tag, is just how much the bed weighs.
For a king-size mattress, youre looking at about 200 pounds. If you plan to move anytime soon, you may want to hang off purchasing until youve already set up shop in the new house.
My Final Thoughts About Purple Hybrid Mattresses
Well folks, weve arrived at the end of the review. After going over every possible detail I could think of, its now time to decide if one of these mattresses is right for you. And though I cant make that decision for you, I can leave you with a few final thoughts to help you get there on your own.
Recommended Reading: Which Mattresses Are Made In The Usa
Who Should Steer Clear Of The Purple Mattress
- Stomach sleepers: The original Purple mattress tends to sink in at the hips, pulling the lower back out of alignment if you sleep on your stomach. Only stomach sleepers who weigh less than 130 lbs will remain well-supported on the Purple otherwise, check out the Saatva Classic mattress.
- Couples: The Purple Grid does not isolate motion as well as other mattress materials, like foam, so it may not be great for couples. Instead, we suggest checking out the Nectar mattress.
- Heavyweight people: If you weigh over 230 lbs, youre likely to sink through the thin top layer of the mattress. The result? Too much pressure near heavier body parts. Instead, the Purple Hybrid Premier is a better mattress for heavy people.